Story Time by Edward Bloor

Story Time

by Edward Bloor

It was kind of weird. it was about a 'haunting'. Jack and jill took over people's bodies and gave the school a bad reputation. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
Very disappointing.
After reading and loving Tangerine, I wanted to see how Bloor would tackle standardized testing.
The way he did it was to do a bunch of political stumping about everything from how awful old presidents were to require them, and how wonderful new presidents are. We had to hear about how books were totally censored out because no book was allowed that had anything to do with witches or ghosts, however for some weird reason there are demons that have taken over a copy of nursery rhymes.
Little of this made sense to me and since it was written for a more juvenile audience, I have a feeling a good portion of it would go right over their heads also. The lady who spoke in nursery rhymes is especially confusing.
While there are some valid points about about the idea that if you dont' pass these tests you are going to be a failure in society, this is not a book that I would recommend. ( )
  carolvanbrocklin | Apr 9, 2013 |
This struck me as what would happen if Lemony Snicket wrote a book with a more realistic setting and plot. And, um, with demons. And standardized testing. And superweapons. So I guess it's maybe not so realistic at all. But it still had a certain Lemony Snicket-esque vibe in the wordplay and the sarcasm.

Ah, hell. I can't be articulate. I liked it. It was good. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 29, 2013 |
I thought this was a great satire of the public education system in America, today. The story was full of intelligent humor, mocking many of the mandates of our educational system. I especially liked the incorporation of the ghost story...subtly hinting at how spooky the "demons" of the library and free-thought can be. Loved it! This story has much to offer to the reader who likes to dig into the deeper thoughts revealed in a good satire. ( )
  TammyPhillips | Sep 14, 2011 |
Not at all realistic (of course, it is satire), but still fairly enjoyable.
Full review: http://persyandarty.blogspot.com/2010/10/persy-story-time-by-edward-bloor.html ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Aug 19, 2011 |
For Amanda
Kate was flying. She was thinking beautiful thoughts, and she was flying.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152052224, Paperback)

Blend equal parts Harry Potter, Cornelia Funke's Inkheart, and Ghostbusters and add a healthy dose of withering satire on the U.S. education system, and you have Edward Bloor's clever new novel, Story Time. When eighth grader Kate and her Uncle George (who is two years younger than her) receive letters inviting them to attend the Whittaker Magnet School, home of nasty protein shakes and the freakish "Test-Based Curriculum," their reactions are mixed. George, somewhat of a genius, is pleased, while Kate is horrified. Still, as a search on-line reveals, their house is suddenly in the Whittaker school district, so off they go. It's not long, before they discover something very strange is afoot at their new school. For one thing, the Whittaker-Austin family has rather alarming delusions of grandeur. For another, it seems a number of people have died at the school under mysterious circumstances. Then there's the librarian called Pogo, who speaks only in Mother Goose rhymes. With the President of the United States on his way for a tour of the school, the Whittaker-Austins want to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible--meaning no dead bodies in the soft drink cooler, no shenanigans from the mushroom-pale zombie students, and definitely no unscheduled visits from the resident demon.

As in his previous young adult novels, Tangerine and Crusader, Bloor's characters sparkle with life (or glow with unearthly non-life…). Story Time is hilarious, biting, and tremendously fun to read. (Ages 11 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:37 -0400)

George and Kate are promised the best education but instead face obsessed administrators, endless tests, and evil spirits when they are transferred to Whittaker Magnet School.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,247,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible