She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders by…

She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders (edition 2004)

by Jennifer Finney Boylan

Member:booksandwine
Title:She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders
Authors:Jennifer Finney Boylan
Info:Broadway (2004), Paperback, 320 pages

She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders by Jennifer Finney Boylan

I was lucky enough to meet Jennifer the day I bought this book, and she's as witty as her writing is. Beautiful book, beautiful story. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
That rare book that manages to be educational and entertaining, while making you think and making you feel, [She's Not There], simply put, shows readers not only what it means to be transsexual, but what it means to be human. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Mar 21, 2014 |
Interesting-esque story, really dry and boring author. Plus, I've seen this author on numerous documentaries and medical show interviews. Couldn't dredge through the book.
  tealightful | Sep 24, 2013 |
Jennifer tells the story of how she transitioned from James Boylan to her true self and the effect that had on her family and friends. At times heartbreaking, always humorous and extremely well written, this book is essential for those interested in gender studies. ( )
  EmScape | Jul 3, 2013 |
The author writes about her transexuality: about coming out to her family and friends and managing the gender transition. Jennifer Finney Boylan is a novelist, and an astute observer. She's good at letting us know how living (and being perceived)as a woman feels very different from living (and being perceived) as a man. The book is light, funny, and yet very telling. ( )
  astrologerjenny | Apr 25, 2013 |
For Katie Finney (1948 - 2002)

The provocative bestseller She’s Not There is the winning, utterly surprising story of a person changing genders. By turns hilarious and deeply moving, Jennifer Finney Boylan explores the territory that lies between men and women, examines changing friendships, and rejoices in the redeeming power of family. Told in Boylan’s fresh voice, She’s Not There is about a person bearing and finally revealing a complex secret. Through her clear eyes, She’s Not There provides a new window on the confounding process of accepting our true selves.

“Probably no book I’ve read in recent years has made me so question my basic assumptions about both the centrality and the permeability of gender, and made me recognize myself in a situation I’ve never known and have never faced . . . The universality of the astonishingly uncommon: that’s the trick of She’s Not There. And with laughs, too. What a good book.” —Anna Quindlen, from the Introduction to the Book-of-the-Month-Club edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:41 -0400)

A memoir that tells the story of a person who changed genders chronicles the life of James, a critically acclaimed novelist, who eventually became Jenny, a happy and successful English professor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,331,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible