24 Girls in 7 Days by Alex Bradley

24 Girls in 7 Days

by Alex Bradley

269None42,657 (3.65)8
(2) boy (3) boys (4) chick lit (3) dating (28) dating/romance (2) fiction (18) friendship (3) funny (4) girl (2) girls (4) high school (15) humor (18) humorous (3) Iowa City (3) library (3) love (2) novel (3) prom (28) read (4) realistic fiction (8) relationships (4) romance (19) TAYSHAS (2) teen (11) teen fiction (2) teenagers (2) YA (19) young adult (15) young adult fiction (3)

This book was REALLY cute, and I wasn't sure how it was going to end (i.e. who he was going to end up with), but I really liked the way it ended... I'm not sure I'd call this "realistic fiction," because would this really happen? Who knows. But I sure enjoyed reading it!

All right, so this book was written by a guy from a male high-school senior's point-of-view, which under most circumstances frightens me, because I honestly don't want to know how much teenage boys think about sex. No thank you. But it was actually QUITE clean and innocent, other than some mild-ish language.

So the book is about this boy, Jack, who is pretty pathetic when it comes to girls, but he really wants to go to his Senior Prom, for very adorable sentimental reasons. So he asks this girl out that he's had a crush on for 3 years, and ALMOST gets her to say yes before he botches it. And, well, his two best friends (Percy and Natalie) decide to help him out a little bit by placing a personal ad in the school newspaper for Jack. Which is REALLY embarrassing. But it seems to work... he gets a ton of responses, so Natalie and Percy whittle it down to 24 girls that he has to sort through and pick one from in the WEEK before prom.

And suddenly, Jack is like Mr. Popular... (See what I mean about realistic-fiction? Would this really happen? My sources say no.) So all of a sudden he goes from having two dates in two years (I believe) and having kissed ONE girl, to having girls falling all over him and wanting to make out... haha... (Oh no! Every teenage boy's nightmare!)

So the book tells the story of how he figures out "love" and stays true to himself, even though some of the most beautiful, popular girls are among the 24... :) It was really cute and funny... :) ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
Very fun - I liked that it didn't go the places I anticipated. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
A breezy, fun read about a guy, Jack, whose best friends put an ad on his behalf in their school's online newspaper to advertise for a prom date. He has a week to go on 24 dates and find his date to the prom.
As Jack tries to navigate this strange situation, he gets some wise words along the way from the mysterious FancyPants. While his friends have his best interests at heart, they aren't always honest with Jack, whose week pushes his boundaries.
I really liked this line, "The worst thing that people can really do is say 'no' to you. And 'no' isn't that bad because eventually it helps point you in the right direction, I think. Helps you find 'yes'." (254) ( )
  ewyatt | Jul 5, 2012 |
24 Girls started out strong, but as I reached the half way point, I realized that I'd slowly begun to care less and less what happened to our hero. It's a really interesting premise, where a likeable guy's best friends post a joke ad for a prom date and he gets a list of possible girls, all of whom are not right in some way because he's been talking to someone called FancyPants online and we all know where that's heading. As much as I enjoyed the opening, it lost steam after the first third and I really didn't care anymore. I skimmed the last part of the book just to find out who FancyPants was. ( )
  strongpieces | Jan 20, 2012 |
Book Review Template

Author last name, first name. Title. Year. Publisher: City.
Bradley, Alex. 24 Girls in 7 Days. 2005. Penguin Group: New York.

Genre: Humorous Fiction

Themes: Dating, friendship, high school prom

Age / Grade Appropriateness Recommended by (If you can find it, what age – grade is this book recommended for by the publisher. If you disagree with the recommended age, state so here):

Awards:
ALA Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers (2006)

Abraham Lincoln Illinois High School Book Award Nominee (2008)

Censorship Issues: There are a few curse words throughout this book. They are within the context of the story and generally go unnoticed.

Plot Summary:
Jack Grammer is a high school senior without a date for the prom. So his best friends Natalie and Percy go behind his back and post an ad on the school’s online newspaper pretending to be Jack looking for a date to the prom. They convince Jack that there were hundreds of responses and Jack agrees to date 24 girls in 7 days and then choose a date for the prom. As he goes on dates with different girls, he thinks that he may be in love with his best friend Natalie. There is also a mysterious girl “Fancy Pants” who emails him with thoughts of wisdom whom he believes could be his soul mate. On the eve of the prom, Jack decides that he has learned a lot about himself through this experience and he will go to prom with himself. The day of prom, Jack decides to ask Percy’s grandmother to the prom because Percy’s grandfather is in the hospital and they have traditionally attended the prom and danced the first dance. She agrees and they attend the prom together. After Jack brings her home he returns to the prom where he bumps into Adrian Swift, a girl whose path keeps crossing his. They begin talking and decide to go for a midnight breakfast. As the book ends, the story seems to just be beginning for Jack Grammer.

Your critique: This book captures the attention of the teen reader with its catchy title. It is written from the viewpoint of Jack Grammer, senior in high school. His insecurities are identifiable with most teens. The story is fast paced with lots of things happening within the seven days before prom. The story is basically optimistic with Jack learning more about himself by the end of the book. The theme of prom and the drama leading up to prom will be familiar to most teens. I believe that the idea that so many girls would be willing to make a last minute date to the prom is unrealistic. Even with this element, the story was entertaining and I think it would be interesting to teens.

Curriculum Uses: I think this book would be a good addition to any teen library collection. It is a quick and easy read and would be a good recommendation for reluctant readers. The title is catchy enough to attract teen boys who may otherwise resist novels.
  Andreaz | Oct 17, 2010 |

There are few things sadder than Jack Grammar’s love life. So when his friends take it upon themselves to get him a date to the prom by placing an intensely humiliating ad in the school paper, they think they are doing him a favor. Jack doesn’t agree. But then the most amazing thing happens: responses to the ad are overwhelming. So overwhelming, in fact, that Jack must narrow the list down. A lot. Not an easy task. Turns out, the girls at City High are quite competitive. From drive-by flashings to breaking and entering to cell phone stalkers, these potential prom dates will stop at nothing to snag the suddenly popular Jack. How will he ever choose just one?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:31 -0400)

Jack Grammar, average American senior, has no date for the prom until his so-called best friends post an ad in the school newspaper and assemble a list of eager girls, giving him just seven days to meet and date them all before asking one special girl to the prom.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible