Der Joker by Markus Zusak

Authors:Markus Zusak
Info:Bertelsmann Verlag (2006), Hardcover
Tags:Spende, AG-Schulbibliotheken, 13-01

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (rosylibrarian)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Australian author and storyline
    Wizard of the Pigeons by Megan Lindholm (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Not alike in storyline, but both somewhat unusual with memorable main characters.
    Going Nowhere Faster by Sean Beaudoin (meggyweg)

English (246)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (262)
Though I found the structure quaint, it was nevertheless fun, and the story was compelling, so I was enjoying the book right up until the end. The big reveal was a big let down. It's a shame, because the message of the book is still a good one: Totally average people can do small acts of kindness and caring that add up to something remarkable. I felt the puppeteer ending cheapened that message. ( )
  trwm | Oct 6, 2016 |
Ho adorato ogni pagina, dalla prima all'ultima.
Markus Zusak è diventato repentinamente uno dei miei autori preferiti e "Il Messaggero" ha scalato altrettanto in fretta la graduatoria degli amori della mia vita, facendomi anche piangere a tratti, di tenerezza e rimpianto.
Spero di avere la possibilità di avere tra le mani qualche altra sua opera!!! ( )
  Crissy8686 | Oct 6, 2016 |
4.5 / 5 ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
I read this book years ago, in high school.

I hadn't read The Book Thief and I was interested to read one of his lesser-known books. I thought it was readable, and I was waiting for it to pick up or to build to something greater, but it didn't really. I liked it but I thought the book just felt a little bit flat to me.

Since then, I have read The Book Thief and I have to say I think that's the stronger of his works. I really didn't connect with the main protagonist at the time and I don't remember him very much at all now.

Such a shame because I know he can do great things, but this just wasn't the book for me. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Think white, poor, almost trash—ok, trash. A young voice, not quite clever, uneducated, post Holden Caulfield.

On a quest—more Hesse than Potter. And a Rod Sirling twist to catch you at the end.

In the book, nothing feels real. People are puppets. Rescues are wrong. The psychology is not that of humans. The psychology is that of a writer snaring you page by page.

It is just a book—Remember that.

It is not something to live by.
  kerns222 | Aug 24, 2016 |

dig deep through the spades

feel the hearts
For Scout
The gunman is useless.
It feels like the mornings clap their hands.
To make me wake. [75]
Originally published as "The Messenger" in Australia.

Nineteen-year-old Ed Kennedy is the epitome of pathetic mediocrity. He drives a cab, lives in a run-down shack with his malodorous dog, and plays cards with his friends Ritchie, Marv and Audrey. His life is completely devoid of purpose or significance – until he manages to foil a botched bank robbery, and someone, somewhere, decides that it’s time for Ed to become the messenger. Guided by playing cards left in his mailbox, he must venture from his shack to help people the rest of the world has abandoned. Not all of Ed’s tasks are easy, however, and the true purpose of his messages may be more than it seems.

protect the diamonds
survive the clubs
dig deep through the spades
feel the hearts
Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.
That's when the first ace arrives in the mail.
That's when Ed becomes the messenger.
Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary) until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?
A 2005 Michael L. Printz Honor Book and recipient of five starred reviews, I Am the Messenger is a cryptic journey filled with laughter, fists, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:08 -0400)

Ed Kennedy is a nineteen-year-old cab driver who doesn't think much of his life. He inadvertently helps stop a bank robbery, and that is when his life starts to change. He begins to receive mysterious messages that instruct him to go to addresses where people need help. Ed becomes the messenger, but who is behind the messages? Meet Ed Kennedy - underage cabdriver, pathetic cardplayer, and useless at romance. He lives in a shack with his coffee-addicted dog, the Doorman, and he's hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence, until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery. That's when the first Ace arrives. That's when Ed becomes the messenger. Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary), until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,697,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible