I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

I Am the Messenger

by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (rosylibrarian)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Australian author and storyline
    Wizard of the Pigeons by Robin Hobb (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Not alike in storyline, but both somewhat unusual with memorable main characters.
    Going Nowhere Faster by Sean Beaudoin (meggyweg)

English (210)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (225)
You know all those quotes they print on the back of a book? "Engaging and hilarious!" "Poignant and laugh out loud funny!" and so on? I looked at them about half way through this book and I thought, "Oh my goodness, that's all true!" It was a very enjoyable read. The relaxed and conversational writing style kept things moving at a quick pace; no exhaustive descriptions a la The Goldfinch here (I didn't mind them, but my book club did). And if you figure out what really and truly happened...please drop me a line!! ( )
  MaureenCean | Apr 11, 2015 |
This was an awesome book. I didn't really know what I was getting myself into when I picked it up, only that I'd heard it was good. It was. I loved how Ed started out as an ordinary human being, just living his normal monotonous life and then begins to pay attention to people and to care about people. It was so charming to read about him doing tiny little things for people that just made their day. it makes you want to emulate him. Which I think was the whole point of the book. I don't know if Zusak is a British author but the book certainly had a British feel due to the jargon; letterbox instead of mailbox, telly instead of television, etc. And I'm not sure if it was the British influence or not, but there was some awesome humor in her. Not a lot of laugh out loud humor but a ... British humor is all I can say to describe it and British humor is really growing on me. Anyways, I highly recommend this book. It was great and I'm very glad I picked it up. ( )
  Kassilem | Apr 3, 2015 |
READ IN DUTCH

I was really looking forward to reading this book, as I am a great fan of Zusak's book The Book Thief (probably my all time favorite for the time being). Therefore I expected a lot from this one as well, surely as I heard very positive stories about I am the Messenger.

Unfortunately I was a little bit disappointed by the story. It definitely wasn't bad, but I missed the wonderful touch I felt in The Book Thief. Perhaps it was due to the translation, but I couldn't find as many beautiful sentences as I did reading The Book Thief.
Probably I am comparing thing far too much, but it is hard not to.
There were some parts though that I thought were really good, but the end was not as I had hoped and *SPOILER ALERT* resembled Sophie's World (Jostein Gaardner). I wasn't a fan of that ending either. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
I came to this book because I loved "The Book Thief", so I didn't bother to read what it was about, instead preferring that I find out in due course as the author intends. This book is an entirely different read, but has some of the elements I enjoyed so much from "The Book Thief". The characters are gritty and human with imperfections, even when the plot is manufactured. But the way he writes with so much attention to the words and the pace, rather than just the plot means that some lines just stick with you. Inanimate objects seem to have intentions, and the emotions he writes of seem tangible.
The most exciting thing to happen to Ed and his friends, is usually the regular card games at someone or another's house. That is until he finds himself the unlikely hero in a bungled bank robbery, and receives an Ace of Diamonds in the mail, with three addresses written on it. While the book is classed as a Mystery, I felt the importance of the book was more in the way Ed reacts to the challenges that are presented to him. I think the ending, (which I had to read twice before I really "got" it) confirms this. The device was almost used as a misdirection to steer you back to the point. ( )
1 vote Karyn_Ainsworth | Dec 29, 2014 |
Really wonderful book with a good intentions. Some mentions of sex, but almost always in the context of a loving relationship -- and nothing graphic. Also has some alcohol and violence -- again, nothing graphic or gratuitous -- fine for sixth grade on up. ( )
  amydelpo | Dec 9, 2014 |

dig deep through the spades

feel the hearts
For Scout
The gunman is useless.
It feels like the mornings clap their hands.
To make me wake. [75]
Originally published as "The Messenger" in Australia.

Nineteen-year-old Ed Kennedy is the epitome of pathetic mediocrity. He drives a cab, lives in a run-down shack with his malodorous dog, and plays cards with his friends Ritchie, Marv and Audrey. His life is completely devoid of purpose or significance – until he manages to foil a botched bank robbery, and someone, somewhere, decides that it’s time for Ed to become the messenger. Guided by playing cards left in his mailbox, he must venture from his shack to help people the rest of the world has abandoned. Not all of Ed’s tasks are easy, however, and the true purpose of his messages may be more than it seems.

protect the diamonds
survive the clubs
dig deep through the spades
feel the hearts

Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.

That's when the first ace arrives in the mail.

That's when Ed becomes the messenger.

Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary) until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?
A 2005 Michael L. Printz Honor Book and recipient of five starred reviews, I Am the Messenger is a cryptic journey filled with laughter, fists, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:27 -0400)

Ed Kennedy is a nineteen-year-old cab driver who doesn't think much of his life. He inadvertently helps stop a bank robbery, and that is when his life starts to change. He begins to receive mysterious messages that instruct him to go to addresses where people need help. Ed becomes the messenger, but who is behind the messages? Meet Ed Kennedy - underage cabdriver, pathetic cardplayer, and useless at romance. He lives in a shack with his coffee-addicted dog, the Doorman, and he's hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence, until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery. That's when the first Ace arrives. That's when Ed becomes the messenger. Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary), until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,702,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible