Oliver Button Is a Sissy by Tomie dePaola

Oliver Button Is a Sissy (edition 1979)

by Tomie dePaola

Info:Voyager Books (1979), Paperback, 48 pages
Collections:Your library, Jasper's Books
Tags:children's

Oliver Button Is a Sissy by Tomie dePaola

I like this book because it shows how misleading stereotypes can be. It is the story of a young boy who likes to dance. Throughout the story, perspectives begin to change and people begin to realize that boys can do things girls can do and vice verse. I like that it teaches kids that they can be anything they want to be.

I would probably use this book for 1-2 grades. ( )
  breksarah | Apr 24, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is a great book that brings attention to gender stereotypes in our society. I enjoyed this book for several reasons. The language is clear and the storyline is easy to follow. The writing is organized and flows nicely. There are small amounts of text written on each page accompanied by an illustration, which makes it easy for young children to read and understand. There is great use of dialogue included, which creates an animated storyline. I really enjoy the characters in the book because they are very believable. Certain children may relate Oliver because they may also partake in activities that are predominately for girls, such as tap-dancing, which may lead to harassment. Oliver losing the talent contest is also realistic; children must understand that they cannot win every competition. The illustrations are simple yet appropriate; they enhance the story and fit with the written text. I like that some illustrations are necessary to the storyline. For example, one illustration of a wall includes text that states, “Oliver Button is a Sissy,” which is later changed to, “Oliver Button is a Star.” I really enjoy the plot of this story, which involves gender stereotype conflicts. Oliver is bullied for tap-dancing, which is mainly an activity for girls. Despite the intimidation, Oliver continues to dance and performs in the talent show. Classmates then recognize Oliver’s great talent and see him as a star, not a sissy. I enjoy this plot because it pushes readers to broaden their perspectives on gender stereotypes. Boys can do anything that girls can do if it makes them happy, which is a concept that all children must learn. The book also shows how bullying a person can really hurt their feelings. The big idea is you should do what you love, no matter what stereotypes say, and do not worry about what others think. Be proud of yourself, even if you do not come in first place. Others will recognize your courage and praise you for it. ( )
  jgiann2 | Mar 25, 2014 |
I liked reading to book because of the changing perspectives throughout the story and the message that the story sends. First, I liked how the father’s perspective changes throughout the course of the story. For example, the story begins with Oliver Button’s father calling him a “sissy” like everyone else, but slowly his father begins to accept his dancing and by the end of the story his father fully embraces his dancing. Secondly, I like that Oliver Button loses the talent show which shows children that it is not always about winning and you will not win at everything in life. The main message of this story is that it is not always about winning everything sometimes it is just enough to accepted and loved by your family. ( )
  kjacob9 | Mar 24, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book for many reasons. I like how it went against stereotypes of boys and showed that not all boys have to do manly things. I enjoyed the main character, Oliver, and how he did not let other peoples nagging him change the way he was. He was called a sissy over and over again but he never changed; he continued to go to dance school every week and practiced and practiced. I also enjoyed the plot because a lot of the time when kids are bullied, they try to form to how society wants them to become, but Oliver never let all the bullying get to him. Also, when he did not win his dance recital, he still knew he was a star because he did something not a lot of boys could of done. I think the message of this book was that no matter what gender you are, do not ever quit something just because people don’t agree with it. Stick with you passion and what makes you happy and you will feel great about yourself. ( )
  jobend2 | Feb 20, 2014 |
A book recommended by William Kreidler in Teaching Conflict Resolution Through Children's Literature.
  NEYM_RE_Library | Dec 3, 2013 |

A little boy must come to terms with being teased and ostracized because he’d rather read books, paint pictures, and tap-dance than participate in sports. “There is a good balance between the simple text . . . and the expressive pictures . . . an attractive little book.”--School Library Journal

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:14 -0400)

His classmates' taunts don't stop Oliver Button from doing what he likes best.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,708,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible