Bone Parish Vol. 1 by Cullen Bunn

Bone Parish Vol. 1 (edition 2019)

by Cullen Bunn (Author), Jonas Scharf (Illustrator), Alex Guimaraes (Contributor)

621,857,647 (3.75)None
Member:ManWithAnAgenda
Title:Bone Parish Vol. 1
Authors:Cullen Bunn (Author)
Other authors:Jonas Scharf (Illustrator), Alex Guimaraes (Contributor)
Info:BOOM! Studios (2019), 112 pages
Rating:***
Tags:horror, graphic-novels, c21st, sequential-art, 2010s

Bone Parish Vol. 1 by Cullen Bunn

This is a great start to a horror series. A family in New Orleans has developed a new hallucinogen, ash, that is so lucid, so real, that demand for it keeps skyrocketing - even if it is made from the dead. This business is becoming so profitable its caught the attention of cartels in New York and elsewhere that might soon stop asking for a share in the business, but take it all. There's also the other small problem that horrifying side effects have emerged...

These opening issues of 'Bone Parish' set up a crime family dynamic with plenty of secrets and regrets. There isn't a lot of space for characterization, I know that that has to come in pieces in this format, but its frustrating to have information teased out over such a long period of time. This has a lot of promise, I'll keep my eyes open. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | May 9, 2019 |
Bone Parish follows a family that thrives in crime together. The Winters family managed to create a new designer hallucinogenic drug, one taking the streets of New Orleans by storm. This is no normal drug either. Paralleling the use of mummy and bone dust by our ancestors, this new drug incorporates the ashes of the deceased. Bodies are retrieved from cemeteries, and their clever alchemist in the lab, Brigitte, can make unique 'strains’ depending on what the person was in life, to grant skills and knowledge. As demand grows, bigger crime families make moves to buy or take over the Ash operations. To top it all off, users are beginning to experience terrible side effects. The dead are trying to live again, through the people who've consumed them.

This was quite the unusual graphic novel. Despite following bodysnatchers making drugs from the deceased, I became really invested in the story. This mirrors (not so) ancient practises that used mummy powder as medicine. This was fascinating from an anthropologist's point of view. This was just volume one, and I want more of the story! I want to know what parts, exactly, are being used. How are memories and essence of the dead showing through the drug users? I need to know!!

Here, enjoy this article!

The artwork is stunning, perfect for this gritty tale of life, death, and resurrection. I felt the characters were compelling too. I loved Grace, who was mostly decisive and strong, despite being addicted to the Ash. She uses it to interact with her deceased husband. Brigitte was pretty cool too. She's the one who figured out how to make the drug, and manufactures the batches. Demand for very distinct traits and/or experiences has led her to give her resurrectionists lists of specific people to unearth. She seems reluctant and uncertain over these specialised requests, and with the increased demand. She won't share the secret, so the Ash can't be mass produced. She's rightly concerned by the attention all the body-snatching is garnering. And things are starting to go wrong in all the worst ways. The Ash is causing users to go on rages, controlled by the visions of the dead.

Recommended for those who like gritty, dark graphic novels!

***Many thanks to Netgalley/ BOOM! Studios for providing an ecopy in exchange for a fair and honest review. ( )
  PardaMustang | Feb 16, 2019 |

A necromantic horror series about an upstart crime family trafficking in a new designer drug that's just hit the market made from the ashes of the dead. A new drug is sweeping through the streets of New Orleans-one made from the ashes of the dead. Wars are being fought over who will control the supply, and the demand is rising. While the various criminal factions collide, users begin to experience terrifying visions of the dead coming back to life...through them. Eisner Award-nominated author Cullen Bunn (Harrow County, The Empty Man) and illustrator Jonas Scharf team up for Bone Parish, a haunting blend of horror and crime that takes an unflinching look at how we connect to-and disconnect from-the world around us.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,754,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible