LE LIVRE DE MARGERY KEMPE. Une aventurière…

LE LIVRE DE MARGERY KEMPE. Une aventurière de la foi au Moyen-Age (original 1438; edition 1989)

by Margery Kempe (Author), Andre Vauchez (Préface), Louis Magdinier (Traduction)

Member:Joop-le-philosophe
Title:LE LIVRE DE MARGERY KEMPE. Une aventurière de la foi au Moyen-Age
Authors:Margery Kempe (Author)
Other authors:Andre Vauchez (Préface), Louis Magdinier (Traduction)
Info:Cerf (1989), 373 pages
Collections:Chasse aux livres
Tags:Butler-Bowdon, Persée

The Book of Margery Kempe by Margery Kempe (1438)

Recently added bysablehart, jhoehn, peteward, Themis-Athena, sahunter17, private library, RyanLiguori
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose, Arthur Ransome, C. S. Lewis

English (9)  French (1)  All languages (10)
From the medieval history reading program. This is called “the first English autobiography”, which is somewhat stretching the term. Margery Kempe was a 14th century middle class Englishwoman from Lynn who had an extreme bout of postpartum depression after her first child and suddenly began having fits of uncontrollable sobbing every time she went to church, and then every time she had religious thoughts – which was often. She had conversations with Jesus, Mary, Mary Magdalene, St. Bridget, St. Katherine, St. John the Evangelist, and pretty much the entire calendar of saints. This went on her entire life, from around 1390 or so to sometime in the 1400s (she’s known to have been born in 1373 and lived at least until she was 65).

She must have been insufferable. Her book relates the trials and tribulations she underwent because her contemporaries didn’t like her crying. She went on pilgrimage to Jerusalem, Rome, Compostella, and Aachen – crying the whole way. Groups of pilgrims would pick her up out of sympathy, tolerate her for a while, and then abandon her in the middle of nowhere after they couldn’t take the sobbing any more. (She was always reassured by whatever saint she was in touch with at the time that her companions were merely hypocritically abashed by her holiness). She’s certainly annoying to the reader, as she makes practically no mention of politics, or description of her travels, or even the names of her family (she took a vow of chastity, but had 14 children; her husband was importunate).

An interesting question to me is how she survived. From what little she reveals, she was middle class (itself sort of a rarity in medieval England); she always managed to find enough money to go on pilgrimages (I don’t know how much it would cost to get from England to Jerusalem in the 14th century, but I imagine it wasn’t within the reach of the lower class). In many cases she depended on the charity of others, who must have been happy to feed her just because she couldn’t cry and eat at the same time. Another interesting observation is no one ever suggested she was mad – although madness was certainly known at the time. Instead she was repeatedly accused of being a heretic – a Lollard. (For those of you who have mislaid your copy of Peterson’s Guide to Medieval Heresy, Lollards were followers of John Wycliffe, who held that humans could understand God by reading the Bible, and didn’t need the intervention of priests. Wycliffe produced the first English translation of the Bible). Kempe was questioned several times by various authorities, including the Archbishop of Canterbury; her views were always pronounced orthodox, although it was often suggested that she go home and act like a normal woman (i.e., weaving or spinning or cooking) rather than crying all the time. She certainly makes no favorable reference to Lollardry in her book, although her direct conversations with Jesus and the saints may have been taken as bypassing priestly intervention.

Very frustrating, much as Margery must have been. ( )
1 vote setnahkt | Dec 21, 2017 |
I read this as part of my degree, so from an academic point of view it was very fascinating and provides a woman's account of the late middle ages and blah blah blah. It's too bad that old Margery was completely off her head most of the time. I am not going to base my rating on academic merit, but rather how pleasurable it was to read. This woman rambles on and on and on. It felt like it was about ten times the length it was, and it is probably the most torturous thing I have ever suffered to read. It is a completely self indulgent and self centred account in which she reiterates the same tired points for 200 odd pages. At a certain point it became a test of endurance, around about the 500th time she relates that God made her weep heavily and people thought she was a heretic for it (this happens every five pages). Do yourself a favour, unless you have to, please don't read this; you will not leave the experience feeling satisfied, and as far as Christian mystics go, I assure you that there are far more interesting accounts to be read than this. ( )
  hickey92 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Enjoyable not as the wisdom of a mystic (Margery had complex psychological reasons for her strange behaviour, undoubtedly), but for its homely glimpses of medieval life. And Margery even gets to meet a true mystic, Mother Julian of Norwich, who treats Margery with characteristic gentleness and wisdom.
1 vote PollyMoore3 | Jun 19, 2015 |
Absolutely fascinating. ( )
  DavidCLDriedger | Apr 22, 2015 |
It's probably a bit unfair to give this only two stars as it is very much of its era and closely follows the form of 'Saints Lives' type books . It isn't meant to be a tightly plotted literary masterpiece, it does not even unfold chronologically. Though I sometimes enjoyed the (unintentional) wry humour of some of it, on the whole I felt a bit manipulated by Margery. I would most definitely come down on the 'madness' side of any argument, but have a sneaking suspicion that may be exactly what Margery would have wanted in order to feed her martyr complex.

On the whole, though, I am glad that I read it and it contains some interesting details about everyday medieval life and some not so everyday aspects, such as travel to foreign countries. It took a lot of sifting in order to glean those bits, though. ( )
1 vote dylkit | Feb 3, 2014 |

Margery Kempeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bale, Anthony PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staley, LynnEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Here begins a short study which offers sinful wretches great reassurance, consolation and comfort, and an understanding of the sublime and inexpressible mercy of our sovereign saviour Christ Jesus.
A little later, I thought I saw our Lady walking towards her home ... Once our Lady was home and resting on her bed it occurred to me to make her a nice hot drink, but when I took it to her she told me to throw it away.

The story of the eventful and controversial life of Margery Kempe wife, mother, businesswoman, pilgrim and visionary is the earliest surviving autobiography in English. Here Kempe (c.1373 c.1440) recounts in vivid, unembarrassed detail the madness that followed the birth of the first of her fourteen children, the failure of her brewery business, her dramatic call to the spiritual life, her visions and uncontrollable tears, the struggle to convert her husband to a vow of chastity and her pilgrimages to Europe and the Holy Land. Margery Kempe could not read or write, and dictated her remarkable story late in life. It remains an extraordinary record of human faith and a portrait of a medieval woman of unforgettable character and courage.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:08 -0400)

The Book of Margery Kempe (c. 1436-8) is the extraordinary account of a medieval wife, mother, and mystic. Known as the earliest autobiography written in the English language, Kempe's Book describes the dramatic transformation of its heroine from failed businesswoman and lustful young wife, to devout and chaste pilgrim. She vividly describes her prayers and visions, as well as the temptations in daily life to which she succumbed before dedicating herself to her spiritual calling. She travelled to the most holy sites of the medieval world, including Rome and Jerusalem. In her life and her boisterous devotion, Kempe antagonized many of those around her; yet she also garnered friends and supporters who helped to record her experiences. Her Book opens a window to the medieval world, and provides a fascinating portrait of one woman's life, aspirations, and prayers. This new translation preserves the forceful narrative voice of Kempe's Book and includes a wide-ranging introduction and useful notes. - Amazon.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,678,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible