Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoite

Daddy's Roommate (edition 1990)

by Michael Willhoite

Member:Kayla_Christopherson
Title:Daddy's Roommate
Authors:Michael Willhoite
Info:Alyson Books (1990), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Multicultural

Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoite

Summary: The main character's parents got a divorce and his dad got a roommate. His dad and new roommate did everything together. The little boy spent the weekends with his dad and his roommate Frank. He found out that his dad and Frank were gay, but that they both loved him very much.

Evaluation/Argument: This book did a good job of approaching the topic of gay marriage and divorce in the general sense. I don't think that the pictures added much to the text overall though. I think that if the illustrations were updated they would be able to add more to the text as a whole. The simple sentences will allow readers to easily follow along and understand the text though. This book could be more effective if from the start he told readers that his dad was gay and explained what that looked like in their family. It just sounds weird personally when saying that there was someone new in his dad's house. The author wrote that there was someone new in his dad's house at the beginning of the story. I liked the approach to this topic, but the organization could be done differently. For students who have never been introduced to this topic this book would be a good way to bring up the topic.
The central message of this book is that gay couples are still loving and should be accepted by all, especially any children involved. The children involved should always feel loved. As long as everyone in the relationship is happy that is all that matters. ( )
  mwade4 | Sep 30, 2014 |
At first glance I didn't know what this book could be about. After reading the first couple pages it became clear to me that this book was one meant for children who perhaps had fathers who turned out to be or just so happened to be gay. It was unclear at first, just telling the reader about what Daddy and his roommate do together and how it is completely normal. It wasn't until near the middle of the book that it just came our (pun intended) and said that his daddy was gay. I particularly liked this book because it is one that has probably helped many a child since it's creation understand what their family is going through. Children are always very aware of their family situation despite our attempts to hide it. While children are aware of what may be happening in their family, often times they do not understand what is happening or what that means for them. This book can be used to help explain what I'm sure is incredibly confusing and stressful for a child to go through. The illustrations in the book are very helpful if a little bland. They are good illustrations but nothing on par with "The Invisible Boy". What makes this book special is how it is both a story and a helpful tool for understanding. Not many books can boast about being such a thing. ( )
  MattM50 | Sep 29, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is a great book. I feel this way mainly because of the illustrations and the point of view from which the story is told. I feel that the illustrations made the wording on the pages come alive. Being that each page only had a few words on it, the pictures helped me to visualize what the little boy was going through when his parents got divorced, and the environment in which he lived with his father. In addition, the illustrations helped me to understand that homosexuals live just as ordinary a lifestyle as do heterosexuals. I feel the story being told in first person is also crucial to its profound meaning. I was able to see how the boy felt about Frank, and him living with his father, from his point of view. Often, the voices of children who live with homosexuals are rarely heard, so I felt it to be significant that the voice of the little boy in this story was. The message of this story is gay acceptance. It is important for adults and children to embrace the many different shades the term “love” appears in. ( )
  KimKolb | Sep 23, 2014 |
I really enjoy this book because it informs readers about the gay community. The author portrays the gay community in a positive way. For example, the author wrote, "Being gay is just one more kind of love, and love is the best kind of happiness." There aren't many children books that include the LGBT community so I believe this is a great book and resource for children to get informed. The central message in this book is about having a gay parent.

Summary: The child's parents got a divorce the previous year. His dad got a new "roommate". They lived together, worked together, ate together, slept together, shaved together, and fought and made up with each other. The boy liked the new roommate because he would tell him jokes and riddles, read to him, make him sandwiches, and chase his nightmares away. On the weekends, the boy, his father, and their new roommate would do all sorts of fun activities together. The boy's mother thenn informed the boy that his father and the roommate were gay. The boy was okay with this because he knew that they were happy with each other, and the boy was happy himself! ( )
  ahanch1 | Sep 23, 2014 |
I believe that the message of this story is that not all families are the same on the outside, but they don't need to be. No two families are the same, yet all families share a special, loving bond. It describes that "being gay is just one more kind of love. And love is the best kind of happiness". Although Nick's father has a new "roommate", the household is just as equally loving. The book remains positive throughout.

In my opinion, this is a good read for children of a wide variety of ages. The book discusses a very common situation that is only becoming more common in todays society, a child with homosexual parents. Whether two fathers (like portrayed in this book) or two mothers, the situation is far from the mainstream "normal family". I think that is why I did enjoy the book. The characters and the situation is very relatable to todays society.

I also really enjoyed the illustrations. The pictures are very colorful, bright, and framed. The illustrations are done in an almost water-color style that reminds me of a comic-book. The illustrations fit perfectly with the text. In fact, I believe that this story could be told with these illustrations as a wordless picture book. The pictures show exactly what is occurring, such as all the things that "daddy and his new roommate Frank" do together. These actions include sleeping together, shaving together, working together, and even fighting together. Just like the text, the picture remain positive throughout the story.

I believe that this story pushes the reader to put themselves in the shoes of Nick, the main character. His life changed when his parents got a divorce, yet he is still living a very positive life. The story teaches the reader about acceptance, that "gay is just another kind of love". ( )
  Andrewturner | Sep 22, 2014 |
To My Dad
My Mommy and Daddy got a divorce last year.

This picture book is an auspicious beginning to the Alyson Wonderland imprint, "which focuses on books for and about the children of lesbian and gay parents." That the venture is being undertaken is in itself commendable: consciousness-raising concerning gay issues can handily begin at an early age with the help of books such as Willhoite's. His text is suitably straightforward, and the format--single lines of copy beneath full-page illustrations--easily accessible to the intended audience. The story's narrator begins with his parents' divorce, and continues, "Now there's somebody new at Daddy's house." The new arrival is male; Frank and Daddy are seen pursuing their daily routine (eating, shaving, sleeping--even fighting), and on weekends the three interact easily on their various outings. "Mommy says Frank and Daddy are gay"--this new concept is explained to the child as "just one more kind of love." Willhoite's cartoony pictures work well here; the colorful characters with their contemporary wardrobes and familiar surroundings lend the tale a stabilizing air of warmth and familiarity.

A young boy discusses his divorced father's new living situation, in which the father and his gay roommate share eating, doing chores, playing, loving, and living.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,320,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible