A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon

A Bad Case of Stripes (original 1998; edition 1999)

by David Shannon, Kathleen Westray (Designer)

Member:MelissaSiobhan
Title:A Bad Case of Stripes
Authors:David Shannon
Other authors:Kathleen Westray (Designer)
Info:Scholastic Inc. (1999), Edition: First Scholastic Paperback Printing, Paperback, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:stripes, being yourself, school issues, peer issues, sickness, David Shannon, fiction, lima beans, self-esteem, peer pressure, individuality

A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon (1998)

There are several reasons I like "A Bad Case of Stripes." First, the plot is really great for young children. It is extremely funny and engaging. Second, I absolutely loved the illustrations because they enhanced the story. The pictures of Camilla are so engaging and appropriate to the mood of the story. Finally, Camilla is well-developed and believable. Even though the genre is modern fantasy, you could believe her character. Children could relate to how Camilla is feeling and how she act. For example, “Camilla wanted a big, heaping plate of lima beans more than just about anything, but she was still afraid to admit it. Yuck, no one likes lima beans, especially me!” The big idea of this book is being able to accept yourself for who you are. ( )
  esiera1 | Apr 10, 2014 |
This imaginative story is about being true to oneself and not worrying about what others think. The message was subtle but clearly stated at the end. I thought the plot was very interesting and the incorporation of a vegetable many kids do not like was a good strategy to show that not everyone likes the same food. Camilla was so concerned about her peer’s opinions that she stopped eating her favorite food. This caused and even bigger problem for Camilla and she started to change her appearance drastically. The illustrations emphasized the character’s emotions. The doctors were curious, others were horrified, and Camilla was sad and embarrassed. The display of emotions helped the reader to connect to the story and fully understand how Camilla felt being observed by others. Overall, I thought this was a cute story that expands on the reader’s imagination. ( )
  EmilySadler | Apr 1, 2014 |
LOVE THIS BOOK. The pictures are beautiful, and the story is equally as touching and so much can be learned from it. The little girl in the story doesn't want to admit that she likes something everyone else hates. So she denies it and weird things start happening to her. Only when she is true to herself is when her life is returned back to normal. ( )
  mariah21 | Apr 1, 2014 |
I thought this was a wonderful book, for a variety of reasons. First, I thought the illustrations throughout the book were wonderful. Camilla is accentuated on each page through the illustrations; the colors used for her character are much more vibrant than the other characters and the background, too. Also, when the doctors, specialists, and the experts arrived to examine Camilla, the illustrations depicted the bewilderment felt among all the individuals. For example, the specialists had perplexed expressions while their glasses appeared so thick, one could not even see their eyes! I also enjoyed how believable Camilla Cream was; what happened to her was fictitious, but she was an extremely relatable character, which aids in the readers’ engagement. At the beginning of the book, she was preoccupied with fitting in, which many people can relate to. She gained her stripes by not eating her lima beans only because her friends did not like them, even though she loved them. The irony of the story is that the lima beans were her cure! By the end of the story, Camilla had accepted that she was not the same as everyone else, but she did not care. Thus, she would not encounter her crazy stripes again! There was even more irony in the story, which made me like it even more. Each time someone or something would try to cure Camilla, she would instantaneously turn into or show whatever the suggestion was. For example, when the specialists gave her all different types of medicine she turned into a giant pill. I thought that this sent a powerful message to the reader; by not showing her true colors, Camilla was plagued with stripes, stars, pictures, etc. all over her body. If Camilla showed who she truly was and revealed her true colors, she would not have a bad case of stripes! I really liked how the moral was not too overpowering, but it was definitely present. The main message of this book is do not be afraid to be who you truly are and do not worry extensively about what other people think. ( )
  sarabeck | Apr 1, 2014 |
I have always enjoyed this book. First, the illustrations are so detailed. When all of the doctors and specialist are coming to check out Camilla and she starts to change into anything and everything they say, the quote, “A picture is worth a thousand words,” could not be anymore perfect. All of the illustrations really enhance the story. I like that the story is very descriptive and the author uses a lot of adjectives, ““It might be a virus,” he announced with authority. Suddenly, fuzzy little virus balls appeared all over Camilla. “Or possibly some form of bacteria,” said Mr. Mellon. Out popped squiggly little bacteria tails.” Another thing I like is that the character is believable, and she acts just like any girl in school. For example, “It was the first day of school and she couldn’t decide what to wear. There were so many people to impress! She tried on forty-two outfits.” If that doesn’t describe every girl on her first day of school, in any grade, I’m not sure what does! The central message of this book is that you should not be afraid to be who you are. ( )
  kjacks26 | Mar 30, 2014 |
To my wife, Heidi; and to my friend and teacher, Philip Hays, a.k.a. “Uncle Legend”
Camilla Cream loved lima beans.

K-Grade 2: Camilla Cream loves lima beans, but she never eats them. Why? Because the other kids in her school don't like them. And Camilla Cream is very, very worried about what other people think of her. In fact, she's so worried that she's about to break out in...a bad case of stripes!"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale.

Let Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experiences-laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!

Eight classic, best-selling titles are available now!

Category: Making Friends
"What we have here is a bad case of stripes. One of the worst I've ever seen!"

"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale."-Kirkus Reviews, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:36 -0400)

In order to ensure her popularity, Camilla Cream always does what is expected, until the day arrives when she no longer recognizes herself.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,550,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible