I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

I Am the Messenger

by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (rosylibrarian)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Australian author and storyline
    Wizard of the Pigeons by Robin Hobb (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Not alike in storyline, but both somewhat unusual with memorable main characters.
    Going Nowhere Faster by Sean Beaudoin (meggyweg)

English (216)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (231)
Congratulations Markus Zusak! Another great story from such a talented writer. It starts with a bank robbery by a seemingly incompetent robber, foiled by Ed Kennedy,general under achiever in most areas of his life and owner of an aged, smelly dog called The Doorman. Ed stumbles his way, reluctantly at times, to complete the tasks set for him. He doesn't know why he has been chosen or by whom. He just knows he has to follow up the words written on the four aces delivered to him.
Markus Zuzak is superb at evoking feeling with his words...
"The fear has tied itself around my feet and I know there's nothing I can do........If I try to move, I will trip over it".
"My heartbeat doubles. It tangles up inside".
Easy to read, and hard to put down.

I just wanted to keep reading. ( )
  PriscillaM | Jul 30, 2015 |
Once again Markus Zusak wrote a great book that messed with my mind!!!
So I had some problems getting into this book. I read around the first third and then set it down for 2 weeks. I don't know why I just wasn't in the mood for the story. But then I picked it back up and finished it in one night. I love it. I think the story is beautiful. Ed, the man who starts receiving these cards, starts to see the beauty in others and in life.
My favorite was the family he gave new lights to. It shows just how simply you can impact others. And that is the same case with the ice cream cone. Ed did such simple acts, but they had such an impact on those people. I think it just shows how important being good to each is.

*******Spoiler*******
[ The ending was interesting. I am unsure if I wanted him to leave the cards a surprise or say who was sending the cards. It is revealed that is is Markus Zusak who is the one sending him the cards. I think it plays along into the theme. Like Ed not only impacted these people but he impacted us, he left something with the reader. That his story was the message meant for us. I like it because that is reading. Reading is ending a book with gaining something, and that is always different. But at the end of every story there is a message and the book is the messenger.] ( )
1 vote baileymm | Jul 19, 2015 |
Generally when I hear a novel described as "uplifting", I'm immediately wary. That descriptor tends to show up in saccharine inspirational novels or Christian manifestos, neither of which is usually known for their superb writing style. That said, I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak is definitely uplifting.

Ed Kennedy, a 19-year-old cab driver with three best friends (also cab drivers), finds his life changed when he catches a bank robber and becomes a 15-minute hero. Shortly after, he finds himself receiving a playing card inscribed with three addresses in the mail. Curious, he investigates, and finds himself embarking on a mission - and to try and find out who the mysterious sender of the messages is.

With a slow build and some genuinely heartwarming parts, this novel isn't about grand gestures or heroism, and that's kind of the point. The tasks that Ed completes are little gestures that go a long way, and how profoundly they change his life. The mission takes Ed on a route of personal growth and discovery and he finds himself with a new purpose in life.

I love task missions, and I'm a sucker for sweet stories, and this book is the best of both. Ed isn't a bad guy, but he's definitely not ambitious or super intelligent, either. My only quibble is that for a person who claims to have read as much as he has, he doesn't recognize Sylvia Plath's name immediately? But that's a minor incident in what is, overall, an uplifting and moving novel about how the little things can mean the most. ( )
  kittyjay | Jul 18, 2015 |
An enjoyable read. But if you only read one book by this author, it should definitely be "The Book Thief" -- that one was stellar. ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |
Awesome, awesome book. I loved how straightforward it was, how each character was so well thought out... I just really enjoyed the whole thing.
My full review is here, on Hot Stuff for Cool People. ( )
  hotforcool | May 31, 2015 |

dig deep through the spades

feel the hearts
For Scout
The gunman is useless.
It feels like the mornings clap their hands.
To make me wake. [75]
Originally published as "The Messenger" in Australia.

Nineteen-year-old Ed Kennedy is the epitome of pathetic mediocrity. He drives a cab, lives in a run-down shack with his malodorous dog, and plays cards with his friends Ritchie, Marv and Audrey. His life is completely devoid of purpose or significance – until he manages to foil a botched bank robbery, and someone, somewhere, decides that it’s time for Ed to become the messenger. Guided by playing cards left in his mailbox, he must venture from his shack to help people the rest of the world has abandoned. Not all of Ed’s tasks are easy, however, and the true purpose of his messages may be more than it seems.

protect the diamonds
survive the clubs
dig deep through the spades
feel the hearts

Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.

That's when the first ace arrives in the mail.

That's when Ed becomes the messenger.

Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary) until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?
A 2005 Michael L. Printz Honor Book and recipient of five starred reviews, I Am the Messenger is a cryptic journey filled with laughter, fists, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:08 -0400)

Ed Kennedy is a nineteen-year-old cab driver who doesn't think much of his life. He inadvertently helps stop a bank robbery, and that is when his life starts to change. He begins to receive mysterious messages that instruct him to go to addresses where people need help. Ed becomes the messenger, but who is behind the messages? Meet Ed Kennedy - underage cabdriver, pathetic cardplayer, and useless at romance. He lives in a shack with his coffee-addicted dog, the Doorman, and he's hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence, until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery. That's when the first Ace arrives. That's when Ed becomes the messenger. Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary), until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,497,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible