Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens

Nicholas Nickleby (original 1836; edition 1839)

by Charles Dickens, Mark Ford (Editor), Mark Ford (Contributor)

4,073None1,243 (3.97)180
Member:spllover
Title:Nicholas Nickleby
Authors:Charles Dickens
Other authors:Mark Ford (Editor), Mark Ford (Contributor)
Info:Penguin Classics (1999), Paperback, 864 pages
Collections:Your library, Own, Read

Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens (1836)

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (aces)
    The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne (roby72)
    The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books are early Dickens' novels and written in an episodic, picaresque style. Although Nicholas Nickleby is more plot-driven than The Pickwick Papers and contains some darker themes, both works are fundamentally happy Dickens novels and readers who enjoy one would probably enjoy the other.… (more)

English (48)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (50)
It's with a weary heart that I end my patient, obdurate reading of one of the great Victorian novels. Flowery syntax aside, let me confess that I meant, at many times, to abandon reading. The punctuation and epithet of this book was very trying to me. In the end, my unusual patience prevailed and I now declare that this was a not completely futile experience.

It was justly so that the book ended where it did. Had I ditched this book I would be under the impression that all would end well. Alas it did not. Nicholas Nickleby would have earned 4 stars had the character called Smike - my fondest character in this book - not had a link with the Nicklebies. All grumblings aside, all imagined or inherent grievances aside, I wouldn't say no to a second Charles Dickens novel. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jan 15, 2014 |
This was a great read. Romance and evil villains and minor theatricals. A from rags-to-riches kind of tale. It was relaxing to read about a time where things moved only as fast as your feet (or your horses) and not faster than your brain can conceive of. If everyone today read a course of Dickens I think we'd be much less stressed out and more happy. Turn off your screens. ( )
  kylekatz | Nov 14, 2013 |
One of the great books of English literature - so no need to bore you with a review. I loved it.
Also - the unabridged audio read by Alex Jennings is nothing short of phenomenal. ( )
  Scarchin | Nov 12, 2013 |
a man dies, leaving his wife, son[19] and daughter[15] to the mercy of his brother. Said brother is a money-loving scoundrel. The son, Nicholas, sets out to earn money to support them while the Uncle throws the daughter[Kate] into the path of a foppish nobleman and the older lord who is leaching off of him, to entice them for money's sake. Ends with Nicholas returning to London and getting into a fight with the older lord. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
This is silly, but I guess this is the edition I read on the Kindle. It was fine. It was a quicker read than I expected. Also I didn't realize how little of the book took place at Dotheboys Hall. That was a relief.
  franoscar | Jul 6, 2013 |

Charles Dickensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Browne, Hablot KnightIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ford, MarkContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jennings, AlexNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, DavidEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlicke, PaulEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorndike, Dame SybilIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There once lived, in a sequestered part of the county of Devonshire, one Mr Godfrey Nickleby: a worthy gentleman, who, taking it into his head rather late in life that he must get married, and not being young enough or rich enough to aspire to the hand of a lady of fortune, had wedded an old flame out of mere attachment, who in her turn had taken him for the same reason.

Story of Nicholas Nickleby, a young man in nineteenth-century England.

When Nicholas Nickleby is left penniless after his father’s death, he appeals to his wealthy uncle to help him find work and to protect his mother and sister. But Ralph Nickleby proves both hard-hearted and unscrupulous, and Nicholas finds himself forced to make his own way in the world.

Nicholas’s adventures gave Dickens the opportunity to portray a extraordinary gallery of rogues and eccentrics: Wackford Squeers, tyrannical headmaster of Dotheboys Hall, a school for unwanted boys; the slow-witted orphan Smike, rescued by Nicholas; and the gloriously theatrical Mr and Mrs Crummle, and their daughter, the ‘infant phenomenon’. Like many of Dickens’s novels, Nicholas Nickleby is characterized by his outrage at cruelty and social injustice, but it is also a flamboyantly exuberant work, revealing Dickens’s comic genius at its most unerring.

Mark Ford’s introduction compares Nicholas Nickleby to eighteenth-century picaresque novels, and examines Dickens’s criticism of the ‘Yorkshire Schools’, his social satire and use of language. This edition also includes the original illustrations by ‘Phiz’, a chronology and a list for further reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:39 -0400)

CLASSIC FICTION. This novel includes an introduction and notes by Dr T.C.B. Cook, and illustrations by Hablot K. Browne (Phiz). Following the success of "Pickwick Papers" and "Oliver Twist", "Nicholas Nickleby" was hailed as a comic triumph and firmly established Dickens as a 'literary gentleman'. It has a full supporting cast of delectable characters that range from the iniquitous Wackford Squeers and his family, to the delightful Mrs Nickleby, taking in the eccentric Crummles and his travelling players, the Mantalinis, the Kenwigs and many more. Combining these with typically Dickensian elements of burlesque and farce, the novel is eminently suited to dramatic adaptation. So great was the impact as it left Dickens' pen that many pirated versions appeared in print before the original was even finished. .… (more)

Thirteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140435123, 0141199814

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible