Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by…

Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Gary D. Schmidt

Member:queenteenlibrarian
Title:Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy
Authors:Gary D. Schmidt
Info:Yearling (2006), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:teen fiction, young adult fiction, juvenile fiction, historical fiction, racism, friendship, outcasts, death, religion

Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary D. Schmidt (2004)

I love the whale motif that is carried through this story, as well as the references to evolution and Darwin. The way nature and "civilization" interplay challenges ideas about who is disciplined and right and who is not. "There is nothing in the world more beautiful and more wonderful in all it's evolved forms than two souls who look at each other straight on." ( )
  CALammert | Apr 13, 2016 |
This book crept up on me like the sea breezes of its setting. Slow to start but it involved me as Turner got into more embarrassing scrapes. Unexpected moments of humor and tragedy such as pp 151-52 when Turner and Lizzie argue Mrs. Cobb's last words. Told in a folksy, poetic voice.

Booktalk: It's not easy for Turner being the new kid in town AND being the minister's son. Everyone in Phippsburg, Maine, expects the minister's son to act a certain way. Embarrassingly, he doesn't live up to their expectations. What are people to think when the minister's son punches Deacon Hurd's boy in the nose and is discovered half undressed in a old lady's kitchen trying to wash the blood off his shirt? But Lizzie Bright doesn't mind if Turner seems an oddball. Even if she did meet him while he was playing baseball with a piece of driftwood and rocks and ended up bloodying his own face. Lizzie may think Turner is an idiot and even tell him so but they get to be pretty good friends and they get along all right.

However some important people in Phippsburg aren't all right with Lizzie or her grandfather or the other poor people living in the raggedy houses out on Malaga Island. They want to kick them all off the island and tear down their houses so they can build a hotel and resort and make lots of tourism money. Turner may have done some stupid things before but when Lizzie and her grandfather are about to lose their home, can he be the one person in Phippsburg to stand up and do the only right thing?
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
In the early 1900s Terrance Buckminster and his family move to Phippsburg, Maine where he just doesn't fit in with anyone; until he meets Lizzie Bright, a negro girl from Malaga Island across the way. The town is up in arms over the friendship as they are in the process of attempting to get everyone off the island so the town can turn it into a tourist resort.

This book was really sad. There really was no happy ending to speak of for anyone. The language was beautiful though and I loved watching the relationships develop; in particular Lizzie and Terrance and Mrs. Cobb and the two children. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the loooooong baseball descriptions although I will fully admit that baseball is my least favorite sport so these parts were definitely a little bit much for me.

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
For Virginia Buckley, who, like the sea breeze, urges us to our best shores.
Turner Buckminster had lived in Phippsburg, Maine, for fifteen minutes shy of six hours.

A minister's son moves with his family to a small Maine town in the early 1900s. He forms a friendship with a black girl from a nearby squatter community, and he and his family run afoul of the community when the town decides to evict the squatters and turn their land into a resort area.

Not only is Turner Buckminster the son of the new minister in a small Maine town, he is shunned for playing baseball differently than the local boys. Then he befriends smart and lively Lizzie Bright Griffin, a girl from Malaga Island, a poor community founded by former slaves. Lizzie shows Turner a new world along the Maine coast from digging clams to rowing a boat next to a whale. When the powerful town elders, including Turner’s father, decide to drive the people off the island to set up a tourist business, Turner stands alone against them. He and Lizzie try to save her community, but there’s a terrible price to pay for going against the tide.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:34 -0400)

In 1911, Turner Buckminster hates his new home of Phippsburg, Maine, but things improve when he meets Lizzie Bright Griffin, a girl from a poor, nearby island community founded by former slaves that the town fathers--and Turner's--want to change into a tourist spot.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,851,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible