Secrets of the Dead: A serial killer…

Secrets of the Dead: A serial killer thriller with an ancient Egyptian…

by Murray Bailey

931,366,188 (3.5)None

No tags.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book free through the Early Reviewer scheme.

This was an okay book, pretty much what I expected from the synopsis, unfortunately nothing that blew me away. It was also a great shame that there was a major mistake about three quarters of the way through the book, making me flick back to check what I had just read. I really wish the proof reading was better. I was very disappointed in the ending. On the plus side I loved learning about Egyptian history and myths and how different religions intertwine with each other. ( )
  JaneDickerson | Feb 15, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Let me get right to it. SECRETS OF THE DEAD by Murray Bailey is entertaining, fast-paced, and very interesting. So why not five stars? Because there are some misfires. First, a name change is in order. There are already multiple books out there entitled SECRETS OF THE DEAD, plus a popular PBS TV series. Second, there are numerous typos. Yes, I know, this is increasingly the norm in publishing, but that doesn’t make it any less disappointing. There were also some confusing parts—places where I felt Mr. Murray assumed his readers knew more about Egyptology, Christianity, and religion in general, than is likely. Having said this, I did find the parallels between the various religions interesting. It reminded me of how myths are created, as detailed in Joseph Campbell’s book, THE HERO WITH A THOUSAND FACES.

And Mr. Murray did have some lapses in logic. For example . . .

SPOILER ALERT!

Alex has been desperately searching for his girlfriend, Vanessa, throughout the end of the book. As his search comes to an end, he thinks he witnesses her murder and goes to her shrouded body. He starts to lift the covering from her face and someone says, “Sir?” and he looks away. Seriously? He looks away before he sees the face underneath the shroud? No way. The only thing that would justify him looking away would be if the voice belonged to Vanessa, and she was calling his name. I know Mr. Murray was trying to build tension and mystery, but it was so illogical it hurt both.

And finally I did not care for the Hollywood ending. We’ve spent the entire novel searching for a powerful secret symbol, and in the end we’re led to believe the secret is . . . love? That is such a typical Hollywood cliché—all the world needs is love. It would have been far better to have had a true secret symbol that led us to a sequel.

All of this aside, I found Mr. Murray’s SECRETS OF THE DEAD highly entertaining, and looked forward to reading it each evening. Given that, I would definitely recommend it.

NOTE: I was given a free copy in exchange for an honest review, and the opinions expressed are mine alone. ( )
  FredLHolmes | Jan 31, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If you like ancient Egyptian history, mystery and intrigue, you will love this book. Charlie and Alex make a good team tracking clues and solving ancient clues and finding a dangerous serial killer.
  nncyguild | Jan 6, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Murray Bailey's book Secrets of the Dead is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Murray Bailey is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,525,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible