A Bad Case Of Stripes - Multilingual Audio…

A Bad Case Of Stripes - Multilingual Audio (original 1998; edition 2010)

by David Shannon

Member:conlonk
Title:A Bad Case Of Stripes - Multilingual Audio
Authors:David Shannon
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2010), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback
Tags:Children's story, lesson, moral, funny

A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon (1998)

One thing that I liked about this story was the plot. In my opinion the whole story is very original and one of my favorite David Shannon stories. I also like this story because students can relate to Camilla Cream. Just like Camilla Cream, children just want to fit in with the other students. But in the end it doesn't matter what other people think it matters what you think of yourself. This story is a prime example of this lesson. ( )
  cporte8 | Oct 7, 2014 |
Camilla loves lima beans but she never eats them because no one else likes them. She is always worried about what others think about her. So she breaks out in a bad case of stripes. ( )
  acreel | Sep 30, 2014 |
Review: In my opinion this is a great book for children to read or listen to. It is very relatable for children because it talks about how the little girl didn't eat lima beans. Most children don't like lima beans so they might be able to relate to that or many other events that happen in this book.

Summary: The story starts with a little girl named Camilla who loved lima beans but never ate them because none of her friends like them. She starts getting ready for her first day of school, but she doesn't know what to wear. She was always worried about what people thought of her so she tried on so many outfits. When she didn't know what to wear she screamed and her mother ran up and screamed too. Camilla looked and she was covered in rainbow stripes. Camilla's mom put her in bed, told her she couldn't go to school, and called the doctor. The doctor said he had never seen anything like this before. At school the next day everyone was laughing at her and yelling designs at her so that her body would change into them. She was covered in polka dots, stars, checkers, and many other things. Camilla was not allowed to go to school anymore. After the doctors gave her many pills to try, her body turned into a pill! Everything that the doctors gave her added to weird appearance. The therapist told her to not think about it and melt into her room. All of a sudden she turned into her room. Her mouth was her bed and her face was on the walls. Finally a little woman gave Camilla some lima beans and she turned back to her normal self.

Argument: Overall I loved reading this book. It was so unrealistic that it was funny. This little girl gets a disease because she doesn't want to not fit in because she likes lima beans and no one else does. The illustrations help the reader imagine what this little girl would look like.

The lesson of this book is on friendship. You should never change who you are to fit in or make others happy. At the end of the book the little girl realizes that she should eat whatever she wants and her friends should like her for the way she is. ( )
  knold1 | Sep 30, 2014 |
Good for story structure and predicting ( )
  Bmazzola94 | Sep 26, 2014 |
In my opinion, “A Bad Case of Stripes” is a good book for children because it teaches an important lesson about always being your self. Not only is this book teaching children a lesson on individuality, but also demonstrates consequences to what could “happen” when you are not being yourself. One of the qualities that I like about this book is that the plot of the story is very organized. The story starts with Camilla Cream getting ready for her first day of school and talking about how people would not like her because she loves lima beans. The author states in the story that, “Camilla always thought what other people thought of her.” Another quality that I enjoyed was the illustrations that David Shannon provided to help the story come alive. When Camilla was changing from stripes to a pillbox with medicine, the colors and detail are very distinct. As the story progresses, the audience is able to see the consequences Camilla encounters because she does not eat what she loves. The object of the story is to encourage children to be themselves no matter what other people may think of you. This has always been one my favorite book when I was little because I was always the outsider with my weight. This book made me realize that I am my own person even if people judge me differently for it. The big idea of the story is that no matter what other people think about you do not ever need to be afraid. Just be yourself for better or for worse. ( )
  kflach1 | Sep 24, 2014 |
To my wife, Heidi; and to my friend and teacher, Philip Hays, a.k.a. “Uncle Legend”
Camilla Cream loved lima beans.

K-Grade 2: Camilla Cream loves lima beans, but she never eats them. Why? Because the other kids in her school don't like them. And Camilla Cream is very, very worried about what other people think of her. In fact, she's so worried that she's about to break out in...a bad case of stripes!"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale.

Let Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experiences-laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!

Eight classic, best-selling titles are available now!

Category: Making Friends
"What we have here is a bad case of stripes. One of the worst I've ever seen!"

"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale."-Kirkus Reviews, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:36 -0400)

In order to ensure her popularity, Camilla Cream always does what is expected, until the day arrives when she no longer recognizes herself.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible