Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain

The Prince and the Pauper (1881)

by Mark Twain, Mark Twain

The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman (infiniteletters)
    The Parent Trap by Vic Crume (Sasha_Doll)
    Sasha_Doll: Sure, it's twice a movie, but the vintage scholastic version of The Parent Trap is a really fun read for people who enjoy it when two kids switch places.
    Johan et Pirlouit, tome 8 : Le Sire de Montrésor by Peyo (Artymedon)
    My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand (Othemts)

English (52)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (56)
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | May 17, 2019 |
This is my second read of this book. I read it when I was a kid and remembered exactly none of it.

It is essentially a children's book, but it is unflinching in it's message of the effects of poverty and cruelty. It's also packed with wit and sarcasm. It's heads above any of the kid's books of today.

If you want the modern, adult twist on this story there's always the classic movie "Trading Places". I thought of it several times while reading Prince and the Pauper.

Oh. And this - The next person who says the phrase "Twain was a man of his time." is going to get a thump on the head from me. Yes, he was. An intelligent man who was able to articulate complicated views and thoughts without Twitter posts, .gifs and smilies. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
I thought I was enlightened and knew everything. I thought I had read every masterpiece ever written, and then a frined came and recommended this book to me and I went back to my actual size and confessed with shame that I had never read Mark Twain's writing.

So I quickly went to Google and checked who was the writer and then I read this book. Immediately I was fascinated - less than the story itself and more than the writing and the great ideas behind it considering the date of writing itself. ( )
  Ramonremires | Feb 18, 2019 |
This was a fun, clean, straightforward tale written clearly for children, with clear moral lessons and such romantic ideals as the noble knight helping the poor king, and everyone getting justice at the end. There is a plethora of disbelieved identities, an indictment of the unfair and cruel justice system of the Tudor era, but also an admiration for the short but compassionate reign of the young king Edward VI. Twain did his research, and was clearly having fun with the archaic language and describing the overindulgance of ceremonies in the court. A fun, short read. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
DNF. Maybe I'll finish it someday. :)
  SarahGraceGrzy | Oct 2, 2018 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

The quality of mercy...is twice bless'd; / It blesseth him that gives, and him that takes; / 'Tis mightiest in the mightiest: it becomes / The throned monarch better than his crown. --The Merchant of Venice
To / those good-mannered and agreeable children / Susie and Clara Clemens / this book / is affectionately inscribed / by their father.
In the ancient city of London, on a certain autumn day in the second quarter of the sixteenth century, a boy was born to a poor family of the name of Canty, who did not want him.
This is the main work for The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.
ISBN 0451516281 is for the omnibus The Prince and the Pauper; A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
This work should not be combined with either the book by Mark Twain or with any of its various film adaptations. If you have a copy of this work, please consider supplying the name of the author (if it is a book) or the director (if it is a film).
ISBN 0140436693 is a Penguin edtion of The Prince and the Pauper.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528352, Mass Market Paperback)

100th anniversary edition

Two boys: the same age, almost the same face. The one difference: Tom Canty is a child of the London slums; Edward Tudor is heir to the throne. How insubstantial this difference is becomes clear when a chance encounter leads to an exchange of clothing and of roles...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:48 -0400)

When young Edward VI of England and Tom Canty, a poor boy who looks just like him, exchange places, each learns a valuable lesson about the other's very different station in life in sixteenth-century England.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,515,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible