With No One As Witness by Elizabeth George

With No One As Witness (2005)

by Elizabeth George

English (29)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (35)
It was fairly clear early on who the "bad guy" was, but not 100% for sure definitively. That was an added bonus. No spoiler alerts here, There is no reason to spoil your fun.

The book is pretty long for a mystery. My paperback came in at 630 pages! But I had to continue to read.... There are four plots going on. One is the eternal style-differential between Lynley and his superior officer Hillier. One is Constable Barbara Havers and her neighbors. The other two would need "spoiler alerts" notices, so I won't go there.

It could be that all Lynley's books have these plots to some degree, but I am a neophyte, having only seen the Masterpiece Mystery versions. Part of the reason I found this book so compelling was precisely because I had seen episodes with shadows of this book, but never exactly this book. ( )
  kaulsu | Mar 24, 2014 |
As always, a good story, enjoyable ongoing characters. Her books are not "a piece of fluff". They take some concentration! ( )
  JanicsEblen | Sep 22, 2013 |
What a phenomenal book! Powerful with in-depth characters and a great plot. Not your everyday murder mystery. WELL worth the read. ( )
  TracyCampbell | May 28, 2013 |
Too many POVs in this mystery novel, which made the story very piecemeal, like a quilt with messy seams. The characters are very human and realistic, but I didn't really like any of them particularly. Maybe if you love crime novels this one will intrigue you, but I'll be okay if I don't read anymore from this series. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Apr 7, 2013 |
It was a good read, not predictable. I also like the characters of Havers and Lynley. The comparison between the book and the series I saw on TV didn't automatically turn out in favour of one of them. They are equally good to me.
The subject of a serial killer killing young boys gives me the shivers, but without a serious problem there is no book... And that's what the police is for, to solve the murders.
I wasn't as taken by this book as I was with the other I read (What came before he shot her), but it still was very good.
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
. . . and if you gaze for long into the abyss,
the abyss gazes also into you -- Nietzsche
For Miss Audra Isadora, with love
Kimmo Thorne liked Dietrich best of all: the hair, the legs, the cigarette holder, the top hat and tails.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060545615, Mass Market Paperback)

When the Metropolitan Police fail to realise a serial killer is at work, London ignites over the fact that the killer's victims are young black and mixed race boys. Institutionalised racism is claimed by the community's activists and tabloids alike. Acting Superintendent Thomas Lynley is given the case, and his Scotland Yard task force is soon handling more killings and a looming tragedy.Elizabeth George brings to the familiar subject of the serial killer a freshness and clarity of vision that provide illuminating insight into the psychological complexity of the tortured criminal mind. She does so within a richly textured, thrillingly suspenseful narrative that defies any reader to predict its outcome. Nor does she neglect our favourite characters, whose private lives provide an engrossing counterpoint to their professional duties.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:47 -0400)

When an adolescent boy is found murdered under bizarre circumstances, New Scotland Yard acting superintendent Thomas Lynley and his colleagues tie the crime to a series of killings but find the case complicated by racial issues. Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley takes on the case of his career. When it comes to spellbinding suspense and page-turning excitement, New York Times bestselling author Elizabeth George always delivers. As the Wall Street Journal raves, "Ms. George can do it all, with style to spare." In With No One as Witness, Elizabeth George has crafted an intricate, meticulously researched, and absorbing story sure to enthrall her readers. Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley is back, along with his longtime partner, the fiery Barbara Havers, and newly promoted Detective Sergeant Winston Nkata. They are on the hunt for a sinister killer. When an adolescent boy's nude body is found mutilated and artfully arranged on the top of a tomb, it takes no large leap for the police to recognize this as the work of a serial killer. This is the fourth victim in three months but the first to be white. Hoping to avoid charges of institutionalized racism in its failure to pursue the earlier crimes to their conclusion, New Scotland Yard hands the case over to Lynley and his colleagues. The killer is a psychopath who does not intend to be stopped. Worse, a devastating tragedy within the police ranks causes them to fumble in their pursuit of him.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,696,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible