The Scarlet Letter (American Library) by…

The Scarlet Letter (American Library) (original 1850; edition 1998)

by Nathaniel Hawthorne

20,85320870 (3.4)1 / 596
Member:roblong
Title:The Scarlet Letter (American Library)
Authors:Nathaniel Hawthorne
Info:Longman (1998), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:Fiction, US Fiction

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (1850)

Romans (13)

English (199)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (208)
This book, for me, is the perfect example of why teenagers may feel let down with reading habits in high-school. For a mandatory book, this is probably one of the most boring books I have ever read. It seemed to have every single characteristic of the grammar that the teacher always told me to AVOID. And yet, they make us read it in school. So... besides having to bear the annoying writing style, I am expected to actually understand what is the big lesson behind this tedious story? Then what, am I supposed to juggle eleven rubber balls while singing "O Sole Mio" meanwhile?
Anything can be deduced from this book, from a deep, angst story of a forbidden love to a critique of the society as it labels its sinful denizens (like what happens in many other books, by the way), so I don't understand why The Scarlet Letter in special is in the list of the "1001 Books to Read Before You Die". With so many books that are good in giving moral lessons and entertaining at the same time, I don't see anything special in this one.

I may look a bit revolted in this "review", but all these words of despise do have a reason: the book's writing style. The way the narrative flows (or does not flow, in this case) drags you back the whole time. Hawthorne changes the focus of his sentences so many times that by the time you get to the point, you already forgot what he was talking about. It's like being hungry, being about to take a bite on a sandwich and being interrupted in every single attempt to do it. By the time you actually manage to eat the goddamned sandwich, you're no longer hungry because it is cold and the mayonnaise became icky and liquid and the lettuce is dry.

I gave it two stars rather than one because, somewhere in the book, there actually is a beautiful story of a forbidden love and the child that comes from it is, in a way, the material representation of the resentment of both parties. Still, at a certain part of the book, I didn't even know what the hell I was reading. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
I was very excited to finally read this book since I have been told it is a classic. I guess I should have read it in a literary class because I felt very let down by the whole thing. The story was told with an outsider view that didn't go into much detail over anything. I felt like I was reading a quick summary of events instead of actually getting the true tale. I am glad I finally read it, but it won't be on a list to read again. ( )
  midkid88 | Jul 30, 2014 |
The Scarlett Letter is a classic story set in Puritan New England. Hester Prynne, who bore a child out of wedlock while married to a man she thought was dead, has been ostracized by the community in which she lives. Horrified by this unbelievably unconscionable act (sarcasm intended), Hester is forced to wear a scarlett “A” on her at all times. The beliefs that these people held are ridiculous and laughable by today’s standards. She keeps secret the person with who she had an affair, Reverend Dimmesdale, who is revered by the community. Meanwhile, her old husband Roger Chillingsworth is secretly trying to destroy the Reverend. I never understood how the Reverend and everybody else in the story didn’t know that Chillingsworth was Hester’s husband. It was something that wasn’t well explained in the story.

Although there were elements of the story that I liked, it was really hard to get past some of the language in the story. Often times, it made the story hard to read and hard to understand what was trying to be communicated. It was also hard to relate to some of these characters. Not only are their beliefs hard to swallow, the actions don’t also seem terribly realistic. Still, the story itself is interesting and had a good bit of intrigue as well as good story elements, making it worth the read.

Carl Alves – author of Two For Eternity ( )
  Carl_Alves | Jun 30, 2014 |
I haven't read this since high school, and I hated it back then. However, it's our October book for book club. Hopefully I'll like it better this time around. ( )
  bonreads | Jun 11, 2014 |
I liked this book about Puritan ethics and hypocrisy. I found the reactions of the townspeople to Hester interesting as time goes by. ( )
  krin5292 | Jun 2, 2014 |
No one who has taken up the Scarlet Letter will willingly lay it down till he has finished it; and he will do well not to pause, for he cannot resume the story where he left it. He should give himself up to the magic power of the style, without stopping to open wide the eyes of his good sense and judgment, and shake off the spell; or half the weird beauty will disappear like a dissolving view. To be sure, when he closes the book, he will feel very much like the giddy and bewildered patient who is just awaking from his first experiment of the effects of sulphuric ether. The soul has been floating or flying between earth and heaven, with dim ideas of pain and pleasure strangely mingled, and all things earthly swimming dizzily and dreamily, yet most beautiful, before the half shut eye. That the author himself felt this sort of intoxication as well as the willing subjects of his enchantment, we think, is evident in many pages of the last half of the volume. His imagination has sometimes taken him fairly off his feet.

Nathaniel Hawthorneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

A throng of bearded men, in sad-colored garments and gray, steeple-crowned hats, intermixed with women, some wearing hoods, and others bareheaded, was assembled in front of a wooden edifice, the door of which was heavily timbered with oak, and studded with iron spikes.
This is the main work for The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

The Scarlet Letter is about a woman who is an outcast in her community due to her child outside of her marriage. It is the story of her life and the life of her child as they are scorned for their sin while the father looks on blameless. This story is about dealing with guilt and seclusion.

I had heard this story for a while. My father always brought up the "A" that was sewn into Hester's dresses. And I think the story-line is really interesting, but I just didn't really like it. There were whole chapters that I felt were pointless. It was just a really slow read.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553210092, Mass Market Paperback)

Hailed by Henry James as "the finest piece of imaginative writing yet put forth in the country," Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter reaches to our nation's historical and moral roots for the material of great tragedy. Set in an early New England colony, the novel shows the terrible impact a single, passionate act has on the lives of three members of the community: the defiant Hester Prynne; the fiery, tortured Reverend Dimmesdale; and the obsessed, vengeful Chillingworth.

With The Scarlet Letter, Hawthorne became the first American novelist to forge from our Puritan heritage a universal classic, a masterful exploration of humanity's unending struggle with sin, guilt and pride.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:49 -0400)

Hester Prynne, a young wife in colonial New England, is sentenced to wear a scarlet "A" on her clothing, as a public acknowledgement of her sin of adultery.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0142437263, 0143105442, 0141199458

Library of America Paperback Classics

An edition of this book was published by Library of America Paperback Classics.

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,311,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible