A Modern Witch by Debora Geary

A Modern Witch

by Debora Geary

How many witches does it take to make a family? Lauren finds out the hard way. A successful realtor in Chicago with a knack for finding the right home for the right client, Lauren finds herself thrown into an online Witches Chat Room filled with crazy women who are convinced she is a witch. Little does she know that these “crazy women” will send their best mind witch, Jamie, to scope out her powers. Jamie on the other hand, meets Lauren’s best friend Nat and sees their future in full color.

This story is very clever and imaginative and I was excited to read about all the different kind of witches: mind witches, channeling witches, kitchen witches, etc. The idea of having a Witches Chat Room is a hoot and Jamie’s family is delightful. There are witches of all ages, shapes and sizes in the family which leads to mischief, fun and most importantly, love.

I enjoyed this book very much and recommend it to people who are tired of reading the same old witch stories and want a new experience that will enfold them into a funny and clever way of looking at witches.

Thank you to Ms. Geary and Library Thing Member Giveaways for giving me the opportunity to read this book. ( )
  theeclecticreview | Dec 30, 2011 |
A Modern Witch by Debora Geary is a light-hearted look at the life of Witches and the awesome powerful magic spells they are capable of casting.

Debora Geary sets the hook right away as we discover 28-year-old Lauren has been brought into a witch's chat by the fetching spell that is not supposed to make mistakes. At first, Lauren is convinced that, despite the spell-caster's assurance, there has indeed been a mistake. She is no witch... or is she?

Discover the magical and captivating answer as you watch Lauren gain the knowedge she needs with the help of her new-found friends, who just happen to include a little 4-year-old, story-stealing witchling who needs a tale of his own...

I loved these characters right from the start. The author's well-written prose brought them to life and the situations in which we become acquainted with the characters seem very realistic. Within the world of this story, the reader can even believe in magic for a time...

Recommended for readers of light fantasy, romance, and those looking for something a bit different. The Kindle edition of A Modern Witch was provided to me by the author in exchange for this review. This review has been published on Dragon Views, LibraryThing, Amazon.com and wherever else deemed appropriate by this reviewer. ( )
  1dragones | Aug 5, 2011 |
I wouldn't say I've read a lot of books with witches as a subject but this one was a fresh approach. I enjoyed the unexpected story line with slight twists and turns. I enjoyed the unique approach to combining spells with software coding (with just enough geekspeak to explain what needs to be explained without being too geeky). It is lighthearted and easy to read -- perfect for summer reading or the beach. I am looking forward to reading more by author Debora Geary. ( )
  JerrilynnL | Jul 19, 2011 |
I truly enjoyed reading this book. It is filled with fun and humor and effortlessly combines traditional lore with new technology. Lauren discovers she is a powerful witch after being drawn into a chat room. The story follows her acceptance of what she is and he training. I am looking forward to reading more from this author and particularly of this series. There is much more to be told about Lauren and her new family. ( )
  lbmillar | Jul 19, 2011 |
I finished this one with a smile on my face…

A Modern Witch is a refreshingly creative twist on witches. You’ll find no broomsticks or cauldrons here. These witches are star real estate agents, special needs therapists, and computer programmers—ordinary women with some extraordinary powers.

Lauren is the brilliant real estate agent who has made quite a life for herself finding the perfect Chicago homes for her clients. One night she is shopping for some Ben & Jerry’s online when she suddenly ends up in a chat room…for witches! Since Lauren is sure she isn’t a witch, she’s convinced this was a mistake, but the witch who coded the fetching program knows magic doesn’t err.

Soon, a handsome plate-levitating stranger is having sushi with Lauren. It doesn’t take long before she is sucked into mind-reading, power channeling, and powerful magical circles. The problem is, Lauren isn’t quite sure she’s ready for a family yet, certainly not a family of witches!

I was thoroughly impressed with this fantastic novel! Lauren is just like any other young woman working her way up in the world. She is successful and happy. She has amazing talent at what she does, and then she finds out she is a witch! The way we become familiar with Lauren first and then are swept into the magical world with her makes the story so much more believable and relatable.

I especially appreciated the “side story” of Jamie and Nat! It’s great to have the love story in there without it actually involving the main character and without her being bitter and jealous about it!

Aervyn was my favorite character in the novel. Having young children myself, I can just imagine how much crazier my life would be (and believe me, it is already pretty nuts!) if my kids had magical powers! It was fun reading how Nell dealt with her mischievous young witchling with normal loving discipline as well as exceptional pride in his abilities. The mama in me totally related to her.

The warmth and camaraderie that surrounds the Walker family radiated off the pages of this book. By the time the story came to a close, much like Lauren, I felt like I was part of the family too! It is one thing for a book to entertain you or even make you think, but to make you really feel something is a true gift. This just shows what a talented writer Ms. Geary is! ( )
  Cassie629 | Jul 19, 2011 |

Debora Geary is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,709,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible