Whiteout by Ken Follett

Whiteout (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Ken Follett

2,120533,093 (3.36)11
Authors:Ken Follett
Info:Macmillan (2006), Edition: Abridged, Audio CD

Whiteout by Ken Follett (2004)

English (42)  Spanish (5)  German (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (53)
I used to think it was weird that Follett wrote mostly mid-sized page-turner crime/mystery/adventure type novels, and then he wrote PILLARS OF THE EARTH and the like. I couldn't understand how the same author could write two wildly differing books.

Now I get it. What made Pillars of the Earth and World Without End and Fall of Giants so lovable, to me, was the character development. He got you inside the minds of his characters, made you cheer for them, and wrote flawlessly of their intrigues and actions and thoughts without boring you one bit.

THAT is what made this novel so amazing for me. This was another one of his regular page-turners that I picked up at a garage sale for fifty cents. I read it on a five hour car ride and enjoyed myself immensely. I wanted to know what happened to all of my quickly cherished new friends, and loved the novel all the way throughout. A solid plot, very realistic, and SUPER entertaining.

Thank you Ken Follet! I'm now persistently on the lookout for more of your books!! ( )
  Proustitutes | Jun 11, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book. The plot moved smoothly and quickly. While the plot itself is nothing new, it still had plenty of drama, romance, humor and sex. The location is different and adds something new and exotic to the story. The characters are well developed and are a good example of opposites attracting. The more confident, outgoing and boisterous Ryan and the quiet somewhat nerdy Cameron, yet fundamentally the two men end up being more alike than different. I also liked that Cameron had a friend, someone to help him along and get past his shyness, in Jason. Jason is friendly and outgoing and his character added a bit more realism to the story and kept Cameron from seeming so whiny and self-involved. There are also plenty m/m situations, some are steamy and some are just raunchy fun. If I had one complaint it would be that I would have liked more information in the epilogue, as to what happened and how Ryan, Cameron and Jason all got along. This one of those stories that you will enjoy anytime as long as you do not try to take it too seriously or make more of it than it is. I would recommend it to anyone who likes m/m romances.

~ TRS for AReCafe ( )
  AReCafe | May 23, 2014 |
It was an entertaining book. Fast reading. ( )
  tcgep | May 21, 2014 |
3.5 stars

This is one of those 100-pages-at-a-time barnburners. And to think I was about to give it away. I was amazed at how many characters Follett introduced in such a short novel and how he was able to keep it all afloat throughout. Of course the content is nothing new: scary virus, bad guys, family drama, unrequited love, even a strange car chase. And it all wraps up in a nice bow at the end. But, if you want fast-paced entertainment, this fits the bill quite nicely. ( )
1 vote alienhard | Mar 26, 2014 |
It was not action-packed but the characters and their interactions kept me reading.

The basic premise: During a snowstorm on Christmas Eve, a deadly virus is stolen from the laboratory and the security director, Toni Gallo, with pangs of guilt for having not prevented the theft and in love with the scientist who owns the medical research firm that developed it, goes on a deperate search for the thieves before they can get away and transfer it to whomever it is that seeks it. The blizzard makes it all the more harder to catch the theives before the trail runs cold and they are gone.

It's a good read. The characters and their development in the story will, I think, want you to keep on reading it. I especially was intrigued by Stanley Oxenford's, the owner of the research laboratory, character with whom Toni falls in love, a man about 20 years younger than her.

However, I must add a warning that was brought to my attention by a comment made from another reviewer wherein he stated, "the 'love' scene between the two teenagers was a bit much. Even though it was fiction It felt creepy reading about kids doing sexual things to each other. I know it happens but that doesn't mean I have to like reading (in detail at that!) about it."

With shame, I must agree, although (to my shame) while reading it I experienced no such moral sensitivity. ( )
  atdCross | Aug 25, 2013 |

Ken Follettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raffo, AnnamariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Two tired men look at Antonia Gallo with resentment and hostility in their eyes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451215710, Mass Market Paperback)

As a Christmas Eve blizzard whips out of the north, several people converge on a remote family house. As the storm worsens, the emotional sparks-jealousies, distrust, sexual attraction, rivalries-crackle, desperate secrets are revealed, hidden traitors and unexpected heroes emerge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:15 -0400)

When a canister of a deadly virus disappears and a lab technician starts bleeding from the eyes, Toni Gallo, the security director of a Scottish medical research firm, knows she has problems. When a Christmas Eve blizzard whips out of the north, a group meets in a remote family house: Stanley Oxenford, the research company's director, who has developed a drug to fight the virus; his children who have their eyes on the money it will bring; Toni Gallo who is betting her career on keeping the drug safe; a local television reporter determined to the get the story, even if it means bending the facts; and a violent trio of thugs out to steal the drug for a client who has something shocking in mind. As the storm worsens, jealousies, distrust, sexual attraction, and rivalries crackle; secrets are revealed and hidden traitors and unexpected heroes emerge.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,803,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible