A Bad Case Of Stripes - Multilingual Audio…

A Bad Case Of Stripes - Multilingual Audio (original 1998; edition 2010)

by David Shannon

Member:conlonk
Title:A Bad Case Of Stripes - Multilingual Audio
Authors:David Shannon
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2010), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback
Tags:Children's story, lesson, moral, funny

A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon (1998)

Recently added byCarley14, Merryann, private library, sradomsk, abanana, BethanyvThompson, hmedlin, MacMasterFamily

Really enjoyed this when I was a kid, but it also weirded me out a bit too... never could quite put my finger on it. ( )
  cebellol | Jul 23, 2014 |
Summary: Camilla worried too much about what everyone else thought. She didn't do things, like eat lima beans, that she thought the other kids would make fun of. One day after trying on 40+ outfits for the first day of school, she suddenly broke out into colorful rainbow stripes. When at school her skin would adapt to whatever the children shouted to her, the American flag, checkers, purple polka dots. She even melted into her room when a specialist suggested she become, "one with her room." A plump little lady finally showed up and suggested Camilla eat lima beans and her stripes would be cured, and she was.
Personal Reaction: This story is a wonderful story for all age groups. The illustrations were beautiful, and the moral of the story was one every young person needs to be heavily exposed to. It story was almost magical with a huge lesson to be learned. I have never read this book before, and will definitely be adding to my collection. Camilla finds the confidence she needs to just be herself despite what others may think. If you are not yourself, you will drive yourself crazy morphing into all the different things everyone else wants you to be.
Extension Ideas:
1. From Scholastic.com I saw an idea to have the children draw a self portrait of themselves, with their own "Bad Case of...," reflecting whatever their favorite thing is. Above the portraits hang a sign, "We Respect Differences."
2. Create a list combining things students from the class felt nervous about on the first day of school and as a class discuss a solution so those same things won't be a problem anymore.
  copeland86 | Jul 13, 2014 |
"Oh I love that book! It is so funny." -- My 6yo. Her kindergarten teacher read this book to their class during kindergarten.
  lquilter | Jul 6, 2014 |
Camilla Cream loves lima beans but doesn't want anyone to know. One day she wakes up with a case of the stripes. The stripes get so bad and multiple medical professionals try to help, but they have no luck. Finally, a sweet old lady comes up with the most simple solution.
  kfh2 | Jun 9, 2014 |
This was one of my all time favorite books when I was younger and I was more than eager to read it again when I opened up a box of my old childhood books. The writing is fantastic and the illustrations are even more fantastic, they are elaborate and bright and colorful. The story itself is intriguing, if not a little frightening for kids, because it's about a girl who is too afraid of what others will think of her and she thinks she will be judged for actually liking lima beans, so she doesn't eat them ever, and she gets a strange disease because of that. It encourages kids to not only eat their vegetables, but to not care or take into consideration what others think of you because everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Definitely a must-have! ( )
  adscrim | May 11, 2014 |
To my wife, Heidi; and to my friend and teacher, Philip Hays, a.k.a. “Uncle Legend”
Camilla Cream loved lima beans.

K-Grade 2: Camilla Cream loves lima beans, but she never eats them. Why? Because the other kids in her school don't like them. And Camilla Cream is very, very worried about what other people think of her. In fact, she's so worried that she's about to break out in...a bad case of stripes!"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale.

Let Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experiences-laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!

Eight classic, best-selling titles are available now!

Category: Making Friends
"What we have here is a bad case of stripes. One of the worst I've ever seen!"

"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale."-Kirkus Reviews, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:36 -0400)

In order to ensure her popularity, Camilla Cream always does what is expected, until the day arrives when she no longer recognizes herself.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible