A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon

A Bad Case of Stripes (original 1998; edition 1999)

by David Shannon, Kathleen Westray (Designer)

Member:MelissaSiobhan
Title:A Bad Case of Stripes
Authors:David Shannon
Other authors:Kathleen Westray (Designer)
Info:Scholastic Inc. (1999), Edition: First Scholastic Paperback Printing, Paperback, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:stripes, being yourself, school issues, peer issues, sickness, David Shannon, fiction, lima beans, self-esteem, peer pressure, individuality

A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon (1998)

A Bad Case of Stripes has been one of my favorite books since I was a little girl. The illustrations are extraordinary and the storyline is very unique and detailed. This book can appeal to various elementary school grades for different reasons. For example, when I first read this book, I was in kindergarten and I remember really liking the pictures and always talking about them to my parents. As I got older, I reread the book and really liked the story. The message the story conveys is that you should never be ashamed of something you like whether it is lima beans or a certain hobby, which is something that is so important for children to understand. During elementary schools, especially in the upper grades, children are discovering different things that interest them, but sometimes those things may be unique to others and receive negative feedback in return. However, this story does a great job of showing children that if they like something, they should embrace it, not be embarrassed of it.
  amanna2 | Mar 1, 2015 |
I liked this book for the illustrations. The illustrations were detailed and engaging to the reader. For example when Camilla Cream becomes the American Flag and changes all sorts of colors. I also liked this story for the writing. The storyline was engaging and fun to listen too, readers don't know what color Camilla will turn next. The big idea of the story is to stay true to yourself and not worry what others will think of you. ( )
  egiddi1 | Feb 28, 2015 |
This book is about wanting to fit in so desperately that you become someone you are not. I like this book for three reasons. The first reason is how the book is written using a third person point of view. This enabled the author to explain different scenarios with his own words, giving the book a more light hearted feeling. An example of this comes when describing what happened to Camilla at school: “Soon everyone was calling out different shapes and colors, and poor Camilla was changing faster than you can change channels on a T.V.” The second reason I like this book is because I enjoyed the descriptive language of the text, which packs in many different words and phrases in a short reading span. An example is when Dr. Bumble first arrives to examine Camilla. He asks, “Are you having any coughing, sneezing, runny nose, aches, pains, chills, hot flashes, dizziness, drowsiness, shortness of breath, or uncontrollable twitching?” Finally, I like how the illustrations effectively enhance the plot as it progresses. When Dr. Bumble arrives with three specialists, “They squeezed and jabbed, tapped and tested,” Camilla. The accompanying picture shows Camilla with all four of these people performing stereotypical doctors’ tests at the same time. The comical exaggeration gets the point through. ( )
  jmille113 | Feb 23, 2015 |
Camilla Cream loves lima beans, but refuses to eat them because the other kids in school do not like lima beans. She is constantly worried about what other people think of her so she chooses not to eat them so that she will be like the other kids in school. One morning Camilla wakes up with a bad case of stripes! The stripes change into all sorts of things e.g. polka dots, the American flag, and even her own room when her schoolmates and other specialists’ call out different things she could change into. Finally, an old woman who was as plump as a strawberry offered Camilla lima beans to cure her bad case of stripes and Camilla finally admits that she loves them and puts some in her mouth and she rids herself of the bad case of stripes and becomes herself again.
I like A Bad Case of Stripes for a couple of reasons, one of the biggest reasons I like this book is because it has a good message for young children. If I was going to read this book to a child I would probably pick a child between the ages of 5-7 or kindergarten and the second grade. Also I liked the illustrations in the story I believe that they fit the story well and were very nice for young children to enjoy. That is why I liked the story A Bad Case of Stripes.
  Ekelle8 | Feb 23, 2015 |
I love this fantasy for its storyline and illustrations. It also teaches a crucial lesson to young readers. Many individuals are so worried about what others think and will do things that they normally would not to get a person to like them. This book teaches young readers to love themselves or they'll turn into someone they don't appreciate. The illistrations clearly demonstrate her changing into what her peers would like, but she is never satisfied with herself.
  bmille16 | Feb 19, 2015 |
To my wife, Heidi; and to my friend and teacher, Philip Hays, a.k.a. “Uncle Legend”
Camilla Cream loved lima beans.

K-Grade 2: Camilla Cream loves lima beans, but she never eats them. Why? Because the other kids in her school don't like them. And Camilla Cream is very, very worried about what other people think of her. In fact, she's so worried that she's about to break out in...a bad case of stripes!"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale.

Let Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experiences-laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!

Eight classic, best-selling titles are available now!

Category: Making Friends
"What we have here is a bad case of stripes. One of the worst I've ever seen!"

"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale."-Kirkus Reviews, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:36 -0400)

In order to ensure her popularity, Camilla Cream always does what is expected, until the day arrives when she no longer recognizes herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,770,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible