The Tale Teller by Anne Hillerman

I really liked the story & most of the characters. I liked how the two stories were interconnected & woven together. I can not tell that this series is being written by a different person.

A dead man found by Bernie while jogging, known to the FBI agent Johnson. A rash of thefts from Senior Citizens. The theft of an elder's bolo-tie found at the Flea Market & returned to him by the seller. An anonymous donation of artifacts, the historic Biil (Dineh woven dress) & silver/turquoise bracelet missing from the box. The death of the young woman working on the inventory of the box.

All tie together in an interesting & engaging story. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jul 1, 2019 |
Initial developments in the story felt choppy, with many short sentences, telling about the action, rather than a finely-nuanced character moving the situation forward through more subtle descriptions. Characters we became familiar with in previous novels, written by Tony Hillerman, and subsequently by Anne, act as if they've regressed in their behaviour, such as Louisa butting into conversations to interject her opinion. In Tale Teller, Bernie comes across as less assertive than her role in earlier narratives.

I'm also not a fan of sudden reveals of family dysfunction from childhood as a reason for thefts and murder. There was nothing adroit about the plot twists and turns, especially as these were interwoven storylines that became rather laborious.

I'm thinking that Anne Hillerman should write novels without trying to imitate her father's style or using his characters. Her plot ideas are not at fault so much as her writing style, which compares poorly with Tony Hillerman's in these chronicles. My biggest niggle is that Anne's work in this genre lacks his evocative style in writing of the native people of the American Southwest. In using different settings and characters, the reader is less likely to inadvertently make comparisons. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 26, 2019 |
I very much enjoyed the strong sense of place in this novel. Even though it was the latest title in a series (that I haven't read) I thought it worked well as a "stand-alone." The elements of Navajo culture and history made it an above average "police procedural" and the interesting characters piqued my curiosity about their history. I'm looking forward to reading some of the previous books to fill in the blanks. ( )
  librarygeek33 | Jun 24, 2019 |
#5 in Anne Hillerman's Leaphorn, Chee & Manuelito series. Great addition to the series with more emphasis on scenery and less on lecture type inserts. Another enjoyable visit to Hillerman's Country. ( )
  MM_Jones | Jun 10, 2019 |
This is another installation in the tales of Bernie Manuelito, her husband, Jim Chee, and Lt. Joe Leaphorn. This case involves a murder, missing valuable artifacts, and a mysterious death. It is very enjoyable. ( )
  DrApple | May 31, 2019 |
For Don
For the past twenty minutes, Joe Leaphorn, former Navajo police lieutenant turned private investigator when the job suited him, had focused on not losing his temper.

Publisher Annotation: Legendary Navajo policeman Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn takes center stage in this riveting atmospheric mystery from New York Times bestselling author Anne Hillerman that combines crime, superstition, and tradition and brings the desert Southwest vividly alive. Leaphorn, Chee & Manuelito novel series, 304pp., 150K… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,398,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible