The Messenger by Markus Zusak

The Messenger (edition 2009)

by Markus Zusak

Member:starsofantarctica
Title:The Messenger
Authors:Markus Zusak
Info:Picador (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (rosylibrarian)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Australian author and storyline
    Wizard of the Pigeons by Megan Lindholm (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Not alike in storyline, but both somewhat unusual with memorable main characters.
    Going Nowhere Faster by Sean Beaudoin (meggyweg)

English (279)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (2)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (296)
I got this book from the library, just because I got the cover. I didn't see who wrote it or what it's called. After I finished the last page, and read the author's biography, I realised it's the author of The Book Thief, a book I have bought and adore. Then I realised why I loved the main character. He reminds a lot to the boy I love, and Audrey resembles on me. What I loved the most about this book was the message the boy gives to all those people, and for no particular reason. I loved the symbolism with the aces. Perfect book. I even enjoyed it more then the book thief. Thank you, Markus, for making me think about becoming a better person. Great job ♥ ( )
  InnahLovesYou | Apr 18, 2019 |
I loved the ride! It is amazing when a book makes you want to suspend your belief in reality and live in their world! Mr Zusak has an amazing ability to add fairy tales to dark lands. Life doesn't seem to be easy for any of his characters, but in the end it'll be okay because just one person can make a differance. There is real pain to be had and life won't be roses in the end, but you'll be richer for having been there! This book is one of those books that make you want to be the changer of lives ( )
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
This starts out interestingly enough but it quickly plays itself out. The structure of the book is so obvious it ruins any suspense the, admittedly, clever plot has. The only reason I stuck through to the ending was the hope that the author wouldn't come through with the neat and tidy ending he's been aiming at the whole time.

But he does, and, God help us, he goes meta too. Oh wow, man; like, he's not only the messenger, he's the message. Far out.

I'm totally inspired to creep in the shrubbery outside people's homes and give them the exact, trite metaphor their lives have been lacking. Either that, or just kick the shit out of them. Whatever's easier.

I'd actually read two-thirds of this a few years ago but put it down for reasons I can only ascribe to as having better judgement. But seeing it on the shelf at work and not knowing the ending tickled my conscience enough for me to give it another go.

I was going to give this two stars, because the idea is clever and any book that at least attempts to argue against complacency is worthwhile. Except the more I think about it, this book isn't even trying to do that. If it says anything, all it says is that ordinary people will do just about anything under duress. Oops, sorry. Duress is too soft of a term. Try "with a gun to their head." Profound, right?

If only Zusak had come up with a way to tie his story together that wasn't so...stupid. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
A book completely different from The Book Thief; not just in the story, but the writing style as well.
Ed doen't have much of a life and after he stops a bungled bank robbery the would be robber threatens him and his life becomes...um, interestingly different.
His life before the robbery consisted of: driving a taxi, playing cards and drinking with loser friends and living with a smelly dog.
Oh yes, and his mother thinks he'll end up just like his father, who was an alcoholic.
But after the robbery, he starts receiving playing cards in his mail box with messages in code on them. When he tries to ignore them or doesn't follow through quite right, he receives threatening phone calls or worse.

VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |

dig deep through the spades

feel the hearts
For Scout
The gunman is useless.
It feels like the mornings clap their hands.
To make me wake. [75]
Originally published as "The Messenger" in Australia.

Nineteen-year-old Ed Kennedy is the epitome of pathetic mediocrity. He drives a cab, lives in a run-down shack with his malodorous dog, and plays cards with his friends Ritchie, Marv and Audrey. His life is completely devoid of purpose or significance – until he manages to foil a botched bank robbery, and someone, somewhere, decides that it’s time for Ed to become the messenger. Guided by playing cards left in his mailbox, he must venture from his shack to help people the rest of the world has abandoned. Not all of Ed’s tasks are easy, however, and the true purpose of his messages may be more than it seems.

protect the diamonds
survive the clubs
dig deep through the spades
feel the hearts

Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.

That's when the first ace arrives in the mail.

That's when Ed becomes the messenger.

Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary) until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?
A 2005 Michael L. Printz Honor Book and recipient of five starred reviews, I Am the Messenger is a cryptic journey filled with laughter, fists, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:08 -0400)

After capturing a bank robber, nineteen-year-old cab driver Ed Kennedy begins receiving mysterious messages that direct him to addresses where people need help, and he begins getting over his lifelong feeling of worthlessness.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,198,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible