Missing May by Cynthia Rylant

Missing May (original 1992; edition 1993)

by Cynthia Rylant

Member:tweezle
Title:Missing May
Authors:Cynthia Rylant
Info:Random House Children's Books (1993), Paperback, 88 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, Newbery Award

Missing May by Cynthia Rylant (1992)

(6.7)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
A simple, timeless story about a little girl's love for her Aunt and the unwavering support from unexpected places. It is an easy read for all ages (grades 3 and up). ( )
  MichelleUnger | Oct 14, 2014 |
I have mixed feelings about this book. I liked it because I think Cynthia Rylant does a great job of showing the appreciation the Character Summer has for her aunt and uncle. For example, on page 5 the Summer is describing her first night with her aunt and uncle in their trailer. Summer says, "That first night in it with Ob and May was as close to paradise as I may ever come in my life."

The thing I didn't really like about the book is that the plot in the beginning jumps around a bit. For example, it starts off with Summer talking about when May died, then it goes on to talk about how Summer ended up with her aunt and uncle then goes back to present day after May died.

The main idea in this book is that everyone grieves differently and missing a relative who has passed away is normal and okay. ( )
  jraeke1 | Mar 3, 2014 |
A captivating and thoughtful story about the realities of life and accepting our place within our own life. After Summer's mother died when she was six years old, she went to live with her older Aunt May and Uncle Ob. They both took wonderful care of Summer. But then at the age of twelve, Aunt May passed away which created a huge void in Summer's and Uncle Ob's life. This is a story of reconnecting with those who have passed, hoping in the spiritual life. It is also a story of unexpectedly connecting with those different than us, who have much to offer, such as we see in Cletus (a classmate of Summer's) who comes into the family picture at the most inopportune yet appropriate times of need.
If I were using this book in a class setting, a couple teaching points I would use are…
- Discovering the use of figurative language (such as metaphors, similes and personification) along with humor as it is used in the text.
- Drawing out the comparisons to the student's own lives as it relates to the realities of life as well as the spiritual connections expressed in the story. ( )
  brianslagle | Feb 28, 2014 |
I expected more from a Newbery Medal Winner. I found the plot incredibly slow and the outcome not overly poignant. I wouldn't recommend it. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 7, 2014 |
For Marvin O. Mitchell, my most extraordinary teacher.
When May died, Ob came back to the trailer, got out of his good suit and into his regular clothes, then went and sat in the Chevy for the rest of the night.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439613833, Mass Market Paperback)

This wonderful book revolves around a few delightfully named characters: Summer, Uncle Ob, Aunt May and Cletus Underwood. After being passed among relatives, Summer joins her aunt and uncle and marvels at the couple's deep love for one another. But after Aunt May dies, Summer and Uncle Ob are brought together in their struggles to come to terms with the death. Cletus, a neighbor boy, comes along to help provide an answer. This simple and sweet story, which won the Newbery Medal in 1993, is injected with just the right touches of humor and mysticism.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:03 -0400)

After the death of the beloved aunt who has raised her, twelve-year-old Summer and her uncle Ob leave their West Virginia trailer in search of the strength to go on living. Twelve-year-old Summer, her classmate Cletus, and her grieving Uncle Ob set off across West Virginia in search of a "Small Medium at Large" in fond hopes of reaching Aunt May beyond the grave. Their journey is heartening, funny, and altogether unforgettable.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,035,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible