I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

I Am the Messenger

by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (rosylibrarian)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Australian author and storyline
    Wizard of the Pigeons by Robin Hobb (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Not alike in storyline, but both somewhat unusual with memorable main characters.
    Going Nowhere Faster by Sean Beaudoin (meggyweg)

English (213)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (228)
Awesome, awesome book. I loved how straightforward it was, how each character was so well thought out... I just really enjoyed the whole thing.
My full review is here, on Hot Stuff for Cool People. ( )
  hotforcool | May 31, 2015 |
Five stars to the beginning of I Am the Messenger. The middle is variable, and at times tedious. The end feels forced and overly convenient. But where this book is good, it is superb. The most interesting way to read this book is with a "meta" approach, looking at the craftsmanship. Attacking it at this angle may also help increase reader satisfaction with the ending, in my opinion. ( )
  Matt.Heger | May 30, 2015 |
Following mysterious messages he receives on playing cards, an ordinary nineteen-year-old is obliged to become a good samaritan. But who is sending the messages, and why? With appealing characters, down to earth language, and an intriguing puzzle, this story captures the reader's attention from the first page to the last. Although classified as a young adult novel, it can be enjoyed by any adult. ( )
  VivienneR | May 1, 2015 |
You know all those quotes they print on the back of a book? "Engaging and hilarious!" "Poignant and laugh out loud funny!" and so on? I looked at them about half way through this book and I thought, "Oh my goodness, that's all true!" It was a very enjoyable read. The relaxed and conversational writing style kept things moving at a quick pace; no exhaustive descriptions a la The Goldfinch here (I didn't mind them, but my book club did). And if you figure out what really and truly happened...please drop me a line!! ( )
  MaureenCean | Apr 11, 2015 |
This was an awesome book. I didn't really know what I was getting myself into when I picked it up, only that I'd heard it was good. It was. I loved how Ed started out as an ordinary human being, just living his normal monotonous life and then begins to pay attention to people and to care about people. It was so charming to read about him doing tiny little things for people that just made their day. it makes you want to emulate him. Which I think was the whole point of the book. I don't know if Zusak is a British author but the book certainly had a British feel due to the jargon; letterbox instead of mailbox, telly instead of television, etc. And I'm not sure if it was the British influence or not, but there was some awesome humor in her. Not a lot of laugh out loud humor but a ... British humor is all I can say to describe it and British humor is really growing on me. Anyways, I highly recommend this book. It was great and I'm very glad I picked it up. ( )
  Kassilem | Apr 3, 2015 |

dig deep through the spades

feel the hearts
For Scout
The gunman is useless.
It feels like the mornings clap their hands.
To make me wake. [75]
Originally published as "The Messenger" in Australia.

Nineteen-year-old Ed Kennedy is the epitome of pathetic mediocrity. He drives a cab, lives in a run-down shack with his malodorous dog, and plays cards with his friends Ritchie, Marv and Audrey. His life is completely devoid of purpose or significance – until he manages to foil a botched bank robbery, and someone, somewhere, decides that it’s time for Ed to become the messenger. Guided by playing cards left in his mailbox, he must venture from his shack to help people the rest of the world has abandoned. Not all of Ed’s tasks are easy, however, and the true purpose of his messages may be more than it seems.

protect the diamonds
survive the clubs
dig deep through the spades
feel the hearts

Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.

That's when the first ace arrives in the mail.

That's when Ed becomes the messenger.

Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary) until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?
A 2005 Michael L. Printz Honor Book and recipient of five starred reviews, I Am the Messenger is a cryptic journey filled with laughter, fists, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:27 -0400)

Ed Kennedy is a nineteen-year-old cab driver who doesn't think much of his life. He inadvertently helps stop a bank robbery, and that is when his life starts to change. He begins to receive mysterious messages that instruct him to go to addresses where people need help. Ed becomes the messenger, but who is behind the messages? Meet Ed Kennedy - underage cabdriver, pathetic cardplayer, and useless at romance. He lives in a shack with his coffee-addicted dog, the Doorman, and he's hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence, until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery. That's when the first Ace arrives. That's when Ed becomes the messenger. Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary), until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,851,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible