I Am a Feminist: Claiming the F-Word in…

I Am a Feminist: Claiming the F-Word in Turbulent Times (Orca Issues) (edition 2019)

by Monique Polak (Author)

1171,187,667 (4)None
Member:cambridgecenter
Title:I Am a Feminist: Claiming the F-Word in Turbulent Times (Orca Issues)
Authors:Monique Polak (Author)
Info:Orca Book Publishers (2019), 176 pages
Tags:Feminist Theory

I Am a Feminist: Claiming the F-Word in Turbulent Times (Orca Issues) by Monique Polak

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Monique Polak has written an engaging, accessible, and wide-ranging book on feminism for the YA audience (ages 12+). By the end of the book, the reader will have an understanding of the history of feminism from suffragists to the #MeToo movement. Polak touches on systemic barriers, intersectionality, domestic violence, rape culture, gender, sexual orientation, disability, and much more. I Am A Feminist: Claiming the F-Word in Turbulent Times opens doors and windows to understanding and guides us to more with the inclusion of end matter such as Resources, References, and a Glossary. An easy read and a must read for all youth and anyone else, really, who needs a big view refresher on the importance of feminism. ( )
  jbealy | Mar 24, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I want to hand this book out to every teenager I meet. With chapters on romantic relationships, appearance, careers, intersectionality, and finding allies with boys and men, this book covers a lot of ground. I was especially taken with the chapter on the history of feminism, and seeing the current movement in context with all that has come before. There are anecdotes, profiles, and images dotted throughout the text, which gives a fuller view of the issues at hand. The author helpfully provides a glossary and list of resources for further exploration. Many of the references and interviews are Canadian, giving a slightly more global perspective for an American audience. ( )
  strongstuff | Mar 21, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Another in the excellent Orca Issues series for young adults. This is a fine introduction to feminism and should help it readers to lose their fear of the "F-word". The books description of First, Second, Third and Fourth Wave feminism is spot on. As we grow we become more expansive and inclusive in our work toward a world wide feminism. Like all the Orca Issues books, it includes a Glossary, Resources for further investigation and Notes on every chapter.Chapter Six on Intersectionality and Chapter Seven on Raising Feminist Boys are outstanding. It is clearly written and in the final word from the author,she says, " Things are not perfect--they may never be perfect. But there are signs of groeth. Better days are ahead for all of us if we work together." I concur.
  cambridgecenter | Mar 14, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I must admit that I flipped through and jumped around reading this book. It's not necessarily a book you need to read cover to cover as each chapter is its own mini-lesson in 4th wave feminism and current ongoing discussions/topics on the subject.

As a reader in their 30's, I am quite a bit older than the targeted YA audience for this book. However, there was still a ton for me to think about and it's definitely good to get a refresh on current topics.

Now because it's written for ages 12 and up I'm wondering why they chose to title a chapter: "Raising Feminist Boys: Allies in the fight against Sexism." When presented that way it seems to be about actually raising a child. Going with "Allies in the fight against Sexism" angle clarifies the chapter. It includes male role models, and analyzes society's expectations of boys/gender roles and keeps boys in the discussion to show them how to be an ally.

This would make an excellent book for a school or classroom library. There are plenty of pictures, insets, and fun facts that certainly make the topic accessible for anyone that isn't sure where to start when curious about feminism. ( )
  minacee | Mar 10, 2019 |
I Am A Feminist: Claiming the F-WORD in Turbulent Times by Monique Polak
I enjoyed this book. I consider myself a feminist and thought I knew a
lot of the names and history, but I definitely learned some new things.
I liked the way it focused a lot on Canada since I didn't know much of
the history there and I was not surprised to learn that Canada was a
little ahead of the US in suffrage and things. I really liked the fact
that it covered the intersectionality. I hear more about that lately
and it definitely is an important aspect of feminism. And of course
the chapter on Raising Feminist Boys - that's definitely and important
piece and ties directly into todays all-too common Toxic Masculinity.
It is aimed toward young adults and I thinhk it really hits the mark
there. I would definitely recommend it, even for older ages who are
just getting exposed to this important topic. ( )
  Mantra | Mar 8, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Monique Polak's book I Am a Feminist: Claiming the F-Word in Turbulent Times is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,494,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible