Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoite

Daddy's Roommate (edition 1990)

by Michael Willhoite

Member:Kayla_Christopherson
Title:Daddy's Roommate
Authors:Michael Willhoite
Info:Alyson Books (1990), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Multicultural

Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoite

I like this book because it talks about a difficult or confusing topic for children. This book is about a little boy's parents getting divorced and his dad then living with a man. I think the illustrations in this book are realistic and help the reader better understand the story. "Now theres somebody new at Daddy's house. Daddy and his roommate Frank live together." I like this line from the book because it shows how children might perceive two men living together originally. The book then goes on to explain that they are gay. The story is told in first person by the little boy, which I think is helpful to the reader. It helps the reader better understand and possibly connect to the story. When the little boy finds out that his dad is gay, he immediately accepts it without hesitation, which I think is extremely important. Homosexuality is a very sensitive subject and I believe it is very important to come off positive, especially in a children's picture book. "Being gay is just one more kind of love and love is the best kind of happiness." I absolutely love this quote and think it is a perfect example to be teaching children. The part of the book that I do not like is how the mother is portrayed in the text and illustrations. She comes off angry and annoyed. I believe this is inappropriate. This book demonstrates an important topic for all children to learn and understand and promotes acceptance. ( )
  smeyer8 | Sep 15, 2014 |
I did not like this book at all. I didn't like the pictures. They seemed stereotypical and fake. There was no plot. The child what just talk about his father's roommate instead of telling a story. It made it really difficult for me to follow what the point of it was.It was't something I could relate to and I don't think many kids would be able to relate to it either. The main idea was it is alright to be gay, or have a gay Dad. ( )
  torilynae | Sep 13, 2014 |
I think this is a somewhat okay book for children that describes homosexuality. The book tells the story from a child's perspective. Throughout the book the child describes all of the fun stuff that his dad and his "roommate" do. The couple do many normal activities, just like anyone else, and the child still loves his father and thinks it's great. The only thing I'm not sure about in this book is the fact that his fathers boyfriend is called a roommate. ( )
  HeatherBallard | Sep 11, 2014 |
This book addresses the concepts of same sex relationships and helping children learninmng to identify,cope and define them.
  iceangel456 | Jun 12, 2014 |
The boy in the story had parents in divorce, He lived with his dad, his dad have a friend live together. They were happy together even his daddy and his daddy's friend gay.
Age group 3-4
Pierce college library
  quanhtran | May 17, 2014 |
To My Dad
My Mommy and Daddy got a divorce last year.

This picture book is an auspicious beginning to the Alyson Wonderland imprint, "which focuses on books for and about the children of lesbian and gay parents." That the venture is being undertaken is in itself commendable: consciousness-raising concerning gay issues can handily begin at an early age with the help of books such as Willhoite's. His text is suitably straightforward, and the format--single lines of copy beneath full-page illustrations--easily accessible to the intended audience. The story's narrator begins with his parents' divorce, and continues, "Now there's somebody new at Daddy's house." The new arrival is male; Frank and Daddy are seen pursuing their daily routine (eating, shaving, sleeping--even fighting), and on weekends the three interact easily on their various outings. "Mommy says Frank and Daddy are gay"--this new concept is explained to the child as "just one more kind of love." Willhoite's cartoony pictures work well here; the colorful characters with their contemporary wardrobes and familiar surroundings lend the tale a stabilizing air of warmth and familiarity.

A young boy discusses his divorced father's new living situation, in which the father and his gay roommate share eating, doing chores, playing, loving, and living.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,733,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible