Fairy Mom and Me #2: Fairy In Waiting by…

Fairy Mom and Me #2: Fairy In Waiting (edition 2019)

by Sophie Kinsella (Author)

Member:calicok3
Title:Fairy Mom and Me #2: Fairy In Waiting
Authors:Sophie Kinsella (Author)
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2019), 160 pages
Rating:***
Tags:children, fairy, magic

Fairy Mom and Me #2: Fairy In Waiting by Sophie Kinsella

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the second 'Fairy in Waiting' book that I've read by Sopie Kinsella and I find them a bit hit and miss. The second book in the series, 'Fairy In Waiting' is a collection of four short stories about Ella Brook whose Mum is secretly a magical fairy. Ella's Mum is not particularly good at casting spells and her inability to successfully complete a spell leads Ella into many crazy adventures. I love the illustrations in the book, they are light-hearted, energetic, and fun. The story line is geared towards six to eight year olds, but depending on the reader, the actual reading level is better suited for someone a bit older (9-12 year old's). The problem is the story is too young for those readers, so this is likely going to be a book that needs someone to read it aloud. One pro to this is that Kinsella has developed four, high-energy stories which lend themselves well to narration. My favourite part of the book is the easy homemade ice cream recipe at the back! I know adult and child readers alike will enjoy 'magic-ing' up that treat! ( )
  calicok3 | Apr 15, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This sequel is just as zany as the first book with spell disasters and fun, especially for all those who dream of fairy magic. Ella who is eager to become a fairy, just like her mother, manages to stir up mischief in each mini story. Her mother of course is right there alongside her stirring up her own amount along the way. A wonderful mother and daughter team that will keep the reader smiling and laughing. A fun read!

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Mar 5, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This saccharine collection of four misadventures about a girl and her mother who is a fairy, will be enthusiastically greeted by fans of the first book in the series. It is very readable and the illustrations are charming but the concept itself is so cutesy and absurd that it feels satirical (so many sparkles and sprinkles!).

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher for review. ( )
  fionaanne | Mar 1, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ella Brook has a secret. A secret so big that she can’t share it with anyone…ever. Ella’s mom is a fairy and Ella wants to be just like her. With her handy Computawand and just the right spell, Ella’s mom can stop the rain, perfectly braid Ella’s hair, and even empty a busy airport! The problem is that sometimes Ella’s mom can be a little forgetful and when that happens someone has to step in to save the day. Right?

Ella has watched all of her mom’s fairy classes on FairyTube and has memorized the magic spells on her Computawand. She’s positive that she’s ready to be a fairy, even though her mom says she’s too young and has to wait until she’s older. Ella doesn’t agree and the results are sticky, chilly, sprinkle-topped disaster!

Author Sophie Kinsella works a little magic of her own with her latest children’s chapter book, Fairy in Waiting. In this charming sequel to Fairy Mom and Me, humorous misadventures, unexpected spell results, and light-hearted family fun once again pop up at the turn of every page. Marta Kissi’s appealing black and white illustrations add their own touch of magic throughout the book, as well. Kinsella’s chapter book series, Mummy Fairies is sure to capture the imagination of young readers everywhere. Readeridoo!

Many thanks to LibraryThing for selecting me to receive an early reviewer’s copy of this delightful book. ( )
  RavenShoe | Feb 27, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program.

It is so hard to describe this book! It seems like a very typical kids' book at first, but quickly becomes extremely imaginative and quirky. It is completely different than anything else by Sophie that I have ever read, but it is such a pleasure to read - and so surprising - that you just lose all sense of time while reading.

I don't want to give away any details of the stories, but I will say this: each chapter is a standalone story that involves the same characters, but each chapter is fully understandable and enjoyable on its own. Sort of like watching a sitcom, you don't need to watch the episodes in order or even catch them all to have maximum enjoyment.

The characters are memorable, the situations are absolutely ridiculous (but it's a kids' book, so this is a plus), and kids will love it. The stories are so vibrant, and involve magic spells they all follow the same memorable formula (and always end up causing far more trouble than anticipated), kids will love reading this book.

I could definitely see Sophie shopping this around to Netflix and Amazon to become an animated TV show.

I feel very lucky to have received this copy and would certainly buy others in the series. ( )
  ScribbleKey | Feb 24, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Sophie Kinsella's book Fairy Mom and Me: Fairy-In-Waiting is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,206,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible