The Professor and the Madman by Simon…

The Professor and the Madman (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Simon Winchester

8,480200362 (3.8)329
Member:cnpofohio
Title:The Professor and the Madman
Authors:Simon Winchester
Info:Harper (1998), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 256 pages

The Surgeon of Crowthorne : A Tale of Murder, Madness and the Love of Words by Simon Winchester (1998)

English (193)  Indonesian (2)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (200)
What I loved about this book:

The book itself, with its cover & opening pages resembling an actual dictionary, with all its addendums, is beautiful. It's a reminder of what we lose with a move to digital content.

I loved that it started as a Gothic tale, haunting, promising the revelation of dark secrets.

I loved that there were words for me to look up in every chapter :) A book about the dictionary that did not employ some of the more descriptive, obscure words at its disposal would be a very shallow time, indeed.

I loved that it wasn't too long - it was concise, while still being engaging & thorough.

I loved that it made me think about something I'd never thought much about before - the lexicon of the language I love. I'm a rule-follower when it comes to language, spelling, & grammar. But this book showed me how fluent language has been and can be, while still showing me how the rules developed & who developed them.

What I didn't like about this book:

The chapters on the actual making of the dictionary were very, very dry. I appreciate that making the OED was a painstaking process. And I can usually get through some tedium in any read; in a book about why it took 70 years to finish a task like this, some of the tedium of the work involved should find its way onto these pages - it's a great illustration of what they were up against. However, it really became too much at times.

And the idea that we find out that the preface is just a romanticized re-telling of this tale feels like a tease. Once you get about 150 pages in, you find out the first meeting between Drs. Minor & Murray was much more mundane & happened much sooner than the prevailing gossip puts forth. It makes me wonder if much fewer people would have hung in there as long if the truth had been presented much earlier.

On the strength of the first 50 pages or so, I was raving about this book, & recommending it. But after the tedium of some of the chapters & the switcheroo on the opening pages, I'm left feeling a bit unsatisfied. I still have to give it a solid 3 stars - maybe even 3.5 - because the writing & scholarship are superior. But as an overall read, once it loses its edge, it's hard to stick with this one. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
This is the remarkable story of Dr Minor an american doctor and soldier who was committed to Broadmoor for nearly 30 years and whilst there used his extensive book collection and time to make a significant contribution to what became the Oxford English Dictionary.
Simon Winchester weaves around this the story of lexicography and the development of the OED in particular and the story of the great editor James Murray ( )
  jbennett | May 18, 2016 |
An interesting and tragic tale about one man's madness and how it served the world. Dr. Minor is really very tragic. Winchester does good work making him pitiable. The research that Winchester does in both men, gives the reader a deeper understanding about the world they lived in. Winchester traces both men from childhood all way to their deaths. He gives the reader insight into why Murray wanted to work on the OED and into the very frightening world that Minor lived in. The writing is great, easy to understand, and full of compassion for Minor. The notes are just notes. nothing great but useful if you want to use them. This book is a fast read, so if you are looking for something quick and engaging try this one.

I give this book a Five out of Five stars. ( )
  lrainey | May 10, 2016 |
Check out my blog for an in-depth review of this book. http://opinionsofabookaholic.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-professor-and-madman-simon... ( )
  M_Sawtelle | Apr 6, 2016 |
This is my second time reading the Professor and the Madman and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed the first time around. This book was on my library Non-Fiction Book Club Reading List for July. I was fascinated by the fact that William Shakespeare did not have access to a dictionary because there was not one available for the English language. A dictionary was not available until Samuel Johnson and there were many great British writers like Dafoe, Swift who wished to fix the English language and ban words like bamboozle, uppish and couldn't. Many dictionaries came out but it was Dr. Murray from Oxford and several others who set out to not only document every English word but give use and context of words with the use of literature including the Bible. It took nine years to put out the first nine volumes of the dictionary all of which would not have been possible had it not been for Dr Minor. Minor a very well educated man and doctor was prolific in the number of words and information that he submitted for the dictionary. He found an ad for the project in books he ordered from London booksellers.

This book is more about the history of the project and the key men involved that gave the dictionary life. Dr Murray was our Oxford professor and Dr. Minor was of course the Madman. In understanding the creation of the dictionary it is important to know the men behind the project. Dr. Minor was an American who served during the Civil War as a Army surgeon. After the war the doctor found himself in London trying to find his sanity. All was going well until one night when he murdered a man in cold blood. He was tried and found insane, he was sentenced to Broadmoor Lunatic Asylum until the monarchs "Pleasure Be Known" whenever that may be.

There is one scene that will leave the reader a little squeamish but overall a fascinating read. ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
Here, as so consistently throughout, Winchester finds exactly the right tool to frame the scene.
added by John_Vaughan | editPowells, Dave Weich (Oct 1, 2001)

Simon Winchesterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pracher, RickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of
G. M.
Popular myth has it that one of the most remarkable conversations in modern literary history took place on a cool and misty late autumn in 1896, in the small village of Crowthorne in the county of Berkshire.
One word --and only one word-- was ever actually lost: bondmaid, which appears in Johnson's dictionary, was actually lost by Murray and was found, a stray without a home, long after the fascicle Battentlie - Bozzom had been published. It, and tens of thousands of words that had evolved or appeared during the forty-four years spent assembling the fascicles and their [twelve] parent volumes, appeared in a supplement, which came out in 1933. Four further supplements appeared between 1972 and 1986. In 1989, using the new abilities of the computer, Oxford University Press issued its fully integrated second edition, incorporating all the changes and additions of the supplements in twenty rather more slender volumes. [220]
UK title: The Surgeon of Crowthorne
US title: The Professor and the Madman
A wonderful story...It has all the ingredients of one of Patrick McGrath's icily stylish novels: madness, violence, arcane obsessions, weird learning, ghastly comedy - John Banville, Literary Review

Two distinguished-looking Victorians, both learned and serious, yet from very different worlds: one a brilliant polymath, the other a madman and a murderer.

Dr James Murray, erudite and pious, who broke free from an impoverished childhood to become a towering figure of British scholarship and editor of the great Oxford English Dictionary.

Dr W.C. Minor, lascivious, charismatic, a millionaire American Civil War surgeon and homicidal lunatic. Confined to Broadmoor Asylum he pursued his passion for words and became one of the OED's most valued contributors.

Their lives and unlikely friendship are unravelled in Simon Winchester's classic work of detection.

In this elegant book the writer has created a vivid parable, in the spirit of Nabakov and Borges - full of suspense, pathos and humour - Wall Street Journal

A jewel of a book, scholarly, beguiling and moving - as gripping as any thriller - Scotland on Sunday

A cracking read - Spectator

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060839783, Paperback)

The compilation of the Oxford English Dictionary, 70 years in the making, was an intellectually heroic feat with a twist worthy of the greatest mystery fiction: one of its most valuable contributors was a criminally insane American physician, locked up in an English asylum for murder. British stage actor Simon Jones leads us through this uncommon meeting of minds (the other belonging to self-educated dictionary editor James Murray) at full gallop. Ultimately, it's hard to say which is more remarkable: the facts of this amazingly well-researched story, or the sound of author Simon Winchester's erudite prose. Jones's reading smoothly transports listeners to the 19th century, reminding us why so many brilliant people obsessively set out to catalogue the English language. This unabridged version contains an interview between Winchester and John Simpson, editor of the Oxford dictionary. (Running time: 6.5 hours, 6 cassettes) --Lou Schuler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:04 -0400)

Looks at the making of the Oxford English dictionary.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140271287, 0141037717

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,913,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible