The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes…

The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers (1986)

by Margaret George

The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir (Booksloth)
    Elizabeth I by Margaret George (Nickelini)
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (GT-M)
    GT-M: If interested in the era, Margaret George does a wonderful job in both Autobiography of Henry the VIII and Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles. Not intended as a light read.
    Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (napaxton)
    Mary, Called Magdalene by Margaret George (Booksloth)

English (57)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (59)
I was absolutely in love with this book for the first 300 pages. I simply could not get enough of it. I have never found a novel from Henry VIII's point of view, so it was interesting to see how he 'felt' about his wives and situation. However, I soon tired of it but I was determined to get through it, especially because there are very few accounts (fictional or non) about Jane Seymour, Anne of Cleves, and Katherine Parr. I found this novel to be interesting, but a little bit overdone with some stereotypes. We seem to know little about the details of each of his six wives, but George seemed to stick strictly to the molds of each wife-- the old maid, the witch, the perfect wife, the fat, ugly joke, the whore, and the nurse. I was hoping the author could provide a little more depth to some of the characters. She took liberties with so many things, but couldn't put in her own thoughts about the queens. ( )
  serogers02 | Jun 10, 2017 |
3.75 stars

This is a fictional autobiography of Henry VIII.

It is a very long book, and unfortunately, I was interrupted a couple of times while reading it, so that may affect what I thought. I was a bit disappointed in the first half; maybe I expected too much. I wanted there to be some redeeming factor to Henry and I didn't see it. But, I seemed to enjoy the second half much more. I also quite enjoyed the "notes" by Henry's fool, Will Somers. Will's notes gave an "outsider" perspective to fill in extra things Henry may not have known about, of course, including info about Henry's death and funeral at the end. It was nice to read something about Henry himself, rather than something focusing on his wives, for a change. ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 27, 2016 |
This was the book that jolted my interest in the Royal line of Britain. I went from Henry VIII to learning everything I could about the entire line and it all started with this marvelous work of fiction by Margaret George. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
A doorstopper of a book, full of interesting information. Hard for me to tell how accurate, but seems very plausible. Very readable.
Read Jan 2005 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 30, 2015 |
Exceptionally well told tale of a madman in royal robes. ( )
  nurse73 | Aug 14, 2015 |
For Alison and Paul
My dear Catherine:

I am dying. Or, rather, about to die-there is a slight (though unconsoling) difference.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312194390, Paperback)

Much has been written about the mighty, egotistical Henry VIII: the man who dismantled the Church because it would not grant him the divorce he wanted; who married six women and beheaded two of them; who executed his friend Thomas More; who sacked the monasteries; who longed for a son and neglected his daughters, Mary and Elizabeth; who finally grew fat, disease-ridden, dissolute. Now, in her magnificent work of storytelling and imagination Margaret George bring us Henry VIII's story as he himself might have told it, in memoirs interspersed with irreverent comments from his jester and confident, Will Somers. Brilliantly combining history, wit, dramatic narrative, and an extraordinary grasp of the pleasures and perils of power, this monumental novel shows us Henry the man more vividly than he has ever been seen before.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:05 -0400)

Henry's private journal, in which he lets the reader know how he really felt, is interspersed with irreverent comments from his jester and confidant, Will Somers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,029,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible