Cartas cruzadas / I am the Messenger…

Cartas cruzadas / I am the Messenger (Spanish Edition) (edition 2011)

by Markus Zusak, Matuca Fernandez de Villavicencio (Translator)

Title:Cartas cruzadas / I am the Messenger (Spanish Edition)
Authors:Markus Zusak
Other authors:Matuca Fernandez de Villavicencio (Translator)
Info:Lumeneditorial (2011), Edition: Tra, Hardcover, 383 pages
Tags:jóvenes, azar, amistad, ayudar al prójimo, futuro incierto

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (rosylibrarian)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Australian author and storyline
    Wizard of the Pigeons by Robin Hobb (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Not alike in storyline, but both somewhat unusual with memorable main characters.
    Going Nowhere Faster by Sean Beaudoin (meggyweg)

English (221)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (236)
This is a page-turner. The prose is spare and the narrator's voice convincing. I almost always wanted to know what happened next, even after it became clear that the author's purpose wasn't as much to tell a good story as it was to present a moral fable. And it did get me thinking.

The book's accomplishments on the advocacy score, though, are negated by the ending twist, which left me disappointed. ( )
  john.cooper | Oct 8, 2015 |
A deceptively good read. Zusak's style of writing will ease you into a rhythm and story that subtly hypnotizes you.
I started the book with a few chuckles, and a question. Is this really the same author of the Book Thief? I admit a little confusion over the whole message plot, but the individual stories keep drawing you along on the author's fish line... until you are hooked.
I will have to digest for a while before deciding if this is a favorite. Just a lot to take in with the last 20 pages. ( )
  wvlibrarydude | Sep 6, 2015 |
@i_messenger +book_thief ( )
  Lorem | Sep 4, 2015 |
Though not an epic page turner or anything, this book was a steady and satisfying read. Ed is not a perfect hero or even a hero at all, more of an underachiever as normal and oblivious as the average bear. I particularly liked the end. ( )
  AdorablyBookish | Aug 29, 2015 |
I actually liked this book. There are moments of genius, but they don't even come close to The Book Thief, which is one of the best books I've ever read. That, combined with the fact that I would never want my kid to read this book until he turned 18, force me to give it a 3. Librarians and parents, please read this book and be sure you are ok with your teen kids reading it. The great message is not worth the trash you have to sort through to get there. I, like some other reviewers, are shocked that this book got an award from a children's library association. Kind of sad. Just let kids be kids. They'll get there soon enough. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |

dig deep through the spades

feel the hearts
For Scout
The gunman is useless.
It feels like the mornings clap their hands.
To make me wake. [75]
Originally published as "The Messenger" in Australia.

Nineteen-year-old Ed Kennedy is the epitome of pathetic mediocrity. He drives a cab, lives in a run-down shack with his malodorous dog, and plays cards with his friends Ritchie, Marv and Audrey. His life is completely devoid of purpose or significance – until he manages to foil a botched bank robbery, and someone, somewhere, decides that it’s time for Ed to become the messenger. Guided by playing cards left in his mailbox, he must venture from his shack to help people the rest of the world has abandoned. Not all of Ed’s tasks are easy, however, and the true purpose of his messages may be more than it seems.

protect the diamonds
survive the clubs
dig deep through the spades
feel the hearts
Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.
That's when the first ace arrives in the mail.
That's when Ed becomes the messenger.
Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary) until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?
A 2005 Michael L. Printz Honor Book and recipient of five starred reviews, I Am the Messenger is a cryptic journey filled with laughter, fists, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:08 -0400)

Ed Kennedy is a nineteen-year-old cab driver who doesn't think much of his life. He inadvertently helps stop a bank robbery, and that is when his life starts to change. He begins to receive mysterious messages that instruct him to go to addresses where people need help. Ed becomes the messenger, but who is behind the messages? Meet Ed Kennedy - underage cabdriver, pathetic cardplayer, and useless at romance. He lives in a shack with his coffee-addicted dog, the Doorman, and he's hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence, until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery. That's when the first Ace arrives. That's when Ed becomes the messenger. Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary), until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,802,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible