Cartas cruzadas / I am the Messenger…

Cartas cruzadas / I am the Messenger (Spanish Edition) (edition 2011)

by Markus Zusak, Matuca Fernandez de Villavicencio (Translator)

Member:fvernalte
Title:Cartas cruzadas / I am the Messenger (Spanish Edition)
Authors:Markus Zusak
Other authors:Matuca Fernandez de Villavicencio (Translator)
Info:Lumeneditorial (2011), Edition: Tra, Hardcover, 383 pages
Rating:**
Tags:jóvenes, azar, amistad, ayudar al prójimo, futuro incierto

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (rosylibrarian)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Australian author and storyline
    Wizard of the Pigeons by Megan Lindholm (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Not alike in storyline, but both somewhat unusual with memorable main characters.
    Going Nowhere Faster by Sean Beaudoin (meggyweg)

English (241)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (257)
I read this one because the Book Thief is one of my all time favorite books and was curious about other ya books written by this author - I enjoyed it, but found the story line to be very simplistic - probably better appreciated by a true young adult -

I appreciated the spiritual significance of the work - certainly the main character, Ed, brightened the lives of those he came in contact with and in doing so healed himself - but once I realized that the adventures would be similar, with different people experiencing the results, I became somewhat bored - the story did make me smile a lot, and that made it worth reading - I especially liked the doorman! ( )
  njinthesun | Jul 24, 2016 |
Ed es un joven taxista mediocre que, tras detener el robo de un banco, comienza a recibir naipes con direcciones, a donde debe dirigirse y "entregar un mensaje".

Decir algo más sería arruinar la historia para quienes no la han leído.

Leí este libro tras enamorarme de la escritura de Zusak en [b:The Book Thief|19063|The Book Thief|Markus Zusak|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1352395325s/19063.jpg|878368]. En esta ocasión la escritura tiene un aire más juvenil. Cosa que debe esperarse dado que este libro fue escrito antes que [b:The Book Thief|19063|The Book Thief|Markus Zusak|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1352395325s/19063.jpg|878368]. Sin embargo, las palabras son fluidas, la trama y los personajes interesantes, y hay muchos momentos divertidos y frases que aunque sencillas, profundas.

Lo que no termino de gustarme fue el desenlace final. Me pareció un poco rebuscado y mal desarrollado. A pesar de eso el libro es bueno y lo disfruté. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
An interesting story ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
Review: I AM The Messenger by Markus Zusak. It was another great book to enjoy by this Author. I love his writing. The story flows gradually through your mind to keep your brain working non-stop. It’s very hard to put into words what he masters in his writing. I would have to say after reading two of his books I place him at the top of my list of Authors. I don’t want to relate much of the story because I want you to also have the enjoyment that I felt while reading this book.

It starts off with a humorous failed bank robbery where the main character becomes the hero of the moment. Then an unusual twist to the story materializes. It involves plenty of adventure using the four aces in a deck of cards and the hero, Ed Kennedy. Humor follows as the story starts to unfold. He has three great friends, an awful smelling dog, a mother who nags and hates him, and he drives a cab with no other goal in life but playing cards once or twice a week with his friends.

What more could he accomplish….Could his life be better…Who really cared….and…Who was he really….
Read and enjoy
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
READ IN DUTCH

I was really looking forward to reading this book, as I am a great fan of Zusak's book The Book Thief (probably my all time favorite for the time being). Therefore I expected a lot from this one as well, surely as I heard very positive stories about I am the Messenger.

Unfortunately I was a little bit disappointed by the story. It definitely wasn't bad, but I missed the wonderful touch I felt in The Book Thief. Perhaps it was due to the translation, but I couldn't find as many beautiful sentences as I did reading The Book Thief.
Probably I am comparing thing far too much, but it is hard not to.
There were some parts though that I thought were really good, but the end was not as I had hoped and *SPOILER ALERT* resembled Sophie's World (Jostein Gaardner). I wasn't a fan of that ending either. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |

dig deep through the spades

feel the hearts
For Scout
The gunman is useless.
It feels like the mornings clap their hands.
To make me wake. [75]
Originally published as "The Messenger" in Australia.

Nineteen-year-old Ed Kennedy is the epitome of pathetic mediocrity. He drives a cab, lives in a run-down shack with his malodorous dog, and plays cards with his friends Ritchie, Marv and Audrey. His life is completely devoid of purpose or significance – until he manages to foil a botched bank robbery, and someone, somewhere, decides that it’s time for Ed to become the messenger. Guided by playing cards left in his mailbox, he must venture from his shack to help people the rest of the world has abandoned. Not all of Ed’s tasks are easy, however, and the true purpose of his messages may be more than it seems.

protect the diamonds
survive the clubs
dig deep through the spades
feel the hearts

Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.

That's when the first ace arrives in the mail.

That's when Ed becomes the messenger.

Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary) until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?
A 2005 Michael L. Printz Honor Book and recipient of five starred reviews, I Am the Messenger is a cryptic journey filled with laughter, fists, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:08 -0400)

Ed Kennedy is a nineteen-year-old cab driver who doesn't think much of his life. He inadvertently helps stop a bank robbery, and that is when his life starts to change. He begins to receive mysterious messages that instruct him to go to addresses where people need help. Ed becomes the messenger, but who is behind the messages? Meet Ed Kennedy - underage cabdriver, pathetic cardplayer, and useless at romance. He lives in a shack with his coffee-addicted dog, the Doorman, and he's hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence, until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery. That's when the first Ace arrives. That's when Ed becomes the messenger. Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary), until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,312,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible