Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Narwhal's Otter Friend (A Narwhal and…

Narwhal's Otter Friend (A Narwhal and Jelly Book #4)

by Ben Clanton

921,365,556 (4.5)None

No tags.

As always these stories are a joy to read. They are the perfect length and format to bridge the picture book to chapter canal. This nine Jelly is jealous of Narwhals new friend Otter. Readers will have a pun tasting time with book 4 of this super fun series. ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Dec 31, 2018 |
This review is in 2 parts. The first part is my 8 year old daughter's opinions on the book BUT for total transparency I thought you should know that she's already a big fan of the series. Finally, the 2nd part will be where I throw in my own two cents.

Part 1- Miss A's favorite part was the section with facts regarding the animals found in the book. She wished that there were facts about her favorite character, Narwhal. She really liked the message that even though Narwhal found an exciting new friend, Jelly was still the best part of their upcoming big adventure. She wished that it included the three going on the adventures they dreamed of in more detail. She appreciated how the story added elements of the facts previously given and thought that Rocky should have gone with Otty like in the facts. The superhero fantasy was a huge hit and she wanted me to add that she would definitely like to read a whole book about that on its own. Her least favorite part was when Jelly got jellie (har har har) and stormed off looking for a new friend. Her least favorite character was the evil egg and she cheered when he met his watery end. Overall: she rated it a 4.5 out of 5 Stars. She said that it was lacking the pizazz of the first book and that even though her favorite books are chapter books like the Harry Potter series, she still loves graphic novels like this!

Part 2- Okay, I know that I'm not the target demographic here so I rely a good deal on my Little for a more accurate gauge on how the book is fairing BUT on the whole I thought it was very cute. I was a little disappointed with Crab. He appeared to be clinically depressed and it seemed like a friendship with him would be completely unattainable. Depressed and/or cantankerous people need friendships and loving too! Even more so when they are young and malleable. Anyway, diatribe aside, I was pleasantly impressed by the book and enjoyed watching my daughter's delight even more. I especially relished the smatterings of giggles the book coaxed from her which is pure music to any parent's ears. Also, it was longer than what I was expecting which turned out to be a very welcomed surprise. Nothing ruins enjoyment of a book quite like an abrupt ending, it's jarring and frustrating especially for young readers. Would I have bought this in a store? Definitely! My avid reader adored it and I approve of anything that increases her enjoyment of the written word. Overall: I give it 4.5 Stars for its ability to not only elicit giggles while engaging a wide range of readers but feed their brains with wonder and knowledge too.

*** I was given a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review *** ( )
  BethYacoub | Dec 11, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Ben Clanton's book Narwhal's Otter Friend is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,452,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible