The Accidental Veterinarian: Tales from a…

The Accidental Veterinarian: Tales from a Pet Practice

by Philipp Schott

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a delightful book. I was probably expecting something like the James Herriot books, set in Canada, but in many ways, this was a more complete look at a veterinarian’s practice than the Herriot books. This book was educational, amusing and made me think about what’s involved in taking care of animals. I may have learned more about some subjects than I wanted but I’m glad I did. Philipp Scott is an excellent writer and I hope he goes on to write more books. ( )
  j.alice | Apr 19, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A truly delightful book! Though a little more practical and lacking some of the heart-warming human characters, this book feels a bit like a modern version of James Herriot's much-loved books. The added bonus is that for people with pets, primarily a dog or a cat, there is much useful information about signs and symptoms that one might see in their pets and possible causes along with guidance about when not to worry and when to panic. And though that might seem clinical and dry reading, Dr. Schott manages to communicate these things by using delightful anecdotes about his own experiences over the years. Pet owners might become even better pet owners (and better clients for their own veterinarians) by reading this book! Being a dog-parent and having my own multiple vet interactions over the years, I could relate to so many of the stories Dr. Schott told in this book-- so many memories came back of dogs I have loved over the years. I finished this book with an incredible urge to send a thank-you note to my vet and his wonderful clinic staff. I think most decent pet-owners would feel the same way. ( )
  55T-bird | Apr 17, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a fun book, filled with interesting animal care facts and amusing stories about pets, written by a Canadian veterinarian. The author, Dr. Philipp Schott, has an easy conversational writing style, and a satirical sense of humor. Through a series of essays and short stories he talks about how he became a vet and describes his professional life in a busy veterinary practice. This is a pleasant, easy read that is both funny and informative. New pet owners might find the pet care tips especially helpful, but the stories are fun reading for anyone. [An electronic copy of this book was given to me in exchange for my honest review.] ( )
  mpensack | Apr 15, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book by Canadian veterinarian Philipp Schott was humorous, informative at times, and an enjoyable light read. It apparently started life as a blog, and it reads like one, with more the style of a series of magazine columns than an actual story. We have some tales of animal antics, many stories of pet owner antics and a section that is primarily “helpful tips from a vet”. His style is light and breezy with a bit of sardonic humor. It’s a pleasant read, if not a profound one.

I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  tealadytoo | Mar 31, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimer: An electronic copy of this book in unproofed galley format was provided in exchange for review by publishers ECW Press, via Library Thing.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This sprightly collection of short pieces, written by a Canadian veterinarian in small-animal practice, is an entertaining and often informative read for anyone who has ever been owned by an animal, or who might be considering entering the veterinary medical field.

Except for the final section, it is not a collection of “I once had a patient who…”, along the lines of James Herriott. It is, rather, one man’s journey into a field which he notes is “not an animal business that happens to involve people, but a people business that happens to involve animals”.

Readers will gain an understanding of what it means to be part of a veterinarian practice, will learn basics on keeping their pets well, when to visit the vet, and how to get the most out of the experience. Along the way, they may pick up some oddities like the long and curious evolution of the term “spay” and why a distemper shot has nothing to do with a dog’s temperament. They also get a quick glimpse into the darker side of the business – what it means to be tasked not only with keeping your patients healthy, but also with ending their lives humanely when necessary.

Most of the time, however, the topics are much less ponderous. Drawn from Schott’s blog, the pieces are as crisp and tasty as potato chips, and almost as addictive. The whimsical cartoons that preface each section carry through the light-hearted tone of much of the writing. Altogether, it’s definitely worth a read. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Mar 30, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Philipp Schott's book The Accidental Veterinarian is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,101,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible