Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie by David Lubar

Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie (2005)

by David Lubar

This book was not at all what I expected! it was funny, serious,and all around a great read! ( )
  PaigeM | Feb 24, 2016 |
  PaigeM | Feb 24, 2016 |
Narrated by Ryan MacConnell and cast. This starts out as a humorous, innocuous description of freshman year in high school. It's not sex, beer and drugs but senior intimidation, loads of homework, and yearning from afar for the pretty girl. The depth finally comes in several storylines: Scott's slow friendship with a multipierced girl, a classmate's suicide attempt and the anticipation of a new baby brother in the family. (Scott writes a journal of advice so his future brother can survive high school.) Musical interludes between chapters and a multivoiced cast make this a lively production. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
David Lubar gets no respect. This book is pure genius and should have won a ton of awards. Instead, the awards wen to some dreary real life book instead... ( )
  susan259 | Jan 20, 2016 |
At the start of Scott's first year of high school he is nervous but calm because he has his three best friends with him. Then he finds out his mother is pregnant, his older brother moves back home, his group of friends desintigrates and he finds himself hanging out with totally different people then whom he would have thought of as friends. Over the course of the year he ends up on student council, writing sports reviews for the paper and working on the stage crew for the school musical all trying to get the attention of one girl. All of this is wrapped around the book he is keeping (it's not a diary) with tips and lists for his future siblings high school days.

I really loved this book. It's another one that I had to read for work but I'm super excited about this one (we'll see how we feel after reading multiple times but for now it was pretty damn awesome.) Scott is a funny, smart and entertaining protagonist. He changes a lot both physically and mentally over the course of the year. He becomes stronger and observant. The things he says to both Mouth after what happens (being vague, no spoilers) and his brother are heartfelt, and wise and the kind of things that everyone needs to hear sometimes.

In the beginning of the story he considers himself someone who is always on the sidelines, but over the course of the book you see him stand up for Mouth, Lee and get Wesley's back. But Scott never goes too far, once the fight is over, he assumes it's done. He doesn't run around trying to get revenge or pick on the little guy.

I loved his english clash and vaguely remember having a similar experience once year. His spanish class on the other hand was the stuff of nightmares and had me constantly laughing. The lists and letters he writes his future sibling are great. Mostly they are funny and goofy and just a way to cope with both high school and his mother's pregnancy. But sometimes they also become deeper and the stuff of real meaning you. Although sometimes I did wonder at what point in his life his sibling would get this book and would the name calling be an issue.

All in all it was an enjoyable read and I'm sorry I never got to it sooner. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Starting high school is never easy. Seniors take your lunch money. Girls you’ve known forever are suddenly beautiful and unattainable. And you can never get enough sleep. Could there be a worse time for Scott’s mother to announce she’s pregnant? Scott decides high school would be a lot less overwhelming if it came with a survival manual, so he begins to write down tips for his new sibling. Meanwhile, he’s trying his best to capture the attention of Julia, the freshman goddess. In the process, Scott manages to become involved in nearly everything the school has to offer. So while he tries to find his place in the confusing world of high school, win Julia’s heart, and keep his sanity, Scott will be recording all the details for his sibling’s—and your—enjoyment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:54 -0400)

While navigating his first year of high school and awaiting the birth of his new baby brother, Scott loses old friends and gains some unlikely new ones as he hones his skills as a writer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,255,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible