The Book of Margery Kempe by Margery Kempe

The Book of Margery Kempe (1438)

by Margery Kempe

It's probably a bit unfair to give this only two stars as it is very much of its era and closely follows the form of 'Saints Lives' type books . It isn't meant to be a tightly plotted literary masterpiece, it does not even unfold chronologically. Though I sometimes enjoyed the (unintentional) wry humour of some of it, on the whole I felt a bit manipulated by Margery. I would most definitely come down on the 'madness' side of any argument, but have a sneaking suspicion that may be exactly what Margery would have wanted in order to feed her martyr complex.

On the whole, though, I am glad that I read it and it contains some interesting details about everyday medieval life and some not so everyday aspects, such as travel to foreign countries. It took a lot of sifting in order to glean those bits, though. ( )
  dylkit | Feb 3, 2014 |
Well now that was interesting ( )
1 vote Harrod | Dec 5, 2008 |
This is the first autobiography in English. It was written in 1436, lost for centuries, rediscovered 1934, and is here translated for the first time from Middle English into fully comprehensible modern language. In it Margery Kempe describes her `madness, financial ruin, religious ecstasies, marital problems and dangerous treks to distant shrines' over a period of 40 years. Strong stuff.
Margery Kempe was married, and had 14 children. She lived in Norfolk in the 14th century. After becoming a visionary and mystic she went on pilgrimages, preached, and was tried. Her `special talent', for which she was both revered and castigated, was the way in which she responded to her visions -- visions such as these:

In chapter 36, God deifies and marries Margery, inviting her to kiss him, embrace him and take him to bed' - a graphically described scene. In chapter 81, she has a vision of the crucifixion and subsequent events: `A little later, I thought I saw our Lady walking towards her home ... Once our Lady was home and resting on her bed it occurred to me to make her a nice hot drink, but when I took it to her she told me to throw it away'. (166)

The book is altogether fascinating. ( )
  KayCliff | Aug 6, 2008 |
Windeatt, B.A.
  BillHall | Jan 8, 2008 |
This diary of a Medieval woman is absolutely fascinating. Meant as a book of instruction to her children, Margery decribes her life, which includes, being widowed and caring singly for several children while running her late husband's business. ( )
1 vote aces | Dec 6, 2007 |

Margery Kempeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staley, LynnEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Here begins a short study which offers sinful wretches great reassurance, consolation and comfort, and an understanding of the sublime and inexpressible mercy of our sovereign saviour Christ Jesus.
A little later, I thought I saw our Lady walking towards her home ... Once our Lady was home and resting on her bed it occurred to me to make her a nice hot drink, but when I took it to her she told me to throw it away.

The story of the eventful and controversial life of Margery Kempe wife, mother, businesswoman, pilgrim and visionary is the earliest surviving autobiography in English. Here Kempe (c.1373 c.1440) recounts in vivid, unembarrassed detail the madness that followed the birth of the first of her fourteen children, the failure of her brewery business, her dramatic call to the spiritual life, her visions and uncontrollable tears, the struggle to convert her husband to a vow of chastity and her pilgrimages to Europe and the Holy Land. Margery Kempe could not read or write, and dictated her remarkable story late in life. It remains an extraordinary record of human faith and a portrait of a medieval woman of unforgettable character and courage.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:23 -0400)

1 free

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,612,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible