Donuthead by Sue Stauffacher

by Sue Stauffacher

This book portrays Franklin Delano Donuthead as a fearsome, Russian, fifth-grade germophobe. He doesn't have any friends until a new girl arrives at his school--Sarah Kervick. They are forced to be partners during a school field trip. She is nothing like Franklin. She is loud, dirty, and is not afraid of anything. This book shows us how a simple friendship, even between the most unlikely of friends can change each other’s life in ways that don’t seem possible.

Personal Reaction:
I loved this story. Although the traits of Franklin's are a tad more eccentric compared to mine, I found a bit of myself in his character. I was extremely shy as a child, and didn't make friends easily. I think that children could easily relate to the characters in this book, and would enjoy the humor that is brought out by this unlikely friendship.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. I could have the children write a journal entry about a fear they have or have had in the past, and how they can or did get passed that fear.
2. I could use this book to talk to the children about bullying and how having a sense of empathy for others can change someone's life.
  Stacie_Larsen | Oct 29, 2015 |
A chapter book that takes the main character through daily experiences with coping with bullying and building relationships at school. ( )
  kerry.wood | Apr 18, 2013 |
Made me laugh right out loud, and cry,too. I swear Stauffacher wrote this with one of my former students in mind. Teaches that our quirkinesses are what make us great, that we should just be ourselves, and even gives a good dose of empathy for other's issues. A great read for kids or adults who work with pre-adolescents. ( )
  juddds | Aug 18, 2008 |
The book’s title Donuthead is from the character’s name Franklin Delano Donuthead. Franklin is a elementary student who does not worry about what an average kid his age should worry about. He would be described being germ phobic and will not do ANYTHING that has a high statistic rate of getting physically injured including eating anything that is not organic. He doesn’t have any friends until one day he is paired up with a new girl on a school field trip. Sara Kervick is NOTHING like Franklin, she is not afraid of anything, she can beat up anyone that messes with her, and she is dirty. Through out the book Franklin discovers that Sara can’t read, doesn’t have a mother, and dreams of being an ice skater. Franklin’s mother takes in Sara and helps her with her appearance and ends up “working” for his mother so she can buy girl clothes. Franklin and Sara teach each other life lessons, and you wouldn’t think so in the begging since they were complete opposites. Does Franklin change his ways?

This was an awesome book. I LOVED the message, I loved the personalities, and I LOVED Franklin. I could go on about this book, it was humorous and entertaining. My favorite parts were Franklin’s two cents on every unhygienic or physical situation. I would recommend EVERYONE to read it, you will enjoy it! The ending was extra cute!

I would love students to read this book as a class assignment to relay the message of friendships. I would need parent consent because there are TWO little words that might be offensive. I would also have the students make a list of differences of the two friends, then make a comparison, because they are complete opposites but there’s more than meets the eye. ( )
  GI142984 | Mar 2, 2008 |
This is a book about a kid named Donuthead and a gril that showes up thater in the book her named is Sara.Sara and Donuthead are not alike at all. ( )
  evil1000 | Nov 15, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440419344, Paperback)

Franklin Delano Donuthead is a fifth grader with a lot of problems: For starters, his last name is Donuthead. He considers himself handicapped because one arm and leg are shorter than the other (by less than half an inch), his mother is trying to poison him with non-organic foods (like salami), he doesn’t have a father, and Sarah Kervick, the new girl, who’s mean and totally unhygienic, is attached to him, warts and all, like glue.

This is a hilarious and touching novel featuring a neurotic, scared boy and a tougher-than-nails girl who each help the other in more ways than they can imagine. Sue Stauffacher has crafted characters full of wit and sensitivity, with a little anti-bacterial soap thrown in for good measure.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:30 -0400)

Franklin Delano Donuthead, a fifth-grader obsessed with hygiene and safety, finds an unlikely friend and protector in Sarah Kervick, the tough new student who lives in a dirty trailer, bonds with his mother, and is as "irregular" as he is.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,889,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible