Enna Burning by Shannon Hale

Enna Burning (2004)

by Shannon Hale

Series: Books of Bayern (2)

My review just got eaten, so here's take two. I did not particularly feel the need to read on after The Goose Girl, a satisfactory book in itself, but because I like Enna and I trust Hale, and I saw the copy in my library, I went for it. It was a good choice; Hale has yet to disappoint me with her novels. The first fifty pages or so, the pacing could be better and I am plodding along, perhaps one or two chapters at a time, though it is always a treat, because her writing is so simple and elegant, with imagery and details that never feel burdensome. But once I cross that threshold, I want to speed through the whole novel in one sitting--and though I usually do not, I certainly want to.

In other words: pacing may not be Hale's strongest suit, but she has many others that more than make up for it. Her genuine, likeable, well-intentioned characters always warm my heart and capture me. Enna is a lovely example of a headstrong character written well, such that we get to enjoy the stark rewards and painful failures that accompany one more prone to risk-taking than Isi, for example; yet in reading this book, I could not help reflecting back on The Goose Girl, not without renewed admiration for Hale's skill in writing and fleshing out a personality type like Isi's, so often passed over for protagonists today because it initially seems so much weaker and less interesting.

As for the romance: it worked, and though less neat than the romance in The Goose Girl, it undeniably made more sense for Enna's personality. I had already loved Finn in The Goose Girl, though I resigned myself early on to the fact that he and Isi probably wouldn't be a good match (who would talk?), but when he reappeared in Enna Burning, I immediately hoped the best for him. When Sileph appeared, I felt an inward groaning as I imagined a horrific love triangle coming into play, and formerly strong-willed Enna being a helpless victim of Stockholm syndrome, but I should have trusted Hale. She shows Enna making real mistakes, being genuinely confused, and yet coming out all right in the end and discovering what matters and what constitutes trustworthiness and love. In other words, it was simple and understated, as is Hale's style and my preference, but it also showed genuine conflict. It was a love triangle where it wasn't obvious who would win out, and cutting one person out wasn't a clean and easy break. I still found myself happy with how it ended

Readers of The Goose Girl will also be happy to note that Finn, Razo, and Isi all play significant roles in the book. I find that companion novels I've read usually don't feature the characters from the earlier novel as much, and sometimes that makes the most sense; but I was quite happy with how Hale developed a story that included them in a reasonable and delightful way, one keeping well with lasting friendship.

Hale also deals with universal themes like love, family, friendship, betrayal, and war--more mature themes, I felt, than in The Goose Girl, but always handled deftly and tactfully. Though by no means my new favorite Hale novel, it was still wonderfully crafted and a pleasure to read. ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
WOW.. that was great! It was as good as the first one, The Goose Girl.
I love a mix of everything. :D
Sure is one of my most fun reads! ( )
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
I found it hard to connect with Enna and her pyro antics, even though I tried to feel, it just didnt click with me.Too much fire stuff!
Interesting story but I didnt really feel Enna's personality shone as it pretty much was her dealing with fire and it taking her over.
to enjoy a book I have to like the characters..and I did up to a point.
I think the most interesting part was when she was captured and Sileph or whatever his name manipulated her.
Also her friendship with Isi was a good part, it was lovely how they worked their magic together. ( )
1 vote JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
This second book in the series shifts its focus to a (secondary) character from Book 1 (The Goose Girl). In this book, the character develops the ability to harness the power of fire. She aims to not to use it for harm, but can good intentions prevail, or will the scorching flame consume its host? ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
Companion novel to The Goose Girl, with a focus on Enna, Isi's best friend. Two years after the events of the first book, Enna has discovered the power to control fire. At first she uses it to aid Bayern in a war against the neighboring country of Tira, but as she grows in power she feels overpowered by it. She and Isi go together to a kingdom in the south to find a way to control their powers.

I liked the characters in the first book and it was nice to see how things had changed with them after two years, but since they had grown apart, it created a number of subplots that felt disconnected most of the time. It felt like the war with Tira was just a big distraction to throw at the characters while things got worse with Enna's powers, and they only got back to finding a solution to that near the very end. Then the last subplot to be tied up is Isi's, so the focus isn't even on the main character in the end. Each part by itself was okay, but together it was a mess. ( )
  DeweyEver | Apr 22, 2014 |
Hale has a deft touch with her prose and characterization. The story is fast-paced and satisfying, and I especially liked how she was
able to depict the ability to speak with the elements as both a wondrous thing and a terrible, soul-destroying power.
added by Katya0133 | editFantasy & Science Fiction, Charles De Lint (Jan 1, 2005)
[T]his novel’s pulsing heart lies in rich writing and sharply drawn characters, elements that will be devoured by genre fans just like kindling beneath flames.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Jennifer Mattson (Sep 15, 2004)
Powerful and romantic.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews (Sep 1, 2004)
With a richly detailed setting, eloquent descriptions, a complex plot, a large cast of characters, and romance, this high fantasy will be welcomed both by fans of The Goose Girl and those who have yet to discover it.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Connie Tyrrell Burns (Sep 1, 2004)

Shannon Haleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baker, David AaronCast Member (audio)main authorsome editionsconfirmed
Adams, HollyCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Baker, DavidCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bishop, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bostick, DanielDirector, producer, & cast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brackett, JohnCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voorheis, MattieCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wahlberg, AdamCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walsh, RyanCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Bryner sisters
(perhaps you've heard of us)
Melissa, Katie & Jessica
(Prologue) The woman bore a scorch mark from her chin to her brow.

Enna and Princess Ani became fast friends in "The Goose Girl", but now that Ani is married to Prince Geric, Enna returns to the forest. Then Enna's simple life changes forever when she learns of her power to wield fire. Enna is convinced that she can use her ability for good - to fight Tira, the kingdom threatening the Bayern borders. But the power of the fire grows stronger and she is soon barely able to control it. Enna becomes more and more reckless and is captured by the Tiran army. A handsome and manipulative young captain drugs and holds Enna prisoner until Ani and her old friends, Finn and Razo, attempt to free her. But has the desire to burn already gone too far?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:37 -0400)

Enna hopes that her new knowledge of how to wield fire will help protect her good friend Isi--the Princess Anidori--and all of Bayern against their enemies, but the need to burn is uncontrollable and puts Enna and her loved ones in grave danger.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,884,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible