The Family Book by Todd Parr

The Family Book (edition 2010)

by Todd Parr

Member:laraf123
Title:The Family Book
Authors:Todd Parr
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: 1 Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:Untitled collection, youth

The Family Book by Todd Parr

This story showcases that not all families are the same and that some families have one parent, or they have two moms or two dads, so it truly showcases that even if your family may not be a "typical" one that it's still okay.
  AdriLanz | Jun 5, 2017 |
discusses different family types and dynamics. how it is okay to have different types of families
1 book
  TUCC | Dec 9, 2016 |
I liked this book for many reasons. The first reason is because of the characters. Although there were no specific characters with names or who told the story, there were family member characters like a mom, dad, stepmom, stepdad, brother, and sister. For the reason that the book was about family, this worked very well. For example, "Some families have two moms or two dads. Some families have one parent instead of two." Through having these sort of generic characters, the book can relate to all children and their understanding of who helps to compose a family. The second thing that I liked about this book was the writing. The writing consisted of short and to the point sentences, which flowed very well. "Some families look alike. Some families look like their pets. All families are sad when they lose someone they love." Every sentence besides the few which talk about "all" families start with the word "some," providing a consistent writing pattern for young readers. The last thing that I liked about this book are the illustrations. The illustrations appeal to young readers due to the fact that, they look like a child was the one who drew them. For example, think of the last quote I discussed, "All families are sad when they lose someone they love." Next to this quote, was an illustration of two fish bowls; one with two goldfish and the other with one goldfish. I thought that this was very clever in introducing a touchy topic like death or loss to children. Overall, I feel that the 'big idea' of this book was to teach children that all families are different in their own ways, but also that all families are special in their own way. ( )
  madigischel | Nov 6, 2016 |
In my opinion this is a pretty good book to read to young children, especially those in a diverse learning setting. Children are sometimes unconformable when the realize they are different from the people around them. Some kids have two moms or two dads or maybe only one dad. In our society, even today, there is a typical family dynamic which includes a mom and a dad. This book clearly goes through different types of families, for example one of the eccentric colored characters lives with the grandparents. The book also tackles racial diversity very tastefully using colors that make new colors to represent the children. One page in the book had a blue parent, a yellow parent that had a green child. This helps students understand thats it is okay and normal to have parents of different ethnic backgrounds. The moral of this story is that it is okay to have a "non-traditional" family and that families of all sizes and colors should be celebrated. I think students would benefit from this book because they can either relate to it or learn from it. ( )
  Kacie11 | Sep 28, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. Not only are the pictures colorful and bold, but they allow the reader to connect on a more personal note. This is by being able to compare and contrast the reader's family to the ones in the book. The author, Todd Parr, demonstrates to young readers that even though all families are different in their own way, they are special no matter what. He illustrates a variety of different animals like pigs, ducks, elephants, monkeys, cows, rabbits, etc. He mentions in the text that "All families like to hug each other!" Then goes on to say "Some families live near each other. Some families live far from each other." He uses this pattern of "some families" and "all families" throughout the book, which provides early readers with the repetition needed for learning literacy. Overall, this is a great read that is relevant for everyone. ( )
  mbauer9 | Sep 21, 2016 |
For my Family-who sometimes did not understand me, but encouraged me to go after everything I wanted even when we did not agree. As I now realize-this takes a lot of love to do. -T.P.
Some families are big

Represents a variety of families, some big and some small, some with only one parent and some with two moms or dads, some quiet and some noisy, but all alike in some ways and special no matter what.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:07 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,157,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible