I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

I Am the Messenger

by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (rosylibrarian)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Australian author and storyline
    Wizard of the Pigeons by Megan Lindholm (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Not alike in storyline, but both somewhat unusual with memorable main characters.
    Going Nowhere Faster by Sean Beaudoin (meggyweg)

English (246)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All (262)
I really enjoyed reading this, but the ending was a little weird and off. ( )
  csoki637 | Nov 27, 2016 |
This was a Santathing book from a few years ago that I finally sat down to read.

First - I like the story. Ed is guy who is just coasting through life - he's got a few friends, a job as a taxi cab driver. He has no aspirations, no though on what what he wants to do. After stopping a bank robber, he gets a mysterious playing card in the mail. It has three addresses and times. No other information. When he does act on the card's information - it brings him into a world where he has to care.

I liked the book. Its well written - Ed is a character who readers will empathize with, everybody has choices between doing nothing and doing something. This type of story can be over done, but Zusak keeps his characters on point, and always human. The book is also funny - the situations that to complete the mission are sometimes absurd - but also sad. The elderly lady who just needs some company, or the story of the wife with an abusive husband, they all tell a story that is greater than its parts. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Nov 5, 2016 |
Ho adorato ogni pagina, dalla prima all'ultima.
Markus Zusak è diventato repentinamente uno dei miei autori preferiti e "Il Messaggero" ha scalato altrettanto in fretta la graduatoria degli amori della mia vita, facendomi anche piangere a tratti, di tenerezza e rimpianto.
Spero di avere la possibilità di avere tra le mani qualche altra sua opera!!! ( )
  Crissy8686 | Oct 6, 2016 |
4.5 / 5 ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
I read this book years ago, in high school.

I hadn't read The Book Thief and I was interested to read one of his lesser-known books. I thought it was readable, and I was waiting for it to pick up or to build to something greater, but it didn't really. I liked it but I thought the book just felt a little bit flat to me.

Since then, I have read The Book Thief and I have to say I think that's the stronger of his works. I really didn't connect with the main protagonist at the time and I don't remember him very much at all now.

Such a shame because I know he can do great things, but this just wasn't the book for me. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |

dig deep through the spades

feel the hearts
For Scout
The gunman is useless.
It feels like the mornings clap their hands.
To make me wake. [75]
Originally published as "The Messenger" in Australia.

Nineteen-year-old Ed Kennedy is the epitome of pathetic mediocrity. He drives a cab, lives in a run-down shack with his malodorous dog, and plays cards with his friends Ritchie, Marv and Audrey. His life is completely devoid of purpose or significance – until he manages to foil a botched bank robbery, and someone, somewhere, decides that it’s time for Ed to become the messenger. Guided by playing cards left in his mailbox, he must venture from his shack to help people the rest of the world has abandoned. Not all of Ed’s tasks are easy, however, and the true purpose of his messages may be more than it seems.

protect the diamonds
survive the clubs
dig deep through the spades
feel the hearts

Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.

That's when the first ace arrives in the mail.

That's when Ed becomes the messenger.

Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary) until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?
A 2005 Michael L. Printz Honor Book and recipient of five starred reviews, I Am the Messenger is a cryptic journey filled with laughter, fists, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:08 -0400)

Ed Kennedy is a nineteen-year-old cab driver who doesn't think much of his life. He inadvertently helps stop a bank robbery, and that is when his life starts to change. He begins to receive mysterious messages that instruct him to go to addresses where people need help. Ed becomes the messenger, but who is behind the messages? Meet Ed Kennedy - underage cabdriver, pathetic cardplayer, and useless at romance. He lives in a shack with his coffee-addicted dog, the Doorman, and he's hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence, until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery. That's when the first Ace arrives. That's when Ed becomes the messenger. Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary), until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,749,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible