De testamenten by Margaret Atwood
When the van door slammed on Offred’s future at the end of The handmaid’s tale, readers had no way of telling what lay ahead. With The testaments, the wait is over. Margaret Atwood’s sequel picks up the story more than 15 years after Offred stepped into the unknown, with the explosive testaments of three female narrators from Gilead.… (more)
Member:jankaldenbach
Title:De testamenten
Authors:Margaret Atwood
Other authors:Lidwien Biekmann, Tjadine Stheeman
Info:Amsterdam Prometheus 2019
Rating:****1/2

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood (2019)

Future Home of the Living God by Louise Erdrich (vwinsloe)
    Abigail by Magda Szabó (Dilara86)
    Dilara86: One is speculative fiction, the other isn't, but they both take place in a girls-only school at a time of war/unrest and describe female microcosms, friendships between teenage girls and ambiguous authority figures.

English (125)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (133)
If The Handmaid’s Tale is considered by many to be the aegis for our current political arena and its trumpian war on women, this book will be remembered in history as the hallmark of its antidote. Written in Atwood’s usual brilliant style, it rights wrongs and answers the questions we were left with at the conclusion of the previous novel. Told from the point of view of three very different women, it nonetheless reconciles the dystopian world view with the world we left behind, making sense of events as it turns monsters into allies and rights the world once again. Brilliant and captivating, it’s hard to put down. The three main characters, and one in particular, do not let us down. Instead, they deliver a satisfying conclusion that will stay with us long after the book ends. I highly recommend this book both to fans of The Handmaid’s Tale as well as to women everywhere for whom equal rights are as natural and as appreciated as breathing. ( )
  LoriFox | Oct 24, 2020 |
The Testaments comes a long time after the original Handmaid's Tale, which was incredibly original. The sequel's dystopian follow-up reads like a 79 year-old woman wrote it. Does not feel futuristic, or even a jarring flipside of present-day, which is what I wanted. I loved the Aunt Lydia character, but everything else really didn't strengthen the story's overall message. Whatever Atwood's intent may have been, it was blurry. Still, I'm glad I had the chance to read it, but as another reader mentioned, not sure Atwood is my cup of tea, particularly after the abysmal Oryx and Crake. ( )
  Mona07452 | Oct 23, 2020 |
The Short of It:

A solid follow-up to The Handmaid’s Tale and although it’s been years since I’ve read The Handmaid’s Tale, I did not need a refresher before reading this one.

The Rest of It:

Gilead. A place where women are assigned to a certain order based on their “talents”. Some are married off to high-profile men to live a somewhat respectable life, surrounded by other women to cater to whatever they may need, even a baby if they cannot have one naturally. Other women are tasked with finding more women like them. Others, find themselves fighting for the resistance in the form of “Mayday”.

The Testaments focuses on Baby Nicole, who was whisked away from Gilead years ago. Much effort is spent trying to find her but the people involved in her disappearance have organized to the point where her disappearance and her eventual re-introduction is all part of a much larger plan to take Gilead down.

This novel would have been captivating all by itself but reading it during the Supreme Court confirmation process, and realizing how much is currently at stake in the area of women’s reproductive rights, was chilling to say the least.

I enjoyed this read. Atwood is a great storyteller and quickly pulls you in. My only complaint is that it was a little hard to keep track of all the “Aunts”. I often had to go back a few pages to remind myself who was who. My club chose this for our discussion this month and I think it’s a book that needs to be discussed so I am hoping for some good conversation.

For more reviews, visit my blog: Book Chatter. ( )
1 vote tibobi | Oct 20, 2020 |
I feel terrible saying that I am so relieved to have finally finished this book. Unfortunately, I can’t say that I’m any more enlightened or enriched after having read it. It’s more of a stubborn curiosity that prevents me from totally abandoning a book mid way. Sometimes, I have hope that it will somehow redeem itself by the end. I knew that would not be the case in this situation did want to see how it ended.

I have so many issues with this sequel. While I didn’t particularly love The Handmaid’s Tale, the ending was abrupt but acceptable. I think the wondering and confusion sometimes makes for a satisfactory conclusion. Not all stories need sequels or explanations which can further complicate and muddy the original version. I felt that this sequel did little to impress me from the beginning. I wasn’t even half way through when I could predict the course the book would take.

I was disappointed with the predictability and monotony of the novel. I think sequels can be overrated especially when written 30 years post original novel. ( )
  marquis784 | Sep 28, 2020 |
4.5 Stars

I thoroughly enjoyed the book and it does reveal a little more about Gilead but I can understand why a lot of people think this book is not needed.

This book is about the two children of Offred and how Aunt Lydia help overturn Gilead. In general, the book has more plot flow compared to the first and I think the writing is somewhat a little different and more dialogue-heavy.

I'm a tiny bit disappointed that there wasn't any dialogue between Offred and her children in the book but that's just nit-picking on my part.

Overall this is a good book and I can't wait how Hulu implements it into their TV show! ( )
  nikkiyrj | Sep 18, 2020 |
Agency and strength, Atwood seems to be suggesting, do not require a heroine with the visionary gifts of Joan of Arc, or the ninja skills of a Katniss Everdeen or Lisbeth Salander — there are other ways of defying tyranny, participating in the resistance or helping ensure the truth of the historical record. The very act of writing or recording one’s experiences, Atwood argues, is “an act of hope.” Like messages placed in bottles tossed into the sea, witness testimonies count on someone, somewhere, being there to read their words [...]

Atwood, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bar, NomaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dean, SuzanneCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

“Every woman is supposed to have the same set of motives, or else to be a monster.” —GEORGE ELIOT, DANIEL DERONDA
“When we look one another in the face, we’re neither of us just looking at a face we hate—no, we’re gazing into a mirror….Do you really not recognize yourselves in us…?” —OBERSTURMBANNFÜHRER LISS TO OLD BOLSHEVIK MOSTOVSKOY, VASILY GROSSMAN, LIFE AND FATE
“Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake….It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one.” —URSULA K. LE GUIN, THE TOMBS OF ATUAN
Only dead people are allowed to have statues, but I have been given one while still alive.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,667,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible