Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoite

Daddy's Roommate (edition 1990)

by Michael Willhoite

Member:Kayla_Christopherson
Title:Daddy's Roommate
Authors:Michael Willhoite
Info:Alyson Books (1990), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Multicultural

Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoite

This book addresses the concepts of same sex relationships and helping children learninmng to identify,cope and define them.
  iceangel456 | Jun 12, 2014 |
The boy in the story had parents in divorce, He lived with his dad, his dad have a friend live together. They were happy together even his daddy and his daddy's friend gay.
Age group 3-4
Pierce college library
  quanhtran | May 17, 2014 |
Daddy and his boyfriend (roommate) started to live and do everything together. Nick didn't know why they were living together and his mom told him they were gay, and then had to explain to him what they meant.

Age: 2-5

Source: Pierce College ECE
  jessica_5906 | May 14, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading this book due to its storytelling perspective and main idea. This book is told from the son’s perspective which I really enjoyed. This makes the book very relatable to young children and shows them how other children may feel if in the same situation as the boy in the story. Also, I enjoyed that this book portrayed the relationship between the boy’s father and his father’s partner as a completely normal, healthy, and loving relationship. The main message of this text is that homosexual relationships are normal and full love as much as heterosexual relationships are. ( )
  kjacob9 | Mar 24, 2014 |
“Daddy's Roommate” is a picture book that explains life with a gay father. I enjoyed the simplicity of this book, I think that is what made the point so clear. The book was almost dull for me to read because everything the child was doing was something children tend to do with their parent(s)/guardian(s), there was no surprise. The best part for me in the book was when the mom had to explain what was going on with Dad and his roommate. She basically states the main point of the book in one sentence, “Being gay is just one more kind of love.”. The main idea of this book is that although their relationship appears to be weird or different it is actually the same it just looks different from societies standards. Because this is the main idea, the simplicity makes sense. However, this bore me so I think that this book would be better for younger children to read alone. ( )
  CatherineWillett | Mar 8, 2014 |
To My Dad
My Mommy and Daddy got a divorce last year.

This picture book is an auspicious beginning to the Alyson Wonderland imprint, "which focuses on books for and about the children of lesbian and gay parents." That the venture is being undertaken is in itself commendable: consciousness-raising concerning gay issues can handily begin at an early age with the help of books such as Willhoite's. His text is suitably straightforward, and the format--single lines of copy beneath full-page illustrations--easily accessible to the intended audience. The story's narrator begins with his parents' divorce, and continues, "Now there's somebody new at Daddy's house." The new arrival is male; Frank and Daddy are seen pursuing their daily routine (eating, shaving, sleeping--even fighting), and on weekends the three interact easily on their various outings. "Mommy says Frank and Daddy are gay"--this new concept is explained to the child as "just one more kind of love." Willhoite's cartoony pictures work well here; the colorful characters with their contemporary wardrobes and familiar surroundings lend the tale a stabilizing air of warmth and familiarity.

A young boy discusses his divorced father's new living situation, in which the father and his gay roommate share eating, doing chores, playing, loving, and living.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,504,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible