Nicholas Nickleby (Oxford World's Classics)…

Nicholas Nickleby (Oxford World's Classics) (original 1836; edition 2009)

by Charles Dickens, Paul Schlicke (Editor)

Member:englishrose60
Title:Nicholas Nickleby (Oxford World's Classics)
Authors:Charles Dickens
Other authors:Paul Schlicke (Editor)
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (2009), Paperback, 926 pages
Tags:1010 Challenge, England, 1001

Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens (1836)

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (aces)
    The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne (roby72)
    The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books are early Dickens' novels and written in an episodic, picaresque style. Although Nicholas Nickleby is more plot-driven than The Pickwick Papers and contains some darker themes, both works are fundamentally happy Dickens novels and readers who enjoy one would probably enjoy the other.… (more)

English (50)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (52)
I started re-reading Nicholas Nickleby thinking it was something like my 13th or 14th favorite Dickens novel (Hard Times has an uncontestable hold on 15th, or last, place). In reading the second quarter or so that judgment felt vindicated. After the excellent last half, however, I am starting to think I was unfair. Not that there are other obvious candidates one would want to downgrade.

There is an unfair misunderstanding of Dickens that he wrote in a hurry, by the word, in serials, and that as a result his books are not well thought out integrated novels but instead one incident following another in a somewhat muddled progression. That is unfair for just about all of Dickens ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
I found this Dickens classic very enjoyable. I had seen a film adaptation so I was familiar with the basic plot, but (as always with Dickens!) the book has so much more to it! I was surprised by the character of Nicholas's mother in particular -- so self-centered and annoying! ( )
  leslie.98 | Apr 29, 2014 |
Simon Vance does a marvelous job with the narration, although I found that the voice he used for Smike a bit grating. Also, when listening on headphones (rather than speakers), some sections of the audiobook had a very low background noise that was distracting. ( )
  leslie.98 | Apr 29, 2014 |
It's with a weary heart that I end my patient, obdurate reading of one of the great Victorian novels. Flowery syntax aside, let me confess that I meant, at many times, to abandon reading. The punctuation and epithet of this book was very trying to me. In the end, my unusual patience prevailed and I now declare that this was a not completely futile experience.

It was justly so that the book ended where it did. Had I ditched this book I would be under the impression that all would end well. Alas it did not. Nicholas Nickleby would have earned 4 stars had the character called Smike - my fondest character in this book - not had a link with the Nicklebies. All grumblings aside, all imagined or inherent grievances aside, I wouldn't say no to a second Charles Dickens novel. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jan 15, 2014 |
This was a great read. Romance and evil villains and minor theatricals. A from rags-to-riches kind of tale. It was relaxing to read about a time where things moved only as fast as your feet (or your horses) and not faster than your brain can conceive of. If everyone today read a course of Dickens I think we'd be much less stressed out and more happy. Turn off your screens. ( )
  kylekatz | Nov 14, 2013 |

Charles Dickensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Browne, Hablot KnightIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ford, MarkContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jennings, AlexNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, DavidEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlicke, PaulEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorndike, Dame SybilIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There once lived, in a sequestered part of the county of Devonshire, one Mr Godfrey Nickleby: a worthy gentleman, who, taking it into his head rather late in life that he must get married, and not being young enough or rich enough to aspire to the hand of a lady of fortune, had wedded an old flame out of mere attachment, who in her turn had taken him for the same reason.

Story of Nicholas Nickleby, a young man in nineteenth-century England.

When Nicholas Nickleby is left penniless after his father’s death, he appeals to his wealthy uncle to help him find work and to protect his mother and sister. But Ralph Nickleby proves both hard-hearted and unscrupulous, and Nicholas finds himself forced to make his own way in the world.

Nicholas’s adventures gave Dickens the opportunity to portray a extraordinary gallery of rogues and eccentrics: Wackford Squeers, tyrannical headmaster of Dotheboys Hall, a school for unwanted boys; the slow-witted orphan Smike, rescued by Nicholas; and the gloriously theatrical Mr and Mrs Crummle, and their daughter, the ‘infant phenomenon’. Like many of Dickens’s novels, Nicholas Nickleby is characterized by his outrage at cruelty and social injustice, but it is also a flamboyantly exuberant work, revealing Dickens’s comic genius at its most unerring.

Mark Ford’s introduction compares Nicholas Nickleby to eighteenth-century picaresque novels, and examines Dickens’s criticism of the ‘Yorkshire Schools’, his social satire and use of language. This edition also includes the original illustrations by ‘Phiz’, a chronology and a list for further reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:39 -0400)

Film & TV tie-in edition.

Thirteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140435123, 0141199814

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,156,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible