The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek: A Novel…

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Kim Michele Richardson (Author)

"Cussy Mary Carter is the last of her kind, her skin the color of a blue damselfly in these dusty hills. But that doesn't mean she's got nothing to offer. As a member of the Pack Horse Library Project, Cussy delivers books to the hill folk of Troublesome, hoping to spread learning in these desperate times. But not everyone is so keen on Cussy's family or the Library Project, and the hardscrabble Kentuckians are quick to blame a Blue for any trouble in their small town. The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek is a story of raw courage, fierce strength, and one woman's determination to bring a little bit of hope to the darkly hollers"--… (more)
Member:suedutton
Title:The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek: A Novel
Authors:Kim Michele Richardson (Author)
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2019), 320 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2020sept

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson

Christy by Catherine Marshall (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books are about young women in the early 20th century trying to educate Appalachians and break the cycle of poverty.
    The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes (out-and-about)
    out-and-about: Same time frame and setting, about the PackHorse library in KY.
    Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani (dara85)
    dara85: Takes place in the past in Appalachia. Main character's friend and matchmaker drives a book mobile.

Cussy Blue and her father are some of the last of the blue-skinned Appalachian dwellers. It’s a rare genetic mutation that causes the hemoglobin in the blood to be blue, giving the skin its characteristic blue color.

As such, they are the targets of suspicion and prejudice. No one wants to marry a blue woman – even when Cussy’s father, who knows he is dying, offers his land as dowry.

After a brief but disastrous marriage, Cussy must find a new way. She does that by applying to the 1930’s Kentucky Pack Horse Librarians’ Project. As the people who receive the application can’t tell her color, she is hired.

And while there are those who try to thwart and belittle her, Cussy finds her way; not only enduring but triumphing.

I had no idea this was a real disorder until I read this book. The discovery of its cause happened much later than this book recounts, but changing the scientific timeline in no way takes away from the story.

Heartwarming story with an upbeat ending. ( )
  streamsong | Oct 8, 2020 |

Kim Michele Richardson - The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek: A fascinating slice of history, with emotional depth and timely themes. #cursorybookreviews #cursoryreviews ( )
  khage | Sep 22, 2020 |
Read for #readharder 10 book in a rural setting (could also fit non ww 2 historical prompt #7)

So many good characters in this book! Interesting background and setting but it’s the people I’ll remember from this one. I felt like I didn’t get to spend enough time with many of the individual characters which is why this is a 4 star and not a 5 star for me. I appreciated the pacing, the story moved through easily. Many of the characters intertwined in different pieces also which was very well crafted. The messaging was not overdone either, and did not interrupt the storyline. The writing was a bit more terse than I like but clear and descriptive enough to draw me in. Recommended for anyone who’s into books or Appalachian history, or who is looking for a different take on what it means to be an outcast. ( )
1 vote out-and-about | Sep 13, 2020 |
There is a lot of potential here, but it just fell flat for me. I loved Cussy's job and her heritage, but found most of the novel boring. The storyline was okay and it's perfect for people wanting an easy read that is somewhat interesting. It's not riveting. It's not a page-turner. The hillbilly language, which was supposed to sound authentic, just got irritating. That being said, I've read worse. ( )
1 vote Beth.Clarke | Sep 5, 2020 |
Really awesome book based on accounts of library books first delivered by horseback in the Kentucky mountains. It seems it was hardship enough being a woman in those days, much harder for one of colour. ( )
  myers3 | Aug 30, 2020 |

Richardson, Kim Micheleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schorr, KatieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The very existence of libraries affords the best evidence that we may yet have hope for the future of man. - T. S. Eliot
Kentucky, 1936
The librarian and her mule spotted it at the same time.

Kim Michele Richardson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,412,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible