The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Scarlet Letter (1850)

by Nathaniel Hawthorne

25,66328344 (3.39)2 / 834
    The Crucible by Arthur Miller (SandSing7, Morteana)
    The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (chrisharpe)
    Elective affinities by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (LCBrooks)
    LCBrooks: Allows for interesting comparisons on the subject of double marriage.
    Too Late The Phalarope by Alan Paton (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Sex and guilt in Calvinist cultures.
    The Scarlet Letter [1995 film] by Roland Joffé (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Fascinating interpretation. Very free and very different. Really an independent work of art. If not superior to the novel, certainly not inferior to it either. Good script, excellent cast, beautiful music.
    Blood and Guts in High School by Kathy Acker (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: Contains a lot of parallels between the two heroines. Acker's '77 novel also contains a scathing deconstruction of Hawthorne's the Scarlet Letter somewhere down the line. If you haven't heard of her, take note. She's worth the attention.
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (chrisharpe, kxlly)
    Elsie Venner A Romance of Destiny by Oliver Wendell Holmes (Midnightdreary)
    Midnightdreary: Similar exploration of the question of sin, inherited or otherwise.
    Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell (CurrerBell)
    CurrerBell: Hester Prynne has a spunkiness that Ruth Hilton lacks.
Read (39)
Romans (13)
Read (12)
Unread books (1,017)

English (269)  Spanish (6)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  All (284)
This is definitely a book worth reading. It raises excellent question about the role of society and what determines good versus evil. I read this book in high school, but I wasn't able to full appreciate it until I read it again in college. While I do recommend this book, I would also advise the reader to be willing to devote the time to give this novel a careful and thorough reading and to not just gloss through the slower parts. ( )
  Haneyhh | Apr 10, 2018 |
I had put off reading this book for a long time because the reviews for it were not always glowing. I finally decided that this is an American classic and I needed to read it. Besides, I teach about the time period, and spent a full day at the Old Manse where Hawthorne wrote it down in Concord two summers ago.

I am glad I read this book but was not overly impressed. I got the feeling that Hawthorne was pretty darned impressed with himself and his writing ability. The story is famous so I won't spend time reviewing the plot or anything, but I have to say that a majority of the book was spent flushing out the thoughts and psyches of the main characters. I understand that the book was full of symbolism and was a criticism of society in many ways, but as a novel, it did not really keep me turning the pages.

I would recommend this for serious readers or for students of early American history. It is not a light read, and I would suggest reading it in one or two sittings because it is tough to gear up and come back to day after day. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
I like that the structure is different from the film, but overall, nothing special. ( )
  aljosa95 | Mar 27, 2018 |
One of my least favorite books in all the world. Hawthorne is a drag and I am very glad I am not a Puritan. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Scarlet Letter," is a classic. A woman is condemned for adultery with the burning red scarlet letter for her action by society. Social stigma in a different period. We have social stigma in present day - anything from appearances, social status, disability, etc. This is a must read. ( )
  majestic131 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

A throng of bearded men, in sad-colored garments and gray, steeple-crowned hats, intermixed with women, some wearing hoods, and others bareheaded, was assembled in front of a wooden edifice, the door of which was heavily timbered with oak, and studded with iron spikes.
This is the main work for The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553210092, Mass Market Paperback)

Hailed by Henry James as "the finest piece of imaginative writing yet put forth in the country," Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter reaches to our nation's historical and moral roots for the material of great tragedy. Set in an early New England colony, the novel shows the terrible impact a single, passionate act has on the lives of three members of the community: the defiant Hester Prynne; the fiery, tortured Reverend Dimmesdale; and the obsessed, vengeful Chillingworth.

With The Scarlet Letter, Hawthorne became the first American novelist to forge from our Puritan heritage a universal classic, a masterful exploration of humanity's unending struggle with sin, guilt and pride.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:14 -0400)

Hester Prynne, a young wife in colonial New England, is sentenced to wear a scarlet "A" on her clothing, as a public acknowledgement of her sin of adultery.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0142437263, 0143105442, 0141199458

Library of America Paperback Classics

An edition of this book was published by Library of America Paperback Classics.

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100607, 1400108551

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438901, 190943891X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,295,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible