Cartas cruzadas / I am the Messenger…

Cartas cruzadas / I am the Messenger (Spanish Edition) (edition 2011)

by Markus Zusak, Matuca Fernandez de Villavicencio (Translator)

Member:fvernalte
Title:Cartas cruzadas / I am the Messenger (Spanish Edition)
Authors:Markus Zusak
Other authors:Matuca Fernandez de Villavicencio (Translator)
Info:Lumeneditorial (2011), Edition: Tra, Hardcover, 383 pages
Rating:**
Tags:jóvenes, azar, amistad, ayudar al prójimo, futuro incierto

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Recently added bystrongasanoak, fgscott, private library, Shannon_Perez, RoxiePoxie4
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (RosyLibrarian)
    Wizard of the Pigeons by Robin Hobb (imager)
    imager: Not alike in storyline, but both somewhat unusual with memorable main characters.
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (imager)
    imager: Australian author and storyline
    Going Nowhere Faster by Sean Beaudoin (meggyweg)

English (204)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (219)
I didn't know this book was Christian Lit before I started reading, so it was a bit of a hmm.. this has religious undertones.. oh wait, I think it is... okay, it definitely is.

But speaking from a religious perspective, I thought it was a very well written book with not-so-subtle implications.

It's a little hard to review a book that is trying to speak into someone's life about Christianity (or really, any religion) because it's hard to talk about the merits of the book writing vs. the way the book carries its message vs. the religion behind the book.

I had no problems with the book's writing mechanics. I liked the pacing and the flow, and the characters were not cardboard cutouts. So this review is mostly about the way the book carries its message.

I am not certain you can go into this book without having some idea of Christianity because of the ending. It isn't like quite like Narnia books where much of the religious undertones can be ignored for the plot, characters, and world.

This book is about a boy who is living a normal life, meandering from day to day without any true goal. But that all changes when he is given an ace of diamonds. And he realizes he has to give messages to people.

The way the book leaves his friends for the last ace of hearts was actually very well done. I thought the exploration of people's secrets and things that are most important to them was beautiful. Everybody has secrets, everybody has something they are looking for.

3.5 stars rounded down. Recommended. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

3.5 stars rounded down. Recommended. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
This book for me was between 3.5 and 4 stars. I wasn't loving the story as much as the other book by Zusak. It was written well but the characters didn't really do anything for me. I liked the plot, reminding me a little of the 'pay it forward' story. I honestly think the characters were the downfall and the ending was also a little wonky for me. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
This book was not what I was expecting and I was pleasantly surprised. I already admired Zusak's work through The Book Thief, but I Am the Messenger has a different feel to it. There isn't much to say without ruining the plot. It's missing that final star because I didn't understand some of the Australian slang and the love interest was a fickle pickle. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Honestly, the words/message of the story gave me a new outlook on life. I fell in love with the characters, and I found it hard to put the book down at times. However, I am not sure if I am happy with the way the story ended. ( )
  nfoto | Jul 9, 2014 |

dig deep through the spades

feel the hearts
For Scout
The gunman is useless.
It feels like the mornings clap their hands.
To make me wake. [75]
Originally published as "The Messenger" in Australia.

Nineteen-year-old Ed Kennedy is the epitome of pathetic mediocrity. He drives a cab, lives in a run-down shack with his malodorous dog, and plays cards with his friends Ritchie, Marv and Audrey. His life is completely devoid of purpose or significance – until he manages to foil a botched bank robbery, and someone, somewhere, decides that it’s time for Ed to become the messenger. Guided by playing cards left in his mailbox, he must venture from his shack to help people the rest of the world has abandoned. Not all of Ed’s tasks are easy, however, and the true purpose of his messages may be more than it seems.

protect the diamonds
survive the clubs
dig deep through the spades
feel the hearts

Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.

That's when the first ace arrives in the mail.

That's when Ed becomes the messenger.

Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary) until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?
A 2005 Michael L. Printz Honor Book and recipient of five starred reviews, I Am the Messenger is a cryptic journey filled with laughter, fists, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:27 -0400)

Ed Kennedy is a nineteen-year-old cab driver who doesn't think much of his life. He inadvertently helps stop a bank robbery, and that is when his life starts to change. He begins to receive mysterious messages that instruct him to go to addresses where people need help. Ed becomes the messenger, but who is behind the messages? Meet Ed Kennedy - underage cabdriver, pathetic cardplayer, and useless at romance. He lives in a shack with his coffee-addicted dog, the Doorman, and he's hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence, until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery. That's when the first Ace arrives. That's when Ed becomes the messenger. Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary), until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible