The Prince and the Pauper (Barnes & Noble…

The Prince and the Pauper (Barnes & Noble Classics) (original 1882; edition 2004)

by Mark Twain, Robert Tine (Introduction)

Member:morryb
Title:The Prince and the Pauper (Barnes & Noble Classics)
Authors:Mark Twain
Other authors:Robert Tine (Introduction)
Info:Barnes & Noble Classics (2004), Edition: Reissued in This Editon 2004, Paperback, 231 pages
Tags:Literature, Historical Fiction

The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain (1882)

The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman (infiniteletters)
    The Parent Trap by Vic Crume (Sasha_Doll)
    Sasha_Doll: Sure, it's twice a movie, but the vintage scholastic version of The Parent Trap is a really fun read for people who enjoy it when two kids switch places.
    Johan et Pirlouit, tome 8 : Le Sire de Montrésor by Peyo (Artymedon)

English (39)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All (42)
I remember enjoying this book as a child (although I can't remember what age) and since my son is interested in Mark Twain, we listened to the audiobook on a recent road trip. It was a little bit more complicated than I remembered, and frankly we both had trouble following parts of the story, but perhaps that is a challenge of audiobooks compared with print. The basic story is well-known in which the poor and abused Tom Canty meets Prince Edward and discovering they resemble one another, swap clothing. Through a comedy of errors, they are separated and end up with Tom unwillingly becoming king and the prince having to live life at the very bottom of society. All works out in the end, and Twain is probably too kind on Edward VI's actual legacy as king, but the book delves into some of the gritty realities of impoverished masses and the court intrigues of the elites. ( )
  Othemts | May 22, 2017 |
Book on CD narrated by Steve West.

Two boys born on the same day in very different circumstances meet and discover they each envy the other’s experiences. But only when they exchange clothes do they realize how identical they are in looks. So much so that Edward, Prince of Wales, is ejected from the palace as a beggar, while the pauper Tom Canty is accepted as the prince, despite their protests to the contrary.

This is a wonderful classic that explores the difference in class in 16th century England, and the ways that appearance effects how one is treated. Both boys learn much from their experience as “the other.” Tom learns that a life of luxury is not all it’s cracked up to be; he chafes against the restrictions on his movements, the requirements for certain study, the constant presence of servants and guardians. Edward learns first-hand of the harsh life of his poorest subjects: their reliance on begging, the unfairness of the legal system, the lack of opportunities to improve their lot.

Tom uses his new-found position to change some of the laws of the land. Edward learns the value of compassion and kindness. It’s a wonderful lesson in “walking in the other person’s shoes.”

One thing that was a little difficult, though was Twain’s use of 16th-century English: “Dost not know thy father, child?” is one fairly easy example, but much of the dialect used makes it that much more difficult for a reader to appreciate the story. Still, it’s worth the effort to persevere. And I would recommend listening to the audio.

There are many editions of this classic available. The hardcover text edition I used to supplement my listening was the Oxford Mark Twain with an introduction by Judith Martin and an afterword by Everett Emerson. It includes nearly 200 illustrations by Beverly R David and Ray Sapirstein. It’s really a physically beautiful book.

The audio edition I listened to was narrated by Steve West. He did a fine job. He has good pacing, and enough skill as a voice artist to differentiate the various characters. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 1, 2017 |
I started reading this book back in January, with visions of the classic black and white movie (which I really like) playing in my head. I enjoyed the first 20 or 30 pages or so, and then ... blah. Blah, blah.

I'm a tudor nut, and a big historical fiction fan, and I love anything British, so you'd think that a) I'd have read this book before now and b) I'd devour it & love it. Not so.

There are some bloody fantastic scenes in this book that I loved, but a lot of little scenes that were pointless and just dragged the book out. I'm glad I finally read this, but I can't say I'll ever waste time reading it again.

anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
The classic story of a poor boy's switch with a prince in Tudor England. ( )
  FoxTribeMama | Sep 24, 2016 |
I generally love Mark Twain’s work, but I’d never read The Prince and the Pauper. I chose to read the original with all the beautiful original drawings, which were on about every second or their page. The illustrations added to the text by giving me a real idea of what the characters and the area looked like. This was a dark story in many ways, but very amusing and a really fascinating story of what would have happened if such a switch had occurred between a royal prince and a boy from the streets. My entire book club enjoyed this book. Recommended. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Jul 26, 2016 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

The quality of mercy...is twice bless'd; / It blesseth him that gives, and him that takes; / 'Tis mightiest in the mightiest: it becomes / The throned monarch better than his crown. --The Merchant of Venice
To / those good-mannered and agreeable children / Susie and Clara Clemens / this book / is affectionately inscribed / by their father.
In the ancient city of London, on a certain autumn day in the second quarter of the sixteenth century, a boy was born to a poor family of the name of Canty, who did not want him.
This is the main work for The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.
This work should not be combined with either the book by Mark Twain or with any of its various film adaptations. If you have a copy of this work, please consider supplying the name of the author (if it is a book) or the director (if it is a film).
ISBN 0140436693 is a Penguin edtion of The Prince and the Pauper.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528352, Mass Market Paperback)

100th anniversary edition

Two boys: the same age, almost the same face. The one difference: Tom Canty is a child of the London slums; Edward Tudor is heir to the throne. How insubstantial this difference is becomes clear when a chance encounter leads to an exchange of clothing and of roles...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:48 -0400)

When young Edward VI of England and Tom Canty, a poor boy who looks just like him, exchange places, each learns a valuable lesson about the other's very different station in life in sixteenth-century England.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,436,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible