The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens

The Old Curiosity Shop

by Charles Dickens

English (39)  Spanish (3)  All (42)
This was one of the first books I read as a preteen almost 60 years ago. I can still remember not being able to put it down. ( )
  ronploude | May 22, 2017 |
an old man and his granddaughter are brought to ruin. They wander. Are chased down by the grandfather's brother and the villain who ruined them. The villain, a coarse dwarf, dies by drowning at the end. The brother, who is rich, finds the grandfather and granddaughter, but only after the granddaughter has died. Very melancholic story. I enjoyed it immensely though. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
i swear this is one of my favorite dickens'. it's like the others (old english poverty) but i like it because nobody has read this one. write me and i'll tell you the bizarre situation that lead me to read this book ... twice. ( )
  Joseph_W_Naus | Jul 20, 2016 |
Well, I read it. I also released it into the wild via Book Crossing. Now I understand the references to Little Nell. At least Dickens saw into the addictive personality (gambling, in this instance). For fans of Dickens, I salute you. I just can't handle the good, suffering little girl as a prototype. ( )
  threadnsong | Jul 4, 2016 |
I struggled with this one. Too many characters were described as "the child", "the small servant", "the single gentleman" etc, which required a lot of concentration in places. How old was Nell? How old was the Marchioness? Also, the divide between the Nell/grandfather thread and the Quilp/Samson/Kit thread was too wide for most of the book. The Nell/grandfather thread was, frankly, depressing. Who thinks being homeless beggars is an idyllic way of life? Nell was so perfect and so lacking in personality, yet so blessed and loved by everyone she met. The grandfather character, although less one-dimensional, was a bit of a worry. Nell might well have been better off being cared for by some one else...

Quilp was fun in a repellant way and Dick was fabulous, but there was far too much rewarding of honesty and goodness. While I wish the world worked like that, the number of people who bent over backwards to help Kit and Nell ceased to be believable to me. I thought Kit was supposed to be a bit "simple", but he turned into a capable and wise man. How old was he? (The age thing seems to be an obsession with me, but he gets married at the end...) Also, what happened to Nell's brother? He just went abroad and faded out of the story. Why was he even in it? What about the first person narrator at the beginning? Who was he? Where did he go?

My least favourite Dickens so far. ( )
  pgchuis | Mar 7, 2016 |

Page, NormanPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Page, NormanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlicke, PaulEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sharp, WilliamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wicklow, the Earl ofIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, SamuelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Although I am an old man, night is generally my time for walking.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140437428, Paperback)

The sound of Little Nell clattering hurriedly over cobblestones immediately sets the stage by bringing to mind the narrow and dangerous streets of Victorian London. No fewer than 20 performers are called upon to conjure up the Dickensian world of wanderers, ne'er-do-wells, con artists, and kind Samaritans--and each performance is excellent. Tom Courtenay plays the sadistic Quilp, "the ugliest dwarf that could be seen anywhere for a penny" with magnificent sarcastic glee, and Teresa Gallagher's silvery, childlike voice is ideally suited for the role of the angelic Little Nell.

Nell is on her way home to the dusty shop where she and her grandfather live a rather mysterious life. The old man disappears every night--visiting gambling dens with the naive hope of winning a fortune. Instead he sinks deeper and deeper into debt. Enter Daniel Quilp, moneylender, who becomes furious upon learning that the grandfather is a pauper and will never be able to repay his tremendous debt. Quilp seizes the curiosity shop and begins making lecherous overtures to Nell, so she and her grandfather steal away one morning to seek their fortunes elsewhere. But the demonic dwarf is never far behind.

Sound effects are employed judiciously and serve mainly as a springboard for the listener's imagination. The sound of a crying baby is enough to convey the image of crowded lodgings and genteel Victorian poverty, while raucous laughter and high-pitched squawks evoke the barely controlled chaos of an outdoor Punch and Judy show. The dramatization pares Dickens's weighty novel down to two and one-half hours, but does so skillfully, retaining Dickens's wit, marvelous dialogue, and delightful characterizations. (Running time: 155 minutes, 2 cassettes) --Elizabeth Laskey

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:42 -0400)

For the character of Little Nell, the beautiful child thrown into a shadowy, terrifying world, Dickens drew upon the tragedy in his own life. His characters are startlingly powerful, especially Quilp, the antithesis of Little Nell.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140437428, 014119958X

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,215,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible