Love Falls by Esther Freud

Love Falls

by Esther Freud

English (8)  Dutch (2)  All languages (10)
Love Falls by Esther Freud; (4*)

This little novel by Sigmund Freud's great granddaughter is set in Italy where our teen age heroine has traveled with her father. I appreciated all of the characters, even the ones I disliked. The underlying mysteries about the main character's father's past and the boy she falls in love with made for very interesting reading.
And the title seems to be a play on words since a major scene takes place at Love Falls. Throughout the book people seem to be falling in and out of love. At first glance, the urgent romance between the main character and the young man seems to be the centerpiece of this novel, but in the end, it is a tale about loyalties and connections that endure.
I really enjoyed this read and will seek out more of Esther Freud's writings. ( )
  rainpebble | Aug 27, 2018 |
Dit boek las ik eerder in 2007 en ik herinnerde me bij herlezen alleen de sfeer, niet de gebeurtenissen. Mooi geschreven verhaal waarin de reis van hoofdpersoon Lara met haar vader naar Siena wordt afgewisseld met stukjes over de reis die Lara als kind met haar moeder maakte naar India. Eerste verliefdheid, verkrachting, familiegeheimen ... Ik vond het ook bij herlezing een mooi boek. ( )
  elsmvst | Mar 31, 2014 |
This book goes down deceptively easy, and I think readers may be tempted to treat it as a light summer read because of the topic (going-to-Italy and coming-of-age) but it is actually very carefully crafted and thoughtfully structured. In my view the whole point of the novel is that through her problematic and ambiguous encounter with the aristocracy, Lara gains an experience that allows her to develop greater sympathy for and understanding for her father. She is a young person who becomes caught up in a wealthy aristocratic world in which she is partially and very provisionally included, though she clearly does not 'belong.' That was, in a more extreme form, the same predicament her father found himself in as a child. The Willoughbys' tentative acceptance of Lara as an individual is tempered by their disdain for her kind. Kip is the lover whose wealth and nobility are part of his charm, Roland is the rapist whose class-based contempt is part of his hatefulness, and both are inextricably part of the same circle. She cannot have the one without dealing with the other. In the end, Lara finds herself desperately appealing to these people who owe her nothing for help so that she may rescue her father -- a small, mild version of the terrible predicament in which he found himself. The Palio presented to her a vision of how the classes might unite around shared cultural enthusiasms, while her intimate encounter with class inequalities breathed new life and interest into her school readings on the French Revolution and the Grapes of Wrath. ( )
  jstaylor | Jul 17, 2009 |
Initially, this book sucked me in. I was very interested in young Lara's first trip to Italy with the father she barely knew, and I was hoping to learn more as their relationship grew. Unfortunately, it didn't. About 60 pages in, it becomes the story of a rather wimpy, emotionally self-indulgent teenager who is obsessed with a beautiful rich boy . . . I felt like I was back in Twilight, reading Bella's cheesey descriptions of Edward. (Her decriptions of Lulu are almost as bad!) Her idolization of the idle--and generally mean and stupid--rich soon got to be a bore, and I couldn't wait to finish this one and turn it over to some poor sucker who wishlisted it on a swap site. The only plus I can give it is that, as someone below mentioned, Freud does a fine job of creating the feel of an Italian summer and of describing the surroundings in which Lara finds herself. ( )
  Cariola | Jul 7, 2009 |
This book made me long for summer; I could feel the sun on my skin as the characters did. The story kept my interest, the characters were interesting and likeable when they should have been and I found the ending satisfying. I recommend it for an intelligent but not difficult read. - Fiona ( )
  ForfarLibrary | Mar 3, 2009 |

Esther Freudprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lenting, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister, Bella
'I don't know if I've ever mentioned my friend Caroline,' Lambert said as a thick white plate of kedgeree arrived at the table and was set down on the linen cloth in front of Lara, 'but I had a letter this morning, and ...'

From the author of Hideous Kinky comes a charming, surprising, and utterly irresistible tale of adolescent love and self-discovery.

When seventeen-year-old Lara accepts her father's invitation to accom­pany him to a Tuscan villa for the summer, she's both thrilled and nervous for the exotic holiday. To her delight, she soon discovers that the villa's closest neighbors are the glamorous Willoughbys, the teenaged brood of a British millionaire. Caught up in their torrential thirst for amusement—and snared by Kip Willoughby's dark, flirtatious eyes—Lara sets off on a summer adven­ture full of danger, first love, and untold consequen­ces that will irrevocably change her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:01 -0400)

When seventeen-year-old Lara accepts her father's invitation to accompany him to a Tuscan villa for the summer, she's both thrilled and nervous for the exotic holiday. To her delight, she soon discovers that the villa's closest neighbors are the glamorous Willoughbys, the teenaged brood of a British millionaire. Caught up in their torrential thirst for amusement - and snared by Kp Willoughby's dark, flirtatious eyes-Lara sets off on a summer adventure full of danger, first love, and untold consequences that will irrrevocably change her life.… (more)

Voland Edizioni

An edition of this book was published by Voland Edizioni.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,467,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible