The Kindly Ones (A Dance to the Music of…

The Kindly Ones (A Dance to the Music of Time 6) (original 1962; edition 1977)

by Anthony Powell

Member:devenish
Title:The Kindly Ones (A Dance to the Music of Time 6)
Authors:Anthony Powell
Info:Fontana (1977), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Dance to the Music of Time (A), Anthony Powell, Review

The Kindly Ones by Anthony Powell (1962)

We are reintroduced to both General Conyers and Jenkins's meddlesome Uncle Giles, and also at last have some insight into Jenkins's family life. We also encounter Dr Trelawney, self-styled thaumaturge-cum-alchemist, whose presence in the neighbourhood cast pangs of fear into the young Jenkins's mind.

After a glimpse into Jenkins' childhood, with a brief but characteristically disruptive cameo from Uncle Giles, we are brought back to the months leading up to the Second World War, and the struggle to eke out an economic subsistence during an aesthetically unsympathetic time. Hugh Moreland plays a big role, as does the menacing Kenneth Widmerpool, who is as pompous and odious as ever.

In this particular volume General Conyers, old, venerable and seen by many as a relic from a bygone age suddenly establishes himself as one of the pivotal figures in the sequence. and is unmasked as an innovator and conduit for modern thought. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Sep 14, 2016 |
Book Description
Anthony Powell’s universally acclaimed epic A Dance to the Music of Time offers a matchless panorama of twentieth-century London. Now, for the first time in decades, readers in the United States can read the books of Dance as they were originally published—as twelve individual novels—but with a twenty-first-century twist: they’re available only as e-books.
As volume six, The Kindly Ones (1962), opens, rumblings from Germany recall memories of Nick Jenkins’s boyhood and his father’s service in World War I; it seems clear that all too soon, uniforms will be back in fashion. The looming threat throws the ordinary doings of life into stark relief, as Nick and his friends continue to negotiate the pitfalls of adult life. Moreland’s marriage founders, Peter Templer’s wife—his second—is clearly going mad, and Widmerpool is, disturbingly, gaining prominence in the business world even as he angles for power in the coming conflict. War, with all its deaths and disruptions, is on the way.
"Anthony Powell is the best living English novelist by far. His admirers are addicts, let us face it, held in thrall by a magician."--Chicago Tribune
"A book which creates a world and explores it in depth, which ponders changing relationships and values, which creates brilliantly living and diverse characters and then watches them grow and change in their milieu. . . . Powell's world is as large and as complex as Proust's."--Elizabeth Janeway, New York Times
"One of the most important works of fiction since the Second World War. . . . The novel looked, as it began, something like a comedy of manners; then, for a while, like a tragedy of manners; now like a vastly entertaining, deeply melancholy, yet somehow courageous statement about human experience."--Naomi Bliven, New Yorker

My Review
These books are about life in the middle of the 20th century and are a very interesting read. Looking forward to the next installment. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 23, 2016 |
The Kindly Ones Anthony Powell
★★★★

Book 6 of the music of time

We travel back to the past where we learn some more about Nicks childhood, this time as an army his family are staying at the supposedly haunted Stonebrooke (not sure I have remembered name correctly) where we meet an interesting cast of servants and eccentric neighbours and family friends.

The people we meet at Stonebrooke are important as they turn up again in the present day, where Europe is poised on the edge of war.

We also learn more about Jean, Nicks first love and about his current relationship and those of his friends.
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
The sixth book in A Dance to the Music of Time. This book brings us to the start of the War. The Furies (The Kindly Ones); the coming war, women voters, precariousness of life. ( )
  Kristelh | Sep 26, 2015 |
Re-reading this marvellous novel was immensely entertaining. This sixth volume of Powell's majestic Dance to the Music of Time sequence starts with a recapitulation of memories of Nick Jenkins's childhood, and in particular the suitably apocalyptic events that occurred in Stonehurst, the remote bungalow a few miles from Aldershot in which he grew up, on what proved to be the day on which Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated. We are reintroduced to General Conyers and Jenkins's meddlesome Uncle Giles, and also at last have some insight into Jenkins's family life. We also encounter Dr Trelawney, self-styled thaumaturge-cum-alchemist, whose presence in the neighbourhood cast pangs of fear into the young Jenkins's mind.

After a glimpse into Jenkins' childhood, with a brief but characteristically disruptive cameo from Uncle Giles, we are brought back to the months leading up to the Second World War, and the struggle to eke out an economic subsistence during an aesthetically unsympathetic time. Hugh Moreland plays a big role, as does the menacing Kenneth Widmerpool, as pompous and odious as ever.

In this particular volume General Conyers, old, venerable and seen by many as a relic from a bygone age suddenly establishes himself as one of the pivotal figures in the sequence. and is unmasked as an innovator and conduit for modern though.

Simply wonderful!
  Eyejaybee | Sep 24, 2015 |

Anthony Powellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boxer, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR R. W. K.C.
Albert, fleshy, sallow, blue chinned, breathing hard, sweating a little, fitted an iron bar into sockets on either side of the wooden shutters he had just closed across the final window of the stable-block.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,830,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible