Der Joker by Markus Zusak

Info:Bertelsmann Verlag (2006), Hardcover
Collections:Schulbibliotheken
Tags:Spende, AG-Schulbibliotheken, 13-01

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (RosyLibrarian)
    Wizard of the Pigeons by Robin Hobb (imager)
    imager: Not alike in storyline, but both somewhat unusual with memorable main characters.
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (imager)
    imager: Australian author and storyline
    Going Nowhere Faster by Sean Beaudoin (meggyweg)

English (194)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (208)
A noteworthy read that certainly will occupy your thoughts. Certainly might cause you to re-evaluate some of your relationships. ( )
  mcolv989 | Mar 19, 2014 |
So, I didn't love this book like a lot of people did. Maybe it's because I read The Book Thief first and loved it so much.

Ed, the protagonist, irritated the poop out of me. I'm no one, I'm nothing, my life is going no where... I get you. Can we please stop whining about it? The premise was interesting, but ultimately I found it a little shaky. The ending tried to satisfy things with who/what/why Ed was getting these mysterious cards but I didn't think that it made a whole lot of sense. The peripheral characters were also largely a source of aggravation, even towards the end when the story turns towards Ed's friends/family they don't feel sufficiently developed to make me actually care about them.

All that being said, this book does try to be deep and important, the themes are probably excellent for a mature seventh grader and up. The language and writing is gorgeous, it's almost poetic. The story itself just fell flat for me.

There are worse things to read, though. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
A young adult novel, I am the Messenger tells the tale of 19-year-old Ed Kennedy an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. After accidentally preventing a bank robber from escaping, Ed receives his first playing card with three addresses written on it. He understands that he needs to deliver a message to each of these places, but the card offers no further instructions. Relying on his intuition alone, Ed starts touching people’s lives and trying to understand what he has to do. The messages vary from simple (buying someone a ice cream cone) to horribly complex and painful (saving an abused wife and daughter). The final question to be answered is who is sending Ed the messages. I found this book a wonderful example of how anyone is capable of making a difference in another’s life—whether through a small gesture or a large one. I found myself truly engaged in this book—and found the premise clever and the writing sweet, sad and humorous all at the same time. A 4 ½ out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Mar 10, 2014 |
“If a guy like you can stand up and do what you did, then maybe everyone can. Maybe everyone can live beyond what they’re capable of.”

We all have messages to deliver in our lives , and the first one should be for us and for the closest people by showing ourselves and them that life couldn't be that badly
and together we can help on another.
reach out , search , open your eyes and you'll find a lot of people who need your hand but remember : start with yourself

this was a twisted mystery story told in a marvelous way all the dialogs are quite smart and the monolog within the heroine mind is the same that we have too ( )
  Soplada | Feb 27, 2014 |
A nice book, a quick read, a fun quirky story. ( )
  jvgravy | Jan 26, 2014 |

dig deep through the spades

feel the hearts
For Scout
The gunman is useless.
It feels like the mornings clap their hands.
To make me wake. [75]
Originally published as "The Messenger" in Australia.

Nineteen-year-old Ed Kennedy is the epitome of pathetic mediocrity. He drives a cab, lives in a run-down shack with his malodorous dog, and plays cards with his friends Ritchie, Marv and Audrey. His life is completely devoid of purpose or significance – until he manages to foil a botched bank robbery, and someone, somewhere, decides that it’s time for Ed to become the messenger. Guided by playing cards left in his mailbox, he must venture from his shack to help people the rest of the world has abandoned. Not all of Ed’s tasks are easy, however, and the true purpose of his messages may be more than it seems.

protect the diamonds
survive the clubs
dig deep through the spades
feel the hearts

Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.

That's when the first ace arrives in the mail.

That's when Ed becomes the messenger.

Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary) until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?
A 2005 Michael L. Printz Honor Book and recipient of five starred reviews, I Am the Messenger is a cryptic journey filled with laughter, fists, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:27 -0400)

Ed Kennedy is a nineteen-year-old cab driver who doesn't think much of his life. He inadvertently helps stop a bank robbery, and that is when his life starts to change. He begins to receive mysterious messages that instruct him to go to addresses where people need help. Ed becomes the messenger, but who is behind the messages? Meet Ed Kennedy - underage cabdriver, pathetic cardplayer, and useless at romance. He lives in a shack with his coffee-addicted dog, the Doorman, and he's hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence, until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery. That's when the first Ace arrives. That's when Ed becomes the messenger. Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary), until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible