The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

The Penderwicks (2005)

by Jeanne Birdsall

English (135)  German (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (139)
A lovely romp, good summer fun with quirky characters ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
Author, Jeanne Birdsall has written a book that brought back memories of all the books I read as a child, and she reminded me of why I love to read today. During the days I read about the Penderwicks I was lost to the world: their adventure became more real and I ended up a stowaway on their summer vacation. This world is inhabited by Mr. Penderwick, his four motherless daughters; each so perfectly different, their heroic dog Hound, a lonely rich boy named Jeffery and his snooty up-tight mother and many more interesting characters. All the details about Arundel—a mansion with its manicured gardens, and the sweet cottage where the family stays for their 3 week vacation, adds to the magic of it all. Yes it’s a children’s book, but if you loved Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Pollyanna, and other classics then indulge your inner child and spend sometime with The Penderwicks. I’m giving it 5 stars for the memories. ( )
  PamelaBarrett | Mar 4, 2014 |
The Penderwicks was a difficult book for me to get started on. It had a bit of a slow start. But once past the first few chapters I was sucked in. I couldn't wait to hear about more misadventures by the Penderwick children. It was hard for me to read about a father who was so uninvolved - but he came around when needed. This is every child's fantasy to have a summer to roam freely - although their roaming led them to a lot of trouble! Very fun read. ( )
  JenWinans | Feb 27, 2014 |
I loved this book!!! Great ending, I will definitely read the next two!!! ( )
  lmeza | Feb 5, 2014 |
This story about a family of four girls, their widowed father, and their summer vacation at a country estate seems timeless. The dialogue and many of the activities seem modern. For example, two of the girls play soccer, which is much more popular now than it was during my childhood. One of the sisters, an aspiring author, types her finished novel on her father's computer. At the same time, modern technology is rarely mentioned in the book. The children spend most of their time outdoors. The oldest girl mails letters to her best friend back home. No mention of emails, texting, or Facebook. The family relies on a paper map rather than a GPS device to find their rental, adding some unexpected excitement to the journey. Technology changes so quickly that references to specific technologies can make a book seem dated within a short period of time, so the absence of references to contemporary technology might extend the book's popularity.

This is a perfect book for escaping from a cold and dreary autumn day. It reminded me of the seemingly endless summers of my childhood. Warmly recommended for both children and adults. ( )
  cbl_tn | Nov 26, 2013 |
For Bluey
For a long time after that summer, the four Penderwick sisters still talked of Arundel.
The Hound Draw for Order was a time-honored ritual with the sisters. Names were written on small pieces of paper, then dropped on the ground along with bits of broken dog biscuit. As Hound snuffled among the biscuit pieces, he couldn't help but knock into the papers. The person whose paper the big nose hit first was given first choice.
“The cuter the boy, the mushier your brain.”
The Penderwicks are four sisters, as different as chalk from cheese, yet as close as can be. The eldest, Rosalind, is responsible and practical; Skye, stubborn and feisty; dreamy, artistic, budding novelist, Jane; and shy little Batty, who doesn't go anywhere without her butterfly wings. And not forgetting Hound, their large lumbering lovable dog. The four girls and their absent-minded father head off for their summer holidays, but instead of the cosy tumbledown cottage they expect, they find themselves on a huge estate called Arundel, with magnificent gardens ripe for exploring. It isn't long before they become embroiled in all sorts of scrapes with new-found friend, Jeffrey - but his mother, the icy-hearted Mrs Tifton, must be avoided at all costs. Chaotic adventures ensue, and it soon becomes a summer the sisters will never forget...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440420474, Paperback)

This summer the Penderwick sisters have a wonderful surprise: a holiday on the grounds of a beautiful estate called Arundel. Soon they are busy discovering the summertime magic of Arundel’s sprawling gardens, treasure-filled attic, tame rabbits, and the cook who makes the best gingerbread in Massachusetts. But the best discovery of all is Jeffrey Tifton, son of Arundel’s owner, who quickly proves to be the perfect companion for their adventures.

The icy-hearted Mrs. Tifton is not as pleased with the Penderwicks as Jeffrey is, though, and warns the new friends to stay out of trouble. Which, of course, they will—won’t they? One thing’s for sure: it will be a summer the Penderwicks will never forget.

Deliciously nostalgic and quaintly witty, this is a story as breezy and carefree as a summer day.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:30 -0400)

While vacationing with their widowed father in the Berkshire Mountains, four young sisters, ages four through twelve, share adventures with a local boy, much to the dismay of his snobbish mother.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,379,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible