Friction

by E. R. Frank

When a new girl at the private school Alex attends starts rumors about Alex's favorite teacher, Alex and her eighth-grade classmates are not sure how to act around him or with each other.

The writing style got on my nerves... it was very juvenile. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
I liked the book.

Was different with a nice angle also stuffed with important life lessons

**** Stars :) ( )
  SnowBookHollow | Apr 13, 2016 |
New girl Stacy begins spreading rumors about the friendship between Alex and Alex's beloved teacher Simon, and soon other kids begin to believe Stacy's hype. Stacy's manipulations cloud Alex's own feelings about Simon, leading to palpable feelings of agony and guilt when things fall apart. As Alex writes in a letter to Simon, "I feel so bad because I wasn't smart enough to know that you'd never hurt anyone..." E.R. Frank writes about hurt and regret in a very tangible way.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
The author of America looks at another hardhitting issue - sexual molestation. The new girl at Forest Alternative School accuses Simon, the seemingly flawless and hip young teacher, of inproprieties with Alex, the only female soccer player on the school team. Appropriate teacher/student behavior is scrutinized, with not much good coming out by the end of the book. Very believable situation, with a young teacher, perhaps inadvertantly, demonstrating some questionable practices in today's era of heightened sensitivities. ( )
  mnlohman | Sep 27, 2010 |
I truely enjoyed Friction, and it is a great novel to read. Remembering, telling to truth can save your life; literally.

This book was about the complications of love, truth, and friendship. Alex befriends the new girl, Stacy, who causes nothing but trouble. She really pushes it though when she says stuff about Simon (the coolest teacher at Alternative) and Alex having sexual activities. The whole thing though ends in an horrible tragedy with Stacy up and leaving out of no where, and Alex finds out that Stacy was being sexual abused by her father. Its an excellent novel stating the importance of telling the truth, no matter how much it hurts.

This book would be great for anyone who is curious to know about how a child reacts to being sexually abused or to anyone who wants to enjoy a good book. I would suggest though that a mature person reads this, so 15+. I would also like to say that child abuse and sexual abuse should not be tolerated within any circumstances, and that it is reported even with the slightest suspicion of either occuring.
  EliSparkie | Mar 16, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,815,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible