I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

I Am the Messenger

by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (rosylibrarian)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Australian author and storyline
    Wizard of the Pigeons by Megan Lindholm (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Not alike in storyline, but both somewhat unusual with memorable main characters.
    Going Nowhere Faster by Sean Beaudoin (meggyweg)

English (252)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All (268)
Ed Kennedy, Ed Kennedy. I daresay that I love Ed Kennedy. He is so amazing and doesn't even realize it. There is seriously nothing more attractive. The narration throughout the tale is sure to provide a laugh or two and maybe the occasional swoon. His ordinary life is turned upside down during a bank robbery gone wrong. He randomly starts receiving playing cards in the mail with addresses, clues, etc. It’s up to him to figure out how he can help each person.
I am the kind of person who is always thinking about trying to help others more than I currently do, but I never quite know who needs help and who doesn’t. I end up feeling like I am bothering someone. Ed is given this chance where he knows exactly who needs his help. Part of me wishes that I too would randomly start receiving cards like this. It would certainly make things easier. In the beginning Ed is following the cards because he thinks that if he doesn’t he will be killed. However, I feel like his perspective changes as the novel goes on. He starts to really care about the people around him and his little life becomes so full and rich.
I loved this book and I would recommend it to anyone! It really makes you stop and think a little more about the world around you.
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
3.25 out of 5 stars.
I am not entirely sure what I was expecting from this novel when I went into it. I wanted to read another Zusak's book, and the blurb really caught my attention, so I picked this one. Heck, I didn't even notice it was a yellow cab on the front cover until I started reading and found out that main character is a cab driver. I need stronger glasses apparently.

In "I am the messenger" we have an array of amazing characters:
-Ed Kennedy, main character, who is an underage cab driver, with no life ambitions, or accomplishment. He is also lousy at sex (he says so himself)! In the course of the book we see Ed become a pawn in some type of a game, which makes him a "messenger". The messages he has to deliver are all quite different from one another, but my favorite ones were the ones he had to deliver to Sophie, Milla, Marv and polonesian family (if you read the book already you will know what I am talking about).
-Doorman. An amazing character, he is not what his name implies he is. He loves coffee. With lots of sugar and cream:) I enjoyed Doorman a lot.
- Ed's three best friends: Marv (who is an anger driven cheapskate), Ritchie (who does NOTHING, literally) and Audrey (who would sleep with everything and everybody, except Ed). Despite their harsh characteristics they are all quite lovable.
- There is also Ed's mum, who is the nicest person ever (heavy sarcasm).

The whole book we see Ed "play" the game that he somehow ended up in. All he has for clues are playing cards with barely a few words on them. A very interesting concept I would say. Some of the clues were quite brilliant, some other ones came way too easy to him.
"I am the messenger" is full of heartfelt situations, great humor and raw, everyday truths. Zusak's writing is quite phenomenal. It pulls you in, and keeps you engaged...till about last 20 pages. Because those last 20 pages ruined everything for me.

The whole book is worth 5 solid stars, the last couple of chapters were a 1 little lonely star. Maybe I missed the whole big picture, or maybe I missed the actual message of the book. I don't know. But I feel like the book could have ended a couple of chapters earlier, and it would have been amazing then. ( )
  bookandsword | Apr 27, 2017 |
I have really mixed feelings on this book. Definitely not for kids in my view but it kept me intrigued enough that I finished it. Mixed ethics and morality will make most people uncomfortable, I suspect. ( )
  kallai7 | Mar 23, 2017 |
I am looking forward to this one. I know it can't possibly beat Book Thief, but same author. Can't be bad.

Finished! I really liked this book. This author is amazing. The first chapter made me about pee my pants. Then it totally turned and became this really deep, multi-layered book. I can't wait to read others from this guy. ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
A young man stops a bank robbery and ends up becoming the unwilling messenger when he receives playing cards with clues to his missions. Pretty good story, a bit beyond reality, and the ending seemed to me to be loosely put together. ( )
  addunn3 | Jan 26, 2017 |

dig deep through the spades

feel the hearts
For Scout
The gunman is useless.
It feels like the mornings clap their hands.
To make me wake. [75]
Originally published as "The Messenger" in Australia.

Nineteen-year-old Ed Kennedy is the epitome of pathetic mediocrity. He drives a cab, lives in a run-down shack with his malodorous dog, and plays cards with his friends Ritchie, Marv and Audrey. His life is completely devoid of purpose or significance – until he manages to foil a botched bank robbery, and someone, somewhere, decides that it’s time for Ed to become the messenger. Guided by playing cards left in his mailbox, he must venture from his shack to help people the rest of the world has abandoned. Not all of Ed’s tasks are easy, however, and the true purpose of his messages may be more than it seems.

protect the diamonds
survive the clubs
dig deep through the spades
feel the hearts

Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.

That's when the first ace arrives in the mail.

That's when Ed becomes the messenger.

Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary) until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?
A 2005 Michael L. Printz Honor Book and recipient of five starred reviews, I Am the Messenger is a cryptic journey filled with laughter, fists, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:08 -0400)

Ed Kennedy is a nineteen-year-old cab driver who doesn't think much of his life. He inadvertently helps stop a bank robbery, and that is when his life starts to change. He begins to receive mysterious messages that instruct him to go to addresses where people need help. Ed becomes the messenger, but who is behind the messages? Meet Ed Kennedy - underage cabdriver, pathetic cardplayer, and useless at romance. He lives in a shack with his coffee-addicted dog, the Doorman, and he's hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence, until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery. That's when the first Ace arrives. That's when Ed becomes the messenger. Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary), until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,175,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible