The Persian Gamble (Marcus Ryker #2) by Joel…

The Persian Gamble (Marcus Ryker #2) (edition 2019)

by Joel C. Rosenberg (Author)

Member:JFDausman
Title:The Persian Gamble (Marcus Ryker #2)
Authors:Joel C. Rosenberg (Author)
Info:Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (2019), 448 pages

The Persian Gamble by Joel C. Rosenberg

Given how much I've enjoyed the thrillers I've read so far by this author—including the previous novel about Marcus Ryker, The Kremlin Conspiracy—I was surprised when this read turned out to be just okay to me.

It's almost as if this novel spends several early chapters stalling, with different scenes involving characters trying to figure out old information. The ruminations and conversations about most of the crucial events in question would've been more interesting if I didn't know the answers. But since I already saw those events unfold for myself in the first novel, and because this story goes back to repeat some of that previous timeline, there's no mystery there.

Granted, I do like going back to previous timelines in sequels of more character-driven stories, when the point of the repeated events is to show them from a different character's perspective and to present a whole different side to the issue. But in a thriller, when I'm looking for action and surprises, rehashing info or events isn't that exciting.

And overall, something about this story didn't feel that fresh to me. Marcus's various life experiences and, especially, the key Russian players had me engrossed in the first novel before its cliffhanger ending, but much of this second novel didn't strike me as something I haven't read from this author before.

Nevertheless, because I'm still interested in some of this book's loose ends, I'll likely read the third book that must be coming after it. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Mar 30, 2019 |

From the New York Times bestselling author of The Kremlin Conspiracy comes this latest international thriller about a terrifying nuclear alliance among three world powers--Russia, Iran, and North Korea--and the man who must halt their deadly strategy. Shot out of the air in enemy territory in the middle of the greatest international crisis since the end of the Cold War, former U.S. Secret Service agent Marcus Ryker finds himself facing an impossible task. Not only does he have to somehow elude detection and capture by Russian special forces, but he must convince his own government to grant safe harbor to the one man responsible for the global mayhem--Russian double agent and assassin Oleg Kraskin. While frantically negotiating with his contacts in the White House, Marcus learns that the unstable North Korean regime plans to use the international chaos as a smokescreen to sell nuclear weapons to Iran. With the fate of the entire free world on the line, Marcus makes a deal with the U.S. government--he will go back to work as an international operative and track down the WMDs before they end up in the hands of those with the determination and the means to use them. Marcus and Oleg worked together once before to avert a world war. Can they now find a way to stop world destruction?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible