Evvie Drake Starts Over: A Novel by Linda…

Evvie Drake Starts Over: A Novel (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Linda Holmes (Author)

2872060,612 (4.03)14
"In a small town in Maine, recently widowed Eveleth "Evvie" Drake rarely leaves her house. Everyone in town, including her best friend, Andy, thinks grief keeps her locked inside, and she doesn't correct them. In New York, Dean Tenney, former major-league pitcher and Andy's childhood friend, is struggling with a case of the "yips": he can't throw straight anymore, and he can't figure out why. An invitation from Andy to stay in Maine for a few months seems like the perfect chance to hit the reset button. When Dean moves into an apartment at the back of Evvie's house, the two make a deal: Dean won't ask about Evvie's late husband, and Evvie won't ask about Dean's baseball career. Rules, though, have a funny way of being broken--and what starts as an unexpected friendship soon turns into something more. But before they can find out what might lie ahead, they'll have to wrestle a few demons: the bonds they've broken, the plans they've changed, and the secrets they've kept. They'll need a lot of help, but in life, as in baseball, there's always a chance--right up until the last out"--… (more)
Member:WiscassetPL
Title:Evvie Drake Starts Over: A Novel
Authors:Linda Holmes (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2019), 304 pages
Collections:Adult and YA

Evvie Drake Starts Over: A Novel by Linda Holmes (2019)

I just loved the heck out of this and I could not stop listening. It is smart and sweet, the characters are people I want to know, and hang out with, The writing, especially dialogue, is just great. The people here treat each other with love and respect. They don't always get it right, but they always try. Problems exist, big ones, and they work on them. Also, Dean is a love interest worth our devotion. Julia Whelan reads this, and I think she is one of the best, if not the best audiobook readers working. She made a great Evelith.

Everyone knows that I love the lapsed lawyer writer community (there are exceptions, but I root for even the bad ones.) So Go Linda, Esq! ( )
  Narshkite | Sep 19, 2019 |
A gentle, enjoyable romance. In Evvie Drake Starts Over, the eponymous Evvie is recently widowed following the death of a man whom everyone in their small Maine town thought a heroic doctor and the ideal husband—everyone, that is, except Evvie. She rents out an apartment in her too-large house to Dean, a former major league baseball player who’s lost his ability to pitch and needs a place to escape from the resulting media hubbub. Both Evvie and Dean are a little flawed, a little wounded, but smart and likeable. Their relationship evolves in a realistic way (albeit with perhaps a few pacing issues), and the natural-sounding dialogue is a particular joy. A great summer evening read. ( )
  siriaeve | Aug 26, 2019 |
Evvie Drake has decided to rent out the apartment in her house. Her best friend Andy suggests that his friend Dean, a former pro baseball player, would be a perfect renter. Evvie and Dean have a lot of personal demons to work through.

This book was funny and yet serious. The main characters are complex and written very well. I enjoyed this more than I thought I might. ( )
  sdbookhound | Aug 23, 2019 |
Enjoyed this book recommended to me by an editor friend. Plus learned more about Maine and Baseball. Bonus points. ( )
  bookczuk | Aug 23, 2019 |
How is it possible that Evvie (rhymes with Chevy) takes an entire book to understand that she has been psychologically and emotionally abused? Ah well, it is what it is. This is a sweet story about a sweet woman who tries to fix what is broken by alternately hiding out, digging in, analyzing, falling down and trying to right herself. The story meanders and leaves the door open for a magical outcome until a gust of wind blows it shut. Ah well life is like that sometimes.

Well written, great characters, some pathos, some humor, just the right mix to make this book enjoyable from cover to cover. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 22, 2019 |

Linda Holmesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cunningham, CarolineDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gabbert, ConnieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Nona, who always saw me
Go now, or you'll never go, Evvie warned herself.
It was exactly what Andy had always said---that someday, the press would long for Dean to fight his way back. They'd want to forgive him, and it wouldn't be because they were merciful. It would be because the flavor had gone out of hating him like it goes out of cheap gum, and now they needed to taste something different.
When she started to cry, the upside was as it always was: the shower cry takes the logistics out of it. Crying has to be dealt with---it makes a mess, it swells up your face, it creates a little pile of tissues that are a tell. But the shower cry is the superspy's cry, Evvie had always thought. It was between you and the tile walls, and everything that hurt turned into water, and the water went away.
"I should never have tried to be happy."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,170,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible