Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie by David Lubar

Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie (2005)

by David Lubar

828None10,908 (3.66)13
(19) boys (16) brothers (16) bullying (14) family (33) fiction (44) fitting in (11) freshman (10) freshmen (14) friends (19) friendship (33) funny (12) gaffey (23) grade 8 (32) high school (90) humor (55) kolzow (19) love (9) pregnancy (9) q 1 (9) Q1 (16) realistic fiction (79) school (28) self-confidence (9) suicide (13) teen (16) writing (9) YA (41) young adult (32) young adult fiction (11)

Thoroughly enjoyed the literary terms that were involved in the book, though I wish that he had shown some of the "newspaper articles" so that we could see them totally played out.
The diary to the unborn brother was a bit much. Skipped over most of that.
Well done book about the problems of high school--bullies, overcommitment, young love.... ( )
  carolvanbrocklin | Sep 5, 2013 |
Hilarious! ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
June 19, 2011

Super cute! Scott was AWESOME! And I'm just going to say ditto to the stuff I said down there vv because I feel the same way!! :)

December 15, 2008

I'd give it 4.5 if I could.... I'm still working on that.

It was REALLY REALLY CUTE! I REALLY like Scott! He was so cute and nerdy, but in a great way! Just the kind of guy I would have gone for in high school... Of course, it would have been a super-secret crush, and he would never have suspected in a million years. But whatever. The guy was actually a lot like me, except that I was a huge math nerd, not an English nerd. And BOY, are math nerds nerdier!

ANYWAY! Book was cute. I couldn't believe the lengths Scott was willing to go to in order to spend time with Julia, when he couldn't even TALK to her! And, okay, I lied. I was more like Julia, including dating a bad-boy in high school. Except for the being gorgeous thing. I had bad glasses, bad hair, and bad clothes in high school. It's actually painful to think about—like Drew Barrymore in Never Been Kissed. Okay, not that bad. :)

Wow. This is completely off topic. The book was very interesting. It's one thing to read a book where the protagonist is male when it's written by a WOMAN. But it's a complete other thing when the book is actually written by a MAN. So I got some very intriguing insights into the mind of a teenage boy, without it being gross. He was actually a very respectful teenage boy, which is something I'm not used to... :P His mom and dad were great. I loved the whole diary-for-a-fetus thing... :D

I loved the characters of Mouth and Lee. Gosh, Mouth would be my best friend, but I'd be scared to death of Lee (and secretly envious of her green hair). I loved Wesley, too. He was REALLY FUNNY... siphoning gas... holy freaking cow!

Anyway, overall very cute. And I think I'm going to bump it up to 5 stars, as I loved it. Oh, and there are some serious teen issues in the book that Scott handles the best way he knows how... Suicide, bullies, judging people... those kinds of things. It was really good. ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
My favorite of the books I've read so far for the humor night in Library Materials for Young Adults. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
Scott Hudson has it all--as long as "all" includes bullies, a ton of homework, too many extra-curriculars, a crush on a girl who barely notices him, and a pregnant mom. So maybe he doesn't have it all (thanks to the seniors, he doesn't even have pocket change anymore), but he does still have his sense of humor. If that doesn't help him make it through his freshman year of high school, nothing will.

The book is an odd mix for me: so much of it rang false to me (did I go to an unusually nice high school, or do upperclassmen really not care about freshmen enough to be bullies? I don't remember ever being singled out personally, or seeing anyone else singled out, just because of my/their freshman status), and yet I really enjoyed the characters and cared what happened to them. And Scott is funny--more than once I found myself laughing at his jokes ("'They cut off my wrists,' Tom said offhandedly"), but that's probably more a reflection on my terrible sense of humor than the book's.... ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
For Walter Mayes, a giant not just in size, but in heart and mind
We plunged toward the future without a clue.

Starting high school is never easy. Seniors take your lunch money. Girls you’ve known forever are suddenly beautiful and unattainable. And you can never get enough sleep. Could there be a worse time for Scott’s mother to announce she’s pregnant? Scott decides high school would be a lot less overwhelming if it came with a survival manual, so he begins to write down tips for his new sibling. Meanwhile, he’s trying his best to capture the attention of Julia, the freshman goddess. In the process, Scott manages to become involved in nearly everything the school has to offer. So while he tries to find his place in the confusing world of high school, win Julia’s heart, and keep his sanity, Scott will be recording all the details for his sibling’s—and your—enjoyment.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:25 -0400)

While navigating his first year of high school and awaiting the birth of his new baby brother, Scott loses old friends and gains some unlikely new ones as he hones his skills as a writer.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,410,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible