A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon

A Bad Case of Stripes (original 1998; edition 1999)

by David Shannon, Kathleen Westray (Designer)

Member:MelissaSiobhan
Title:A Bad Case of Stripes
Authors:David Shannon
Other authors:Kathleen Westray (Designer)
Info:Scholastic Inc. (1999), Edition: First Scholastic Paperback Printing, Paperback, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:stripes, being yourself, school issues, peer issues, sickness, David Shannon, fiction, lima beans, self-esteem, peer pressure, individuality

A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon (1998)

Suki's Kimono by Chieri Uegaki (beelrami)
    beelrami: Both books are about being yourself on the first day of school but the girls go through different journeys.
    Imogene's Antlers by David Small (conuly)
    Chocolatina by Erik Kraft (infiniteletters)
    The Big Orange Splot by D. Manus Pinkwater (conuly)

English (242)  Spanish (1)  All languages (243)
There are quite a few reasons I enjoyed the book A Bad Case of the Stripes. I liked the book because the illustrations enhance the story. When the author is describing Camille during an embarrassing moment “she tried her best to act as if everything were normal, but when the class said the Pledge of Allegiance, her stripes turned red, white, and blue, and she broke out in stars!” the illustration enhances this writing by focusing the illustration on Camille covered in the stars and stripes. The second reason I like the book was because the language was descriptive. An example of descriptive language starts on the first line “Camilla Cream loves lima beans. But she never ate them. All of her friends hated lima beans, and she wanted to fit in.” This described the main character’s personality and motives. The big idea of the book is not to worry about what others think of you. ( )
  Rvealey | Apr 27, 2016 |
This is a great book! Kids will love this silly story about the girl with the bad case of stripes. ( )
  Chelsie10 | Apr 10, 2016 |
In my opinion, this is a great book. I really liked how the author pushed readers to think about the tough issue of fitting in through a hilarious plot. One example of this is when Camilla turns into her bedroom wall and has a bed for lips, windows for eyes, and a dresser for a nose. “’Close your eyes,’ she said. Breathe deeply and become one with your room.’
‘I wish you hadn’t said that Camilla groan.’” Here we see Camilla starting to understand that other peoples words can affect you.
Another reason I like this book is because of the illustrations that accompany it. My favorite picture in the book is when Camilla is turned into a pill after being given many pills to take. This comical depiction is outrageous but still believable within the confines of the book’s world. The big idea of this book is to be true to yourself, regardless of what others think. ( )
  CathiRussell | Apr 3, 2016 |
I liked this book because it sends a good message to students. The characters in this book are well developed, and hold students attention. Camilla the main character likes lima beans but no one else likes them and when she stops eating them she develops a case of the stripes. The writing in this book is engaging and organized, the background story keeps students attention because it is not something that would normally happen to something in real life. I feel that the main idea of this book is to show students that it is okay to be different and if you like something that no one else likes, that does not make you weird or an outcast. ( )
  mhernd3 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Camilla Cream is a girl that loves to fit in. Camilla struggles being herself around the kids at school because she doesn't want to get judged, especially becasue she is the only one that liks lima beans. One day before school starts she notices a bunch of colorful stripes all over her body. The doctor says that it is still okay to go to school but as soon as she goes it gets worse! everytime a kid yells out a pattern her skin begins to change. She comes home immediatly and tries to get help from other doctors. This makes it so bad that she eventually becomes her bedroom. After many attempts to get her back to normal, a woman with a jar of lima beans feeds camilla and gets her right back to normal. Camilla never stopped eating lima beans again! This books illustrations were very interesting and made me wanting to read more. The imagination used by the author made me happy i chose him as my special author.
GENRE: Fantasy
USE: Don't make fun of others
Always be yourself
MEDIA: Oils
  japodaca14 | Mar 29, 2016 |
To my wife, Heidi; and to my friend and teacher, Philip Hays, a.k.a. “Uncle Legend”
Camilla Cream loved lima beans.

K-Grade 2: Camilla Cream loves lima beans, but she never eats them. Why? Because the other kids in her school don't like them. And Camilla Cream is very, very worried about what other people think of her. In fact, she's so worried that she's about to break out in...a bad case of stripes!"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale.

Let Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experiences-laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!

Eight classic, best-selling titles are available now!

Category: Making Friends
"What we have here is a bad case of stripes. One of the worst I've ever seen!"

"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale."-Kirkus Reviews, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

In order to ensure her popularity, Camilla Cream always does what is expected, until the day arrives when she no longer recognizes herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,869,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible