As Cool As I Am: A Novel by Pete Fromm

As Cool As I Am: A Novel

by Pete Fromm

This is one of my all-time favorite novels that I have read and re-read countless times since I was 14. It's a classic coming-of-age story about Lucy Diamond, a tomboy girl slowly coming into her own as a woman. Pete Fromm tells the story with such unwavering spirit and sincerity, that the reader often forgets the writer is not a teenage girl, but rather a middle-aged man. A beautiful story recommended for everyone who likes coming-of-age novels. ( )
  AlbinoRhino | Sep 3, 2008 |
This book was recommended to me by a teenager, and although it's not technically a YA book, it is about a relationship between a teenage girl, her absent father, her mother, and her best friend/boyfriend, so it's relevant for mature teens and younger adults, who can make a lot of personal connections between this book and their own lives. Readers follow Lucy's adolescence from her buzz-cut, junior-high days through two sexual relationships, all depicted about as awkwardly and humurously as these things really are. Lucy's mother, a young and lonely mom, is a sympathetic character even though she does atrocious things as she makes the decision to pursue her own happiness during Lucy's later teen years. And many will recognize Lucy's father as the perpetually returning dad who expects the world to stop spinning because he's decided to grace everyone with his rare presence. The family dynamics are genuine, heartfelt, and complex. Although I'm not sure I'd recommend this to just any teen, I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Prep. ( )
  justjess | Aug 27, 2007 |
I loved this book!
Narrated by an adolescent girl -- she tells of coming of age in a funny & sweet way.
-- Barbara
  BaileyCoy | Jul 3, 2007 |

As a teenager pretty much left to raise herself, Lucy Diamond is a narrator with a radiant yet guarded heart. As she races at breakneck pace toward womanhood, everything is at stake for her, producing an urgency and dread that she holds at bay with humor and grace. But while Lucy charges ahead, her mother's youth is fading. Simultaneously embracing and resisting their similarities, Fromm reveals both women's emotional vulnerabilities and their deep mutual need. Conveyed through dialogue that is both laugh-aloud-funny and true, Lucy stands out in contemporary literature for her large heart and inimitable grit.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:18 -0400)

Publisher's description: "As a teenager left to raise herself, Lucy Diamond is a narrator with a radiant yet guarded heart. As she races at breakneck pace toward womanhood, everything is at stake for her, producing an urgency and dread that she holds at bay with humor and grace. But while Lucy charges ahead, her mother's youth is fading, providing a juxtaposition steeped with tension and love. Simultaneously embracing and resisting their similarities, both women's emotional vulnerabilities and their deep need for each other are revealed. Conveyed through dialogue that is both laugh-aloud-funny and true, Lucy stands out in contemporary literature for her large heart and inimitable grit."… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,690,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible