A Bad Case Of Stripes - Multilingual Audio…

A Bad Case Of Stripes - Multilingual Audio (original 1998; edition 2010)

by David Shannon

2,5881922,308 (4.33)11
Member:conlonk
Title:A Bad Case Of Stripes - Multilingual Audio
Authors:David Shannon
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2010), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback
Tags:Children's story, lesson, moral, funny

A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon (1998)

This book is a colorful and wild story about a girl who wants to fit in. In the ends the moral of the story is you are special just the way you are. This is always one of my classrooms favorite books. It makes them think about times when they were afraid to be their own person.
  kamijake | Mar 11, 2015 |
I love this book! This was my mother's favorite book to read to me. She was just like Camilla, the main character in the story who LOVED lima beans. My mother would read this story to me and we would have so much fun. The pictures are almost just as important as the text of the story. They give great detail to what was happening to Camilla and the many colors, patterns, and shapes Camilla was turning into. They were so fun for me to look at. Another thing I liked in this story were the characters. The main character was Camilla, who in the beginning of the story, was worried about what other people thought of her. She was worried about how she looked and what she ate. By the end of the story, she was eating her lima beans proudly, no matter what other people thought. ( )
  tbarne9 | Mar 5, 2015 |
Summary:
A young girl, Camilla, wakes up one day and discovers that she is cover in colorful stripes. The book follows a couple days in her life where she discovers the stripes change colors and shapes and doctors are baffled. It all boils down to eating vegetables and being yourself.

Personal Reaction:
I remember this book from when I was younger. I liked the presentation of the material and most certainly remember hating Lima Beans with a passion because of their evil power.

Class Extension:
Maybe talk to the kids about eating the vegetables, or how teasing one another is not nice or fun. ( )
  TimothyOtotivo77 | Mar 3, 2015 |
Camilla loved lima beans but did not eat them because no one else did. Before school looked in mirror and looked like a rainbow. Went to school and everybody laughed at her. Cured when she finally ate lima beans again. ( )
  Brennanako | Mar 3, 2015 |
A Bad Case of Stripes has been one of my favorite books since I was a little girl. The illustrations are extraordinary and the storyline is very unique and detailed. This book can appeal to various elementary school grades for different reasons. For example, when I first read this book, I was in kindergarten and I remember really liking the pictures and always talking about them to my parents. As I got older, I reread the book and really liked the story. The message the story conveys is that you should never be ashamed of something you like whether it is lima beans or a certain hobby, which is something that is so important for children to understand. During elementary schools, especially in the upper grades, children are discovering different things that interest them, but sometimes those things may be unique to others and receive negative feedback in return. However, this story does a great job of showing children that if they like something, they should embrace it, not be embarrassed of it.
  amanna2 | Mar 1, 2015 |
To my wife, Heidi; and to my friend and teacher, Philip Hays, a.k.a. “Uncle Legend”
Camilla Cream loved lima beans.

K-Grade 2: Camilla Cream loves lima beans, but she never eats them. Why? Because the other kids in her school don't like them. And Camilla Cream is very, very worried about what other people think of her. In fact, she's so worried that she's about to break out in...a bad case of stripes!"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale.

Let Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experiences-laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!

Eight classic, best-selling titles are available now!

Category: Making Friends
"What we have here is a bad case of stripes. One of the worst I've ever seen!"

"Shannon's story is a good poke in the eye of conformity...and his empathetic, vivid artwork keeps perfect pace with the tale."-Kirkus Reviews, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:36 -0400)

In order to ensure her popularity, Camilla Cream always does what is expected, until the day arrives when she no longer recognizes herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,160,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible