A Bad Case Of Stripes - Multilingual Audio…

A Bad Case Of Stripes - Multilingual Audio (original 1998; edition 2010)

by David Shannon

Member:conlonk
Title:A Bad Case Of Stripes - Multilingual Audio
Authors:David Shannon
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2010), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback
Tags:Children's story, lesson, moral, funny

A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon (1998)

Suki's Kimono by Chieri Uegaki (beelrami)
    beelrami: Both books are about being yourself on the first day of school but the girls go through different journeys.
    Imogene's Antlers by David Small (conuly)
    Chocolatina by Erik Kraft (infiniteletters)
    The Big Orange Splot by D. Manus Pinkwater (conuly)

English (244)  Spanish (1)  All languages (245)
A Bad Case of Stripes introduces us to Camilla Cream who is concerned with what others think of her. Camilla loves Lima beans, but she doesn’t want anyone to know. She develops stripes and other patterns on herself as she denies who she is and becomes upset by the reaction of others toward her. She must accept herself, to become herself again.
The inferred theme is self-acceptance, which students can make connections to. The text can be used in an analyzing feelings unit. The illustrations beautifully convey Camilla’s feelings, and the events that occur.
  Lheatherly | Jul 29, 2016 |
lots but none in CC
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
There are quite a few reasons I enjoyed the book A Bad Case of the Stripes. I liked the book because the illustrations enhance the story. When the author is describing Camille during an embarrassing moment “she tried her best to act as if everything were normal, but when the class said the Pledge of Allegiance, her stripes turned red, white, and blue, and she broke out in stars!” the illustration enhances this writing by focusing the illustration on Camille covered in the stars and stripes. The second reason I like the book was because the language was descriptive. An example of descriptive language starts on the first line “Camilla Cream loves lima beans. But she never ate them. All of her friends hated lima beans, and she wanted to fit in.” This described the main character’s personality and motives. The big idea of the book is not to worry about what others think of you. ( )
  Rvealey | Apr 27, 2016 |
This is a great book! Kids will love this silly story about the girl with the bad case of stripes. ( )
  Chelsie10 | Apr 10, 2016 |
In my opinion, this is a great book. I really liked how the author pushed readers to think about the tough issue of fitting in through a hilarious plot. One example of this is when Camilla turns into her bedroom wall and has a bed for lips, windows for eyes, and a dresser for a nose. “’Close your eyes,’ she said. Breathe deeply and become one with your room.’
‘I wish you hadn’t said that Camilla groan.’” Here we see Camilla starting to understand that other peoples words can affect you.
Another reason I like this book is because of the illustrations that accompany it. My favorite picture in the book is when Camilla is turned into a pill after being given many pills to take. This comical depiction is outrageous but still believable within the confines of the book’s world. The big idea of this book is to be true to yourself, regardless of what others think. ( )
  CathiRussell | Apr 3, 2016 |
To my wife, Heidi; and to my friend and teacher, Philip Hays, a.k.a. “Uncle Legend”
Camilla Cream loved lima beans.

K-Grade 2: Camilla Cream loves lima beans, but she never eats them. Why? Because the other kids in her school don't like them. And Camilla Cream is very, very worried about what other people think of her. In fact, she's so worried that she's about to break out in...a bad case of stripes!"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale.

Let Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experiences-laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!

Eight classic, best-selling titles are available now!

Category: Making Friends
"What we have here is a bad case of stripes. One of the worst I've ever seen!"

"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale."-Kirkus Reviews, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

In order to ensure her popularity, Camilla Cream always does what is expected, until the day arrives when she no longer recognizes herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,619,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible