The Messenger by Markus Zusak

The Messenger (edition 2009)

by Markus Zusak

Member:starsofantarctica
Title:The Messenger
Authors:Markus Zusak
Info:Picador (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (rosylibrarian)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Australian author and storyline
    Wizard of the Pigeons by Megan Lindholm (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Not alike in storyline, but both somewhat unusual with memorable main characters.
    Going Nowhere Faster by Sean Beaudoin (meggyweg)

English (269)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (285)
I didn't enjoy this book at all. Too much everyday mysticism for me. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
I read the book before The Book Thief. While the books are very different, I am wondering if I went back and re read Messenger would I find more subtle similarities/
Zusak is great. ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
Not as brilliant as The Book Thief, but an earlier work, and a much easier read. Still has a nice thought provoking message. ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
I got this book from the library, just because I got the cover. I didn't see who wrote it or what it's called. After I finished the last page, and read the author's biography, I realised it's the author of The Book Thief, a book I have bought and adore. Then I realised why I loved the main character. He reminds a lot to the boy I love, and Audrey resembles on me. What I loved the most about this book was the message the boy gives to all those people, and for no particular reason. I loved the symbolism with the aces. Perfect book. I even enjoyed it more then the book thief. Thank you, Markus, for making me think about becoming a better person. Great job ♥ ( )
  InnahLovesYou | May 2, 2018 |
This would have been truly astounding if it weren't for the insanely weak ending. As I approached the end, I couldn't think of any way the book could end in a satisfying way. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that *no* proper ending would have been the most satisfying way to finish it off. Instead, we got a lackluster "Return of the King" it-keeps-not-ending ending. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 6, 2018 |

dig deep through the spades

feel the hearts
For Scout
The gunman is useless.
It feels like the mornings clap their hands.
To make me wake. [75]
Originally published as "The Messenger" in Australia.

Nineteen-year-old Ed Kennedy is the epitome of pathetic mediocrity. He drives a cab, lives in a run-down shack with his malodorous dog, and plays cards with his friends Ritchie, Marv and Audrey. His life is completely devoid of purpose or significance – until he manages to foil a botched bank robbery, and someone, somewhere, decides that it’s time for Ed to become the messenger. Guided by playing cards left in his mailbox, he must venture from his shack to help people the rest of the world has abandoned. Not all of Ed’s tasks are easy, however, and the true purpose of his messages may be more than it seems.

protect the diamonds
survive the clubs
dig deep through the spades
feel the hearts

Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.

That's when the first ace arrives in the mail.

That's when Ed becomes the messenger.

Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary) until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?
A 2005 Michael L. Printz Honor Book and recipient of five starred reviews, I Am the Messenger is a cryptic journey filled with laughter, fists, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:08 -0400)

After capturing a bank robber, nineteen-year-old cab driver Ed Kennedy begins receiving mysterious messages that direct him to addresses where people need help, and he begins getting over his lifelong feeling of worthlessness.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,801,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible