Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress…

Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle (edition 2019)

by Emily Nagoski PhD (Author)

1164164,122 (4)1
"This groundbreaking book explains why women experience burnout differently than men--and provides a simple, science-based plan to help women minimize stress, manage emotions, and live a more joyful life. The gap between what it's really like to be a woman and what people expect women to be is a primary cause of burnout, because we exhaust ourselves trying to close the space between the two. How can you "love your body" when everything around you tells you you're inadequate? How do you "lean in" at work when you're already giving 110% and aren't recognized for it? How can you live happily and healthily in a world that is constantly telling you you're too fat, too needy, too noisy, and too selfish? Sisters Emily Nagoski, Ph.D., the bestselling author of Come as You Are, and Amelia Nagoski, DMA, are here to help end the cycle of overwhelm and exhaustion, and confront the obstacles that stand between women and well-being. With insights from the latest science, prescriptive advice, and helpful worksheets and exercises, Burnout reveals: what you can do to complete the biological stress cycle--and return your body to a state of relaxation. How to manage the "monitor" in your brain that regulates the emotion of frustration. How the Bikini Industrial Complex makes it difficult for women to love their bodies--and how to fight back. Why rest, human connection, and befriending your inner critic are key to recovering from and preventing burnout. All women will find something transformative in these pages--and be empowered to create positive and lasting change"--"This groundbreaking book explains why women experience burnout differently than men--and provides a simple, science-based plan to help women minimize stress, manage emotions, and live a more joyful life. The gap between what it's really like to be a woman and what people expect women to be is a primary cause of burnout, because we exhaust ourselves trying to close the space between the two. How can you "love your body" when everything around you tells you you're inadequate? How do you "lean in" at work when you're already giving 110% and aren't recognized for it? How can you live happily and healthily in a world that is constantly telling you you're too fat, too needy, too noisy, and too selfish? Sisters Emily Nagoski, Ph.D., the bestselling author of Come as You Are, and Amelia Nagoski, DMA, are here to help end the cycle of overwhelm and exhaustion, and confront the obstacles that stand between women and well-being. With insights from the latest science, prescriptive advice, and helpful worksheets and exercises, Burnout reveals: - what you can do to complete the biological stress cycle--and return your body to a state of relaxation. - how to manage the "monitor" in your brain that regulates the emotion of frustration. - how the Bikini Industrial Complex makes it difficult for women to love their bodies--and how to fight back. - why rest, human connection, and befriending your inner critic are key to recovering from and preventing burnout"--… (more)
Member:castiron
Title:Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle
Authors:Emily Nagoski PhD (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2019), 304 pages
Collections:Currently reading, Read but unowned

Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle by Emily Nagoski (Author)

Super important! Though I think I love their podcast, Feminist Survival Project 2020, even more. ( )
  SamMusher | Feb 20, 2020 |
I had very high hopes and expectations for this book, especially as the beginning started out so well, giving advice and suggestions on how to deal with and complete the stress cycle. However, later on in the book, I felt lost - the chapters and information presented didn't seem to deal with burnout and how one can handle it. I understood the metaphors but often found that relating those to real life was not as simple. It seemed the book began straying from its original intentions.

*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.* ( )
  JaxlynLeigh | Jan 2, 2020 |
This book resonated with me. The authors’ strong but crucial message for women is told with warmth and humor. I loved the references to pop culture, including everything from Star Trek to Jane Eyre. They cover body image, the importance of sleep, completing the stress cycle, and more.

“We get exhausted and we wonder if we can accomplish any of the things we hope for, without destroying ourselves in the process.” ( )
  bookworm12 | Dec 27, 2019 |
"Burnout" got my attention with the title. As a working mom who is always feeling a bit overwhelmed, I knew many other women share the same struggles in taking good care of ourselves and trying not to do too much. Stress becomes an albatross that few can remove from their necks, and I figured reading a book like this might provide some insight on how to better balance this crazy life.

What I found were two women who have experienced both the negatives and positives of stress. It is not really how much stress we take on, but how we deal with the stressors. I could list many examples of times when I knew I was doing too much, but still kept pushing myself. Often I found I ended up sick or feeling sad. There are many reasons why women can't stop saying "yes" to all those things vying for our attention, and Emily and Amelia take turns addressing why, specifically calling the big issue "Human Giver Syndrome." We give, and we give and we give...but never take anything for ourselves or think of self-care. So we end up facing burnout.

This is a mainstream publishing book, so be prepared for some coarse language, but honestly, I just kept pressing on through that to get to the good stuff. And believe me when I say there is a LOT of useful, helpful information here. I would recommend this book to any woman who finds herself continually putting herself last, even to her detriment. I learned a lot about the physical and physiological reasons why long term stress can be deadly, and I think this should be read by those who think that you can keep running at this pace with no ill side effects. These authors are new to me, but I believe I will look their other books up. This is one to read through slowly so you can benefit from the information given and put those new skills to work.

I appreciated the opportunity to review early from #NetGalley and Penguin Random House. All opinions are my own and I was not required to leave a review. ( )
  EmilyPotter | Mar 20, 2019 |

Nagoski, EmilyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nagoski, AmeliaAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,396,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible