Are We There Yet? by David Levithan

Are We There Yet?

by David Levithan

I only got about halfway through the book - which promised to be a character study and and turned out to be more of an ode to Venice. Levithan's ability to create unique language and community seems to have gone on hiatus in this book, as the boys hit all the famous places (and some off the beaten track ons, too), trotting out one awe-inspired cliche after another.

What a disappointment. ( )
  usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |

What a disappointment. ( )
  usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
What I like most about Levithan’s stories is the characters. They are so real, and yet so unique. In this case, two brothers who have grown distant. Levithan knows how to capture what life is. His writing is spot on and relatable. I’m a woman, so I can’t say I can fully relate but I have plenty of siblings and more than enough lost friends who I’ve let distance and time take away from me. Levithan is a pro at bringing the emotions of the book through into very plain focus. He makes you want to do something about those emotions. His prose is beautiful. I didn’t like the book as much as some of his other books, but it was still a great read. ( )
  Kassilem | Apr 20, 2013 |
I generally dig anything Levithan writes. This was no exception, though I didn't want to marry it the way I did some of his books. I loved the oblique way the story of the two semi-estranged brothers unfolded, I loved the odd girl who shows up in the middle of their trip, and the end was perfect. Very enjoyable, indeed. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
It's been a few years ago that I read this and still I can remember one definite feeling this book gave me: wanderlust. I wanted to pack a suitcase and go explore a country I've never been to before.

Furthermore, as I'm a single child, I enjoyed reading about the sibling relationship in this book and I'm really glad that I picked this up! ( )
  HereWithoutYou | Mar 31, 2013 |

Sixteen-year-old Elijah is completely mellow and his 23-year-old brother Danny is completely not, so it's no wonder they can barely tolerate one another. So what better way to repair their broken relationship than to trick them into taking a trip to Italy together? Soon, though, their parents' perfect solution has become Danny and Elijah's nightmare as they're forced to spend countless hours together. But then Elijah meets Julia, and soon the brothers aren't together nearly as much. And when Julia suddenly decides that maybe it's Danny she's really interested in, Danny has a decision to make: does he honor his relationship with the brother he thinks hates him, or does he follow his heart, which sorely needs some repairing of its own?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:09 -0400)

Tricked by their parents into taking a trip to Italy together, two brothers--one in high school and the other recently graduated from college--reflect on the directions of their own lives and on the distance that has grown between them. Sixteen-year-old Elijah is completely mellow and his 23-year-old brother Danny is completely not, so it's no wonder they can barely tolerate one another. So what better way to repair their broken relationship than to trick them into taking a trip to Italy together? Soon, though, their parents' perfect solution has become Danny and Elijah's nightmare as they're forced to spend countless hours together. But then Elijah meets Julia, and soon the brothers aren't together nearly as much. And then Julia meets Danny and soon all three of them are in a mixed-up, turned-around, never-what-you-expect world of brothers, Italy, and love. Are We There Yet? isn't about a place on a map, it's about a place in the heart. David Levithan has written a magical story of a journey definitely worth taking.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,048,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible