A Bad Case Of Stripes - Multilingual Audio…

A Bad Case Of Stripes - Multilingual Audio (original 1998; edition 2010)

by David Shannon

Title:A Bad Case Of Stripes - Multilingual Audio
Authors:David Shannon
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2010), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback
Tags:Children's story, lesson, moral, funny

A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon (1998)

Suki's Kimono by Chieri Uegaki (beelrami)
    beelrami: Both books are about being yourself on the first day of school but the girls go through different journeys.
    Imogene's Antlers by David Small (conuly)
    Chocolatina by Erik Kraft (infiniteletters)
    The Big Orange Splot by D. Manus Pinkwater (conuly)

This is a trade book that I gave four out of five stars. The story starts out with a girl named Camilla. It was her first day of school and all of a sudden she broke out in stripes. Camilla ate some lima beans and finally went back to normal. The intention of the book was to show the readers that you should always be yourself, and not care about what other people think of you. The whole time Camilla loved lima beans, but no one else did. So she never ate them and acted like they tasted horrible. The illustrations throughout the book used vibrant colors. The pictures looked incredibly real and the colors were extremely bright. It made the book much more exciting to read, because of all the different stripes Camilla had. I think a teacher would use this in a classroom by showing everyone that they should be themselves. If someone doesn't like something you like, it is okay. Do lie and change who you are. This was a great read. ( )
  j.swancutt | Oct 7, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading this book. It was different from many of the other children's books I have read recently. Although it was a little lengthy, I still enjoyed it. The language was clear and concise. I also liked how there were pictures on every page which ultimately added to the story, in my opinion.
  sbanke1 | Oct 6, 2015 |
I really enjoyed reading this book because it was just very different from other books I have read before. The fact that the girl, Camilla, had a bad case of stripes which covered her whole body was very intriguing which caught my attention and i wanted to read to find out why it happened. I also loved the illustrations that were on each page, they were very detailed and entertaining. The message for this book is that you should always be yourself, never let other peoples judgments affect your life and what you like. Camilla in the story refused to eat Lima beans even though she loved them because she didn't want to be judged for eating them because no one likes Lima beans. But at the end it was the Lima beans that cured her. ( )
  dvazqu2 | Oct 1, 2015 |
This was another one of my childhood favorites that I found myself enjoying as a young adult when I went back to reread it. Camilla Cream is a realistic character: she worries about what other people think. Children find this book visually appealing because of the silly yet vivid illustrations. While the concept of getting a sickness that turns your entire body into rainbow stripes is fiction, children can relate to times that they have been sick. The plot is well paced and draws suspense, as the reader anticipates whether or not Camilla will be cured. However, the main reason I love this book is because of its message to not be afraid to be yourself. At the end of the story, Camilla realizes she doesn't need other people's approval, and decides to eat her favorite lima beans. I think that this is an incredibly important message to send to kids, especially at a young age, because children should be encouraged to be themselves and not conform to how others think they should act. ( )
1 vote alexavecchio | Sep 29, 2015 |
I remember reading this book many times when I was little. I love this book! What really catch my eye are all the illustrations. From having Camilla’s skin change from stripes to the American flag to just anything the students call her are really drawn well done. This book is cute because she wants to be like everyone else and not like lima beans but her not eating the lima beans is what is causing her to change colors and be made fun of. Another clever thing about this book is that in the beginning, Camilla’s skin only turned colors but later, her whole body formed into certain things. She grew branches, tails, turned into a pill, and even turned into the room where the pictures were her eyes, the dresser was her nose and the bed was her mouth. The moral of this story is to stay true to yourself. Be your own self and do not like anyone else change your mind. ( )
  Jvoorh1 | Sep 22, 2015 |
To my wife, Heidi; and to my friend and teacher, Philip Hays, a.k.a. “Uncle Legend”
Camilla Cream loved lima beans.

K-Grade 2: Camilla Cream loves lima beans, but she never eats them. Why? Because the other kids in her school don't like them. And Camilla Cream is very, very worried about what other people think of her. In fact, she's so worried that she's about to break out in...a bad case of stripes!"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale.

Let Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experiences-laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!

Eight classic, best-selling titles are available now!

Category: Making Friends
"What we have here is a bad case of stripes. One of the worst I've ever seen!"

"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale."-Kirkus Reviews, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

In order to ensure her popularity, Camilla Cream always does what is expected, until the day arrives when she no longer recognizes herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,788,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible