Oliver Button Is a Sissy by Tomie dePaola

Oliver Button Is a Sissy (edition 1979)

by Tomie dePaola

Member:ablachly
Title:Oliver Button Is a Sissy
Authors:Tomie dePaola
Info:Voyager Books (1979), Paperback, 48 pages
Collections:Your library, Jasper's Books
Tags:children's

Oliver Button Is a Sissy by Tomie dePaola

The thing i found most interesting about this book, is the fact that it was written in the 70's. The issue of accepting people for who they are is not a new concept, I just thought it was interesting that someone was interested enough to challenge gender roles in the 70's. The great thing about this book is character development. Oliver stays true to himself throughout the whole book. His peers and his father are the characters that change. Oliver likes to play with paper dolls, draw, and read. His peers at school make fun of him by writing :"Oliver Button is a sissy" all over the school hallways. This does not discourage Oliver though. His father does not really support him either, but relents and lets him take dance classes. Oliver practices dance and even preforms in the talent show. Although he does not win, when he returns to school, his peers have crossed out the word "sissy" and replaced it with "star"! Even Oliver's father is proud of him. I think this is a great lesson for children, and adults honestly, to learn. Accept people for who they are, weather it be your friend, your sibling, or your child. ( )
  amberloposser | Mar 3, 2016 |
This is another trade book that is for my research topic. This story is about a boy who loved to do things "normal" boys didn't do. He loved to play dress up, play with dolls, and he hated playing dolls. He eventually joined dance class, and loved it. Oliver was bullied in this book because of dance class. I gave this story a five out of five stars because it shows that boys can be in dance class just like girls can. The illustrations were very dull and looked like they were done in colored pencils. The story was quite sad throughout most of the book, so the dull colors fit the story. I would use this in a classroom just for fun. They could write a journal entry on why this book goes against the social norm. This was a cute story. ( )
  j.swancutt | Dec 2, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book because it shows the harms of bullying with younger children. I think this book is good for all ages because it really shows kids that they have to be whoever they are despite what others think. ( )
  Mwick | Nov 10, 2015 |
I like this book because it shows how misleading stereotypes can be. It is the story of a young boy who likes to dance. Throughout the story, perspectives begin to change and people begin to realize that boys can do things girls can do and vice verse. I like that it teaches kids that they can be anything they want to be.

I would probably use this book for 1-2 grades. ( )
  breksarah | Apr 24, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is a great book that brings attention to gender stereotypes in our society. I enjoyed this book for several reasons. The language is clear and the storyline is easy to follow. The writing is organized and flows nicely. There are small amounts of text written on each page accompanied by an illustration, which makes it easy for young children to read and understand. There is great use of dialogue included, which creates an animated storyline. I really enjoy the characters in the book because they are very believable. Certain children may relate Oliver because they may also partake in activities that are predominately for girls, such as tap-dancing, which may lead to harassment. Oliver losing the talent contest is also realistic; children must understand that they cannot win every competition. The illustrations are simple yet appropriate; they enhance the story and fit with the written text. I like that some illustrations are necessary to the storyline. For example, one illustration of a wall includes text that states, “Oliver Button is a Sissy,” which is later changed to, “Oliver Button is a Star.” I really enjoy the plot of this story, which involves gender stereotype conflicts. Oliver is bullied for tap-dancing, which is mainly an activity for girls. Despite the intimidation, Oliver continues to dance and performs in the talent show. Classmates then recognize Oliver’s great talent and see him as a star, not a sissy. I enjoy this plot because it pushes readers to broaden their perspectives on gender stereotypes. Boys can do anything that girls can do if it makes them happy, which is a concept that all children must learn. The book also shows how bullying a person can really hurt their feelings. The big idea is you should do what you love, no matter what stereotypes say, and do not worry about what others think. Be proud of yourself, even if you do not come in first place. Others will recognize your courage and praise you for it. ( )
  jgiann2 | Mar 25, 2014 |

A little boy must come to terms with being teased and ostracized because he’d rather read books, paint pictures, and tap-dance than participate in sports. “There is a good balance between the simple text . . . and the expressive pictures . . . an attractive little book.”--School Library Journal

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:03 -0400)

His classmates' taunts don't stop Oliver Button from doing what he likes best.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,545,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible