Missing May by Cynthia Rylant

Missing May (original 1992; edition 2004)

by Cynthia Rylant

Title:Missing May
Authors:Cynthia Rylant
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 112 pages

Missing May by Cynthia Rylant (1992)

This was one of the best Newberry winners I've read in a while. I don't know if it is really deserving of five stars or not, but the characters were just so lovable, and I haven't given a book five stars in a while, so why not. The book brought tears to my eyes on several occasions, both happy and sad. It's a really quick read, shorter than many young adult books. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Summary: Missing May is a story of a little girl who longs to be loved. Avery poor older couple her aunt May and uncle Ob take her in making her very happy. Every moment is spent with her. Until May dies and Ob is depressed. They are both very depressed. Toward the end Ob decides to do things May wanted to do and places Mays favorite things (whirligigs) in the yard.

Personal reaction: This book is very realistic. It offers no real help about dealing with things which is okay because there is no cure for grieving. It simply shows to hurt people living on past their heartache. It shows how much the little things people do alive come to surface when they die and we miss them the most.

Extension Ideas: write a letter to someone we love. Make whirligigs.
  Te904669 | Jul 22, 2015 |
  mrsforrest | Oct 15, 2014 |
A simple, timeless story about a little girl's love for her Aunt and the unwavering support from unexpected places. It is an easy read for all ages (grades 3 and up). ( )
  MichelleUnger | Oct 14, 2014 |
I have mixed feelings about this book. I liked it because I think Cynthia Rylant does a great job of showing the appreciation the Character Summer has for her aunt and uncle. For example, on page 5 the Summer is describing her first night with her aunt and uncle in their trailer. Summer says, "That first night in it with Ob and May was as close to paradise as I may ever come in my life."

The thing I didn't really like about the book is that the plot in the beginning jumps around a bit. For example, it starts off with Summer talking about when May died, then it goes on to talk about how Summer ended up with her aunt and uncle then goes back to present day after May died.

The main idea in this book is that everyone grieves differently and missing a relative who has passed away is normal and okay. ( )
  jraeke1 | Mar 3, 2014 |

Cynthia Rylantprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McDormand, FrancesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marvin O. Mitchell, my most extraordinary teacher.
When May died, Ob came back to the trailer, got out of his good suit and into his regular clothes, then went and sat in the Chevy for the rest of the night.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439613833, Mass Market Paperback)

This wonderful book revolves around a few delightfully named characters: Summer, Uncle Ob, Aunt May and Cletus Underwood. After being passed among relatives, Summer joins her aunt and uncle and marvels at the couple's deep love for one another. But after Aunt May dies, Summer and Uncle Ob are brought together in their struggles to come to terms with the death. Cletus, a neighbor boy, comes along to help provide an answer. This simple and sweet story, which won the Newbery Medal in 1993, is injected with just the right touches of humor and mysticism.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:44 -0400)

After the death of the beloved aunt who has raised her, twelve-year-old Summer and her uncle Ob leave their West Virginia trailer in search of the strength to go on living. Twelve-year-old Summer, her classmate Cletus, and her grieving Uncle Ob set off across West Virginia in search of a "Small Medium at Large" in fond hopes of reaching Aunt May beyond the grave. Their journey is heartening, funny, and altogether unforgettable.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,860,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible