The Prince and the Pauper (Barnes & Noble…

The Prince and the Pauper (Barnes & Noble Classics) (original 1882; edition 2004)

by Mark Twain, Robert Tine (Introduction)

Member:morryb
Title:The Prince and the Pauper (Barnes & Noble Classics)
Authors:Mark Twain
Other authors:Robert Tine (Introduction)
Info:Barnes & Noble Classics (2004), Edition: Reissued in This Editon 2004, Paperback, 231 pages
Tags:Literature, Historical Fiction

The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain (1882)

The Parent Trap by Vic Crume (Sasha_Doll)
    Sasha_Doll: Sure, it's twice a movie, but the vintage scholastic version of The Parent Trap is a really fun read for people who enjoy it when two kids switch places.
    Johan et Pirlouit, tome 8 : Le Sire de Montrésor by Peyo (Artymedon)
    The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman (infiniteletters)

English (31)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (34)
(8.4)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
After a chance meeting, Edward, Prince of Wales (son of Henry VIII) and poor Tom Canty, curious about what it would feel like to wear the other's clothes, swap clothes. They are both astonished when they look in a mirror and realize their extraordinary likeness. Tom looks like the prince in the prince's clothes, and Edward looks like Tom in Tom's rags. While still wearing Tom's clothes, Prince Edward ends up outside the palace grounds. No one believes him when he says he is the Prince of Wales. No one believes Tom when he says he is not the prince. Their inability to recognize faces and surroundings that should be familiar is blamed on a fit of madness. Then Henry VIII dies, and both boys despair of ever going back to their rightful places.

Although I've been familiar with the basic plot for as long as I can remember, this is the first time I've read the story. I had formed an impression that the prince was a fictional character, so I was surprised when he turned out to be Edward VI. (I have no doubt that Tom Canty is fictional, though!) If I had known how much I would enjoy the story, I wouldn't have put it off for so long. Even though the outcome is never in doubt, each boy's adventures in the other's world kept me a captivated listener. The only negative feature worth noting is the overly flowery language, which doesn't seem anywhere close to authentic. While this is a classic of children's literature, the language will probably cause many 21st century young readers to lose interest before the plot takes hold of them. ( )
  cbl_tn | Aug 2, 2014 |
I think I just did not like the style, or maybe it is because I knew the concept of the story, but I had a very hard time pay attention to this one even though I liked the narrator's voice and he did an great job narrating. I tried reading it when I was younger, and could not get into it then, either. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jul 26, 2014 |
A free audiobook is available from https://librivox.org/ ( )
  captbirdseye | Mar 4, 2014 |
Audiobook - Edward VI, Prince of Wales, meets a poor boy named Tom Canty who looks just like him. They trade clothes for fun, which results in the true prince being kicked out of the castle and Tom being confused for the prince. Edward roams around the city being abused by Tom's father, captured and forced to steal by a band of thieves, and getting arrested twice. He learns the true plight of his poorest subjects, which allows him to eventually become a kind and fair king. Tom learns, um, how to behave at a fancy dinner party?

The general plot - a poor person and a rich person look alike and trade lives - is timeless and well-known. The details of the plot are just decent historical fiction. It's an interesting look into 1540s England, but not much more. It would have been nice if Tom had learned some kind of lesson in the end, too, like valuing his mother and sister or something. But nope. The narrator, Steve West, was very good, especially considering the dialogue is all Tudor-era-appropriate. ( )
  norabelle414 | Nov 23, 2013 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

The quality of mercy...is twice bless'd; / It blesseth him that gives, and him that takes; / 'Tis mightiest in the mightiest: it becomes / The throned monarch better than his crown. --The Merchant of Venice
To / those good-mannered and agreeable children / Susie and Clara Clemens / this book / is affectionately inscribed / by their father.
In the ancient city of London, on a certain autumn day in the second quarter of the sixteenth century, a boy was born to a poor family of the name of Canty, who did not want him.
This is the main work for The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.
ISBN 0140436693 is a Penguin edtion of The Prince and the Pauper.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528352, Mass Market Paperback)

100th anniversary edition

Two boys: the same age, almost the same face. The one difference: Tom Canty is a child of the London slums; Edward Tudor is heir to the throne. How insubstantial this difference is becomes clear when a chance encounter leads to an exchange of clothing and of roles...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:12 -0400)

When young Edward VI of England and Tom Canty, a poor boy who looks just like him, exchange places, each learns a valuable lesson about the other's very different station in life in sixteenth-century England.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

Eleven editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,318,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible